Audio-GD Compass came in mail today. Rattling inside...help!
Dec 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kaidao

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I received a Audio-GD Compass today and while I was opening it, I heard there was rattling inside. So I opened it up and took a look and this is what I found:

Another one of those came in the same package, but obviously without the bent pins. This is my first amp/DAC so I'm a bit worried.

What is this and most importanlyt..is it broken? Also, as I set it on my table, one of the pins (on the very end) completely broke off.

Here's a picture of the other one with an extra cable that came with it.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 10
You have one broken opa, the other may still be usable as the earth wire is not essential (although it's recommended you connect to ground on the Audio-GD site). Where did you get the Compass from?

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 10
A seller here on Head-Fi. I got everything figured out though, I just stuck in the Moon (non broken) OPA  without grounding it in. I still have to wait a couple of days for my headphones to come in before I can test it out. Should be fine though. I'll try the Earth OPA with the broken pin to see if it still works, and if it doesn't, I might have to contact Audio-GD for a replacement.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 10
 This is too bad, buy the Earth HDAM DUAL OPA from Audio-GD as soon as possible.
 This should be only a matter of replacing this component and everything will be allright.
 I don't have too much eletronic knowledge but if I was you, I'd rather not try the broken pin OPA on your Compass.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 10
That's pretty crappy that another head-fier shipped an amp this way. I really hope you get this worked out. You may want to contact the seller and ask for a partial refund.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
That's pretty crappy that another head-fier shipped an amp this way. I really hope you get this worked out. You may want to contact the seller and ask for a partial refund.

It wasn't shipped this way. The seller was very helpful when I brought this to his attention, and did offer a reimbursement, but no one is really to blame except the shipping handlers. I'm positive it wasn't shipped this way, as the pictures posted in the original for sale post was flawless. I just can't wait til my headphones get in, can't wait to try out this paired with the HD600's.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Hmmm, not sure the seller should have shipped it with the HDAM inserted, knowing carriers are going to toss it around. Also, how did the carrier cut the wire? Not saying the seller did this, but sounds suspicious.

Quote:
Quote:

It wasn't shipped this way. The seller was very helpful when I brought this to his attention, and did offer a reimbursement, but no one is really to blame except the shipping handlers. I'm positive it wasn't shipped this way, as the pictures posted in the original for sale post was flawless. I just can't wait til my headphones get in, can't wait to try out this paired with the HD600's.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Was it packed adequately though?

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 10
If the seller ain't lying, then what probably happened is that first the HDAM probably came out of the socket, whereupon it was only attached by the wire.  Then the wire snapped letting the HDAM go free completely.
Quote:
Hmmm, not sure the seller should have shipped it with the HDAM inserted, knowing carriers are going to toss it around. Also, how did the carrier cut the wire? Not saying the seller did this, but sounds suspicious.

Quote:
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back