Audio-GD Compass - 3 years on
Apr 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Olev

Head-Fier
I just noticed that my Compass had its 3rd birthday a month ago. How many of you guys still remember the buzz it made? I still have it in day to day use at work and it keeps up quite nicely. Opened it up and it looks like on the day I bought it. For me it was the first step into "hi-fi" from Zero DAC. A year later I followed it with Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 (from the time PCM1704 was used in "cheaper" a-gd DACs) and Little-Dot MK IV SE as HP amp - but there I stopped and have stayed other than improving on the USB side with Musiland 02 US and Audio-GD Digital Interface feeding the 19MK3 inputs.

So how many of you guys still have your Compass in use and if not - where has it lead you?

May 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 3
 /Raises hand.

Still got mine.  Listening to Dorset Perception by Shpongle through Sennheiser HD600s with it right now. 

I've been wondering recently how I could improve my audio setup.  I'm fairly clueless about audio hardware in general but I had read that a headphone amp would help make my Sennheiser headphones sound better which lead me to owning the audio-gd compass.  I've been trying to figure out what would be a good upgrade and after spending a lot of time reading this and that all over the place I'm still left scratching my head.

Any suggestions?  Current setup:

AIFF files played on a Macbook Pro through iTunes using BitPerfect through USB connection to audio-gd compass set to low gain, using a ridiculously thick custom-made braided copper wire I bought off e-bay after my second stock replacement cable broke to the Sennheiser HD600s.

Half the time I use those headphones, the other half I use Audioengine A5+ speakers from the MacbookPro passed through the audio gd compass  (not sure what, if anything, it is doing to the sound - I think it is just passthrough)

Other gear available though not currently used:
- Windows 7 PC with Auzentech X-Meridian 2G 7.1 card
- Logitech Z-5500 (Haven't used these since the day I switched on the Audioengine A5N+ speakers!)

I noticed the HD800s which look interesting, but I don't think I'd get much value over the HD600s given the pricetag ($1250).

Any general suggestions on what would be a good upgrade?

May 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 3
Sold my compass a few months. I still worked perfectly and tbh, I kinda miss it. I enjoyed the flexibility of it and the sound signature. Worked well with about anything that I threw at it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back