Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
May 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #166 of 438
edit: nvrmind I think I installed it properly, now I dont get sound -.-

well after a few more buttons pushed I got it working lol

it seems Gain and Line In must be pushed for Max gain and for use as amp/dac

2 hour operation smh

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #167 of 438
Just a quick question, how would the original Compass work with planars (LCD-2, HE-500) and dynamics (D2000, KNS 8400, IEMs?), especially with different gain settings. Also any comments on how the DAC sections stacks up?

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #168 of 438
Jesus Christ, can someone who speaks ENGLISH do a step by step guide on how to install the Compass 2's USB drivers to actually make the ***damn thing work? The instructions on the A-GD site is... well, it's impossible to read.

I'm fortunate that my laptop has an optical out, because I would have flung the Compass 2 against the wall by now.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #169 of 438
Jesus Christ, can someone who speaks ENGLISH do a step by step guide on how to install the Compass 2's USB drivers to actually make the ***damn thing work? The instructions on the A-GD site is... well, it's impossible to read.

I'm fortunate that my laptop has an optical out, because I would have flung the Compass 2 against the wall by now.

What guide are you following and how far? I might be able to help, as installed mine just over a week ago

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #170 of 438
The one posted on the USB32 page on Audio-GD's website. Followed it, and all it does is make my computer hang when I try to test the dac in the sound devices. I'm unsure which version I'm supposed to download, but I assume it's the first version, since I bought the Compass 2 a while ago.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #171 of 438
Quote:
The one posted on the USB32 page on Audio-GD's website. Followed it, and all it does is make my computer hang when I try to test the dac in the sound devices. I'm unsure which version I'm supposed to download, but I assume it's the first version, since I bought the Compass 2 a while ago.

so you downloaded v1.22, are you sure the buttons are set for DAC only? I know the instructions don't say anything about which buttons to press or to turn on

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #172 of 438
Everything on the physical end is set up properly. My computer locks up when trying to get audio to play through the usb. I have to switch to another device so it works again.

End result: no audio through usb

I've had the Compass 2 for awhile. Didnt have any issues installing the usb the first time, but every time after that (different computers), I have been unsuccessful, and have had to use the optical connection.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #173 of 438
Everything on the physical end is set up properly. My computer locks up when trying to get audio to play through the usb. I have to switch to another device so it works again.

End result: no audio through usb

I've had the Compass 2 for awhile. Didnt have any issues installing the usb the first time, but every time after that (different computers), I have been unsuccessful, and have had to use the optical connection.

How long is a while ago, does it have a USB32? Maybe the driver is not being compatible with non USB32

Well there is also a few mysteries with mine lol I guess it just comes with the language barrier, else a Chinese friend that can read Chinese is the best way to go

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #175 of 438
Quote:
I believe all Compass 2s come with USB32.

You need to check the firmware version, or flash a known firmware with the upgrade toolkit that is provided on the website.

From there, once you're sure which version you have, you should install:
-1.1 for firmware #3
- 1.22 for firmware #4 & 5
- 2.0 for firmwares 7 & 8

The procedure is quite simple:
- Remove the old driver that might be present on your computer (go Panel Control -> Devices Manager -> Audio, video controllers -> Uninstall your "audio-gd" (firmware>3) or "SVB202" (firmware = 3) device and check "remove driver".
- Then you should delete from the VIA folder located in Program Files (x86) the following sub-folders: VIAudUsb & Setup.
- If you've got firmware #3, you should delete the HIEND folder in Program Files (x86).
- If you've got firmware >3, you should delete the folder in which you extracted the USB-32 drivers (from the rar package. If you followed Audio-GD installation procedure, it should be located in c: with a folder name that match the drivers (e.g AudiogdUSB32v2.0forwin)

- Extract the new drivers in c:
- Connect your DAC and power it on.
- Launch the installer and enjoy.

Note: the installation won't succeed if the DAC is off :wink:

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #176 of 438
I just got the Compass 2 today and it wont work for me.. I have the compass 2 plug in to my imac via USB. I did change the sound output to Audio Gd and checked the audio midi setup. I tried it with Itunes + Audirvana Plus but no sound is coming out of the headphones. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help me out. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #177 of 438
Did you follow driver install instructions?

I just got the Compass 2 today and it wont work for me.. I have the compass 2 plug in to my imac via USB. I did change the sound output to Audio Gd and checked the audio midi setup. I tried it with Itunes + Audirvana Plus but no sound is coming out of the headphones. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help me out. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #179 of 438
Quote:

Hi KamijolsMyHero,

I was under the impression that I didn't need to install any drivers for Mac? I'm going to take a look at the links at the audio-gd site and try it out. Thank you.

oh right drivers are only for windows but this "[size=x-small]Mac OSX , Linux (MMX)  and SPDIF inputs without driver install necessary . [/size]" is a little ambigious so I am not 100% sure about that

If you haven't already, push in the right most button in the front plate if you are going to use it as an amp and dac

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #180 of 438
Quote:
oh right drivers are only for windows but this "[size=x-small]Mac OSX , Linux (MMX)  and SPDIF inputs without driver install necessary . [/size]" is a little ambigious so I am not 100% sure about that

If you haven't already, push in the right most button in the front plate if you are going to use it as an amp and dac

It finally worked! I don't know what happened when I first tried it but after retoggle-ing between internal speakers and audio-gd to setting the preferences at audirvana, when i pressed line in button sound suddenly came out! (odd when I did try the line in button previously it wasn't working) Thank you! really appreciate the help! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back