Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #227 of 438
The good news is that I received the WM8741 and PCM5102 modules today from Kingwa.  As always the service was great and delivery fast.

The bad news is that when removing the Sabre 9018 DAC board from the socket, 3 of the pins detached from the board and had to be removed with needle nose pliers, rendering the Sabre board broken.  Needless to say im absolutely gutted, so please be careful when switching the DAC boards over.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #228 of 438
Dan.. that's brutal news. You should email Kingwa (with photographs) to complain. This IS meant to be a modular amp and swapping out various modules is meant to be easy. You've got me worried too, and now I'd be reticent about ordering any new modules from him.

I really don't know if this is possible, but you might want to take the broken board + loose pins to an electronic repair shop and see if they can do resolder.

Keep us updated please. Also point out that you've posted to this board.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #229 of 438
  Dan.. that's brutal news. You should email Kingwa (with photographs) to complain. This IS meant to be a modular amp and swapping out various modules is meant to be easy. You've got me worried too, and now I'd be reticent about ordering any new modules from him.

I really don't know if this is possible, but you might want to take the broken board + loose pins to an electronic repair shop and see if they can do resolder.

Keep us updated please. Also point out that you've posted to this board.

I have emailed Kingwa but I don't want to make a massive deal out of it at this point as these things can happen, not everything is created equal.  The pins are long gone, I would need to get the whole bank of pins replaced.  I just have my fingers crossed for Kingwa's response, I have worked in IT for 20 years so I know what im doing around electronics.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #230 of 438
Well I have spoken to Kingwa and he was sympathetic.  He has offered to repair the DAC board for free as long as I pay all postage fees, which will amount to somewhere in the $60 range if I send it insured and not on a prayer.  Otherwise he is willing to send me some free pins to be re-soldered locally.  

I must admit that I am a little disappointed that I would be asked to pay both inbound and outbound postage for the repair given that I have spent nearly $700 on the Compass 2, shipping and additional DAC modules.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #231 of 438
$60!! Did you ask how much a replacement board would cost.. seems like it work out about the same? Mind you I wouldn't bother with insurance, but yeah that sounds a little tight fisted if you ask me, seeing as you've given him so much custom.

What if the problem wasn't the actual module but the female connectors on the main electrical board being too tight and pulling off the pins? Have to tried swapping your new modules? 

Just had a look at Audio-GD's website - their DIY kits / modules etc cost roughly $20 to ship - you get them fast but boy is it expensive. In those terms, he's only charging you $20 to fix it.  My bad.. at least he's doing it for free which seems fair.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #232 of 438
  $60!! Did you ask how much a replacement board would cost.. seems like it work out about the same? Mind you I wouldn't bother with insurance, but yeah that sounds a little tight fisted if you ask me, seeing as you've given him so much custom.

What if the problem wasn't the actual module but the female connectors on the main electrical board being too tight and pulling off the pins? Have to tried swapping your new modules? 

Just had a look at Audio-GD's website - their DIY kits / modules etc cost roughly $20 to ship - you get them fast but boy is it expensive. In those terms, he's only charging you $20 to fix it.

Shipping from china is only $18, its getting it out there that is the problem and that is not really his fault.

Yeah they socket was very very tight.

I always insure my items as id imagine the DAC module will cost about $80 but im waiting for Kingwa to get back to me as its the middle of the night out there now.
I'm currently running the WM module and I'm really impressed.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #233 of 438
This is why I don't DIY. Always afraid of breaking something, with my huge, clumsy hands.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #234 of 438
I'm currently running the WM module and I'm really impressed.

Yes, thank goodness it was not the wm8741 that broke :wink:

I have changed between my modules severel times and had no problem. The modules seem pretty strong to me.
I think it is obvious that the broken module was defective and it would be a shame to write of such a good product as the compass based on this unfortunate incident.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #237 of 438
My impressions are on p14 #200

Thanks, I've already read it. Wanna see more opinions! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #238 of 438
Yes, thank goodness it was not the wm8741 that broke :wink:

I have changed between my modules severel times and had no problem. The modules seem pretty strong to me.
I think it is obvious that the broken module was defective and it would be a shame to write of such a good product as the compass based on this unfortunate incident.

I agree that the module must have been defective as I have had no issue with any electronics in the past.  I understand that its not a perfect world, not everything is created equal and these things will happen.  There is no doubt the Compass 2 is a great bit of kit, its a good amplifier, great DAC and a decent pre-amp.  I am a little disappointed how Kingwa seems to have taken the stance that it was my fault (though he has not said this directly, its assumed due to his response) and that I will be liable for outgoing and return postage.  Regardless, it is winging its way back to Kingwa for repair and I had a nice surprise at the Post Office as there was no que and it ended up being £4 cheaper than I expected.

Please share your impressions about sonic differences of modules! 

The Sabre is exactly what everyone states.  Very detailed, almost clinical and a tiny bit bright.

I have only been using the WM8741 module for a few days now but it is very nice.  Warm, involving and musical, with decent detail.  Its definitely the module I would pick if I wanted to listen to the music and not the hardware.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #239 of 438
Hi Guys,

just placed an order for the Compass 2 (2XW8741) with TXCO option,

I currently use my K601 (better for me  (more linear, more homogeneous), that my previous K701 o Q701) and Etymotic ER4PT with Matrix Mstage and a brand new JDS Odac. Fantastic combination although quite analytical and I have decided to go for the Wolfson version to add a different "flavour" and test different combinations (MStage + Compass2 as DAC, or JDS Odac with Compass2 as Amp, so 4 combinations all in all). I have not asked for the ES9018 chip so far unless I feel that we the Wolfson is too dark for my tastes. 

One question I have though. Would you consider that the Wolfson has a larger soundstage that the SabreES9018? Generally speaking I would tend to think that a "creamier" sound reduces the soundstage. Can anybody confirm this, regarless they own or use the Compass2?

Will keep you posted on my impressions. 

Best regards from Spain.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #240 of 438
Read Dafo's link a few posts up
smile.gif
  He states that the soundstage is the same on both those chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back