Audio-GD C2.1 and Grado RS2i...........Match Made In Heaven Or Keep Looking?
Mar 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

vince321

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have done a number of searches to find some information on this amp and how it works with Grado Headphones.  However, the search function on this forum is difficult and after hours of reading various posts and being unable to find an answer, I thought it would be best to get an opinion from the board.

This is my first "real" amp purchase outside of CMOY and am trying to maximize my "bang-for-the-buck."  

If not this SS amp, than maybe an Ear HD+..........but this unit is way more $$$

Thanks for any and all information.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 28
I think for the Grado, the Audio-GD Fun might be sufficient.  I know the Audio-GD Fun thread contains many comments about grado users. That way you get a dac and amp combo.
I think the Audio-GD C-2.1 might not be necessary, unless you already have a quality dac.
I suggest the Fun with Moon OPA. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 28
Yeah, it's difficult to find anything on the C-2. And there literally isn't anything out on the C-2.1 because they just updated it about a month ago. Though it's supposedly more neutral than the C-2.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 28
I haven't heard that many amps but based on research I bought a Little Dot 1+ Hybrid and can honestly say that it is amazing with the RS2i. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 28
Hello All,

Thanks for the info.

There has been many years of in-activity, so not many posts.  Mostly I'm a "lurker" who reads a bunch and absorbs what others on the board post and try to wade through all the superficial info.

With that being said, I do have a DAC so am not interested in the FUN.  In addition, who knows what the future holds for additional head phones?  Best to be prepared with plenty of power.

Based upon the responses above, it appears this amp may be a good fit?

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 28
I tried my combo DAC 19-DSP + Audio-GD C2 (with OPA Moon when i made the test) with a Grado RS-1 (not mine), first i made a try with ACSS the result was satisfying : Big Bass well controlled, C-2 has good "grip" on it, medium was extremely pleasant, detailed and smooth and slightly colored (on some cans medium tend to sound too "metallic" or "woody", on the RS-1 it was just perfect), highs were smooth and extended but with a bit more "crunch" than all other Headphones i tried, but it was the first time i was listening a Grado...

My friend (the owner of the Grado) put it on his head and tell me that the sound was very good (he use to listen the RS-1 on his rig : Cambridge Dac Magic + Head-Amp Ray Samuels Audio HR-2), and then we tried both with the Moon OPA, i find the sound different but not better IMO : with the Moons the bass was more "chesty" and gave a better sensation of deepness but was also a bit more "boomy", the medium was slightly more colored and the highs sound more "rounded" (soundstage seems also a bit wider).

My friend preferred the sound with OPA Moon and tell me it was excellent, and I tend to prefer with ACSS because i found it more accurate...

The test was done on the track "So what" from the Album "A Kind of blue" and some various other pop/rock songs.

The end of the story was : two days ago, i bought a Grado :)

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks for the info.

There has been many years of in-activity, so not many posts.  Mostly I'm a "lurker" who reads a bunch and absorbs what others on the board post and try to wade through all the superficial info.

With that being said, I do have a DAC so am not interested in the FUN.  In addition, who knows what the future holds for additional head phones?  Best to be prepared with plenty of power.

Based upon the responses above, it appears this amp may be a good fit?

If your DAC isn't from Audio-GD and don't have ACSS connectors C-2 or C-2.1 is not a good choice, the good thing of these amp is the ability to switch from ACSS (Discrete amplification) to OPA amplification, but if you don't connect your source to the ACSS connector, it's just a simple OPA amplifier... good amp but for 350$ you can find a better tube amp...

Or there's a second possibility you ask to Audio-GD to replace ACSS connectors by RCA connectors... and then you connect the both input (3 and 2) of the C-2 to the output of your DAC (a Y connector can help), so you'll have the ability to switch from ACSS to OPA (and if you want, install OPA Moon).

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 28
I have found that RS2i tend to sound slightly harsh with SS, but if you want to go this way, the KICAS Caliente is a good choice at the current sale price.  Do a search and you will find that some found the Caliente to work well with the RS1i. At this price range I will also be interested in the forthcoming Musical Paradise 301 MkII.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 28
That's the good thing about the C-2.1, it has ACSS which is neutral which can be bright for the Grados but it also has an option to go RCA using for example the Moon OPA through RCA which is more softer, tube like musical presentation (according to Audio gd). 

But having said, that, tubes are the best but for solid state, audio gd is a good compromise. 
Quote:
I have found that RS2i tend to sound slightly harsh with SS, but if you want to go this way, the KICAS Caliente is a good choice at the current sale price.  Do a search and you will find that some found the Caliente to work well with the RS1i. At this price range I will also be interested in the forthcoming Musical Paradise 301 MkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back