Audio Cables... in General
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Bogdan Audio cables (RCA's, specifically) and power cables. It appears that their Goldy Silver line of both is rather affordable. (On Audiogon auctioning for less than $150 ea., while 'retailing' for +$600, if that can be believed.) Are they as good a value as I am led to hope?

Bogdan Home (not featuring the Goldy Silver power cord, for some reason)

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 32
Haven't heard them, but the supposed "retail" prices of most of the cables sold on Audiogon $1 auctions (Aural Thrills, Black Mountain, Bogdan) are hugely inflated to make it seem like you are getting a better deal than you really are. Virtual Dynamics also engages in this practice and I generally don't like it.

By far the worst offender though was Electraglide. They would list prices for their cords at 5 and 6 thousand dollars, and then privately sell them to you for about $700.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard them, but the supposed "retail" prices of most of the cables sold on Audiogon $1 auctions (Aural Thrills, Black Mountain, Bogdan) are hugely inflated to make it seem like you are getting a better deal than you really are. Virtual Dynamics also engages in this practice and I generally don't like it.

By far the worst offender though was Electraglide. They would list prices for their cords at 5 and 6 thousand dollars, and then privately sell them to you for about $700.

I agree, that practice leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Supposedly they went distro/retail? Years back, Bogdan was more internet-direct. I still have a pair of Silver Princess interconnects I bought from them for $90 in '03/04: solid core pure silver wire, in three very over-sized teflon air tubes with Eichmann bullet RCAs. Hard to complain about that for the money! My friend Purk still has a few pairs of their Silver Spirit interconnects, which were a few steps higher in the line than the Princess. I'm told they're VERY good.

Their new stuff just seems gratuitously expensive
frown.gif

Not that the rest of the cable industry sets a great example either.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 32
Thanks for the info, all. This is very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had a feeling that they shouldn't really be valued at +$600, but I bet, between $100 and $200 per set, this is a reasonable value (?). There is actually very little to be found on here and the rest of the web that gives a clear impression of their quality/value for the $$$.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I keep on seeing Bogan Cables and can't stop laughing.

This mobile-home dwelling head-fi'er thought the same. For those unfamiliar with the term think redneck.

I am looking for some decent well constructed RCA cables at the moment. All i can find is overpriced crap from the usual retail places.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 32
What about Blue Jeans RCA's, leveller? They appear to be around $35 a set for 2-4 feet. Seems pretty reasonable to me, at least compared to +$100 interconnects. The reviews/word of mouth here seem pretty favorable as well.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 32
BJC just uses Belden Cable. No secrets there. Comparing with 100.00 cables? That would depend on the company. You get what you pay for with them.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 32
To be fair, I think it's really difficult to stand out in this field, so they have to try marketing stunts to get attention. Some entrepreneurs will think, if company A charges this much, why shouldn't I? I wouldn't hold it against them, I can easily imagine one of these cable makers just sitting in his home office cooling his heels, and checking his e-mail several times an hour, praying to god there will be a message from a potential customer. I would just make sure to shop around and exercise caution.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, I think it's really difficult to stand out in this field, so they have to try marketing stunts to get attention. Some entrepreneurs will think, if company A charges this much, why shouldn't I?

Well, it is a rather sad fact of life that the less expensive a cable is (and as well the fewer gimmicks, buzzwords, acronyms, trademarks and patents associated with it), the less seriously it will be taken by many potential customers not to mention reviewers.

Not all of course, but many. Enough so that there is a certain amount of market pressure to actually increase prices above what one might otherwise price their cable at.

se

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is a rather sad fact of life that the less expensive a cable is (and as well the fewer gimmicks, buzzwords, acronyms, trademarks and patents associated with it), the less seriously it will be taken by many potential customers not to mention reviewers.

Not all of course, but many. Enough so that there is a certain amount of market pressure to actually increase prices above what one might otherwise price their cable at.

se

Very true. I can make an identical cable (actually better, my silver has 6N's, theirs only has 4
smily_headphones1.gif
) to one that goes for $300+ shipping for about $40 worth of materials. I would be shocked if I could get $60 for them because I don't have logo heatshrink and a fancy website.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 32
Making cables is not too hard. Making them fancy is another thing. There are a few tricks to really make them look nice. Just start with good cable, connectors, and solder and go from there. Made several IC's, power, and headphone cables.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 32
The funny thing to me about them is, they have double-headed power cables, for the purpose of increasing the contact with the sockets 100%. However, you can just buy a $30 jar of Silclear and smear it on the contacts on your regular power cables for the same effect! They do look pretty though.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FraGGleR, I just looked at the link to your DIY cables. Very neat, and fancy.

Thanks! I have always loved arts and crafts so this has been a very gratifying extension of the headphone hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back