Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #76 of 306
Quote:

Sorry but I cannot agree with this. USB DAC + integrated AMP is what this device is defined. If you look at it's predecessor, HUD-MX1, it simply can not work as a standalone AMP.

sorry about that. i meant to type people will be using the headphone out most of the time along with the DAC section on the same PCB layout. but the original post i quoted also asked if it was to be used as a DAC mainly where as the headphone amp took second priority. i should have worded it more carefully to avoid misunderstandings like this.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #77 of 306
Quote:
mine hasn't been shipped out yet. i'm expecting it to ship monday in south korea. if anything... tuesday by the latest. if not, i'll be messaging audinst.

I would not worry so much much. It will most likely go out tomorrow. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #78 of 306
Quote:
MX2 has a S/PDIF optical input (MX1 doesn't), which, technically, can make it work only as an amp. DAC works with USB input only.

Saying that, I still think MX2 is more on the USB DAC side. It would be a good choice if you just need a simple, budget, easy-to-carry integrated DAC+AMP device. 

Optical input is digital, meaning the DAC section still functions just like it does with a USB input. There's no way to feed it an analog signal and use it purely as an amp.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #80 of 306
Thanks for correcting me! 

I read from somewhere that even if you run a S/PDIF cable from PC's integrated sound card to MX2's S/PDIF input, you still get signal that has been "processed" by the sound card, meaning the SQ is worse compare with getting signal from the USB port. Is it true? If it is, what's the cheapest (but reasonable) way to make full use of the S/PDIF input correctly?

Sorry about my poor English but I hope you could understand my question.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #82 of 306
I've had mine for a couple days now and I don't find the DAC bright at all. My first impressions were it's a little dark and the soundstage a little narrower than my onboard stock soundcard.. How long should I burn in it for and how? 

I initially used the AC plug but i've since taken that out. It produces an audible noise which I can't take. Once I've burned this in properly and have gotten accustomed to the sound, I'll use the plug again and see if it improves the sound. The unit also gets quite warm when using the plug which worries me. This is my first DAC so if anyone can chime in about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Other than that, every other impression is positive. This unit is built like a tank. I had to tighten the volume knob just a bit for fear of accidentally nudging it and blasting my ears. I'm running it through the USB and it has a much lower hiss than my stock soundcard. The detail and refinement is amazing. Every song is presented much better. The layering is cleaner. The nuances of each note and instrument is just awesome, I think timbre is the correct word. I like how the unit looks, I find the switches at the front panel very neat. I haven't tried the other inputs and outputs but I'm sure this is plenty from what i'll ever need. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #83 of 306
Hi guys - this is my first post. Just ordered the mx2. My gut feeling is that this is a good dac, i couldnt wait till the full review comes out because the discount ends soon. If anyone who currently owns one can comment further i am sure all those that have ordered one would be grateful.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #84 of 306
Quote:
I've had mine for a couple days now and I don't find the DAC bright at all. My first impressions were it's a little dark and the soundstage a little narrower than my onboard stock soundcard.. How long should I burn in it for and how? 

I initially used the AC plug but i've since taken that out. It produces an audible noise which I can't take. Once I've burned this in properly and have gotten accustomed to the sound, I'll use the plug again and see if it improves the sound. The unit also gets quite warm when using the plug which worries me. This is my first DAC so if anyone can chime in about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Other than that, every other impression is positive. This unit is built like a tank. I had to tighten the volume knob just a bit for fear of accidentally nudging it and blasting my ears. I'm running it through the USB and it has a much lower hiss than my stock soundcard. The detail and refinement is amazing. Every song is presented much better. The layering is cleaner. The nuances of each note and instrument is just awesome, I think timbre is the correct word. I like how the unit looks, I find the switches at the front panel very neat. I haven't tried the other inputs and outputs but I'm sure this is plenty from what i'll ever need. 

I notice the extra heat when using external power, but no added noise. Can you try a different outlet or something? See if maybe it's caused by your wiring rather than the PSU itself. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #86 of 306
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #87 of 306
Hmm. Same outlet with the same setup but no noise this time... I've no clue what's going on. I just turned the unit off, plugged the external power supply on and turned it back on. Well i'm glad that's solved but i'll keep listening intently. Will the extra heat damage the internals of the unit? 

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #90 of 306
audinst said to me on eBay that my order would ship this week.

size]
 wish it was quicker but I understand they likely have ALOT of orders to ship for a small company.

EDIT:

Also appears that the Promo is now over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back