Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #31 of 306
Quote:
Hi Project86, are you still burning in your MX2? Mind give me some first impressions or kind of a non-serious review? Better if you could add comparisons to other similar priced products.

I'm keen to order a MX2 but still want to get assurance (from your review) that this 200 bucks are well spent. 

Thanks,

Early impression is that it is a nice little unit, and a worthy refresh of the original (which is a classic, imo). It sounds roughly the same in terms of sound signature as a DAC, where it seems to have improved clarify and refinement. As a headphone amp, it's a bigger change - a much more "mature" hi-fi sound  which is significantly more detailed. Most people would like it but I'd watch out for bright headphones as they may not pair as well as the original (which was somewhat forgiving).

These are early impressions though so things may change. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #32 of 306
These are early impressions though so things may change. 

Hope you know how heavy the weight on your shoulders is?
Had the finger on the button until this moment - and ordered. I think more than me had the finger on the trigger - sold items gone up to 150...
Looking forward to this experience and upcoming impressions in this thread.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #36 of 306
Thanks for that early impression! I'm going to order one. 
smile.gif

I just need a small and simple gear to use in office from Monday to Friday and probably bring it back home in weekend. Seems MX2 is quite suitable.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #37 of 306
I am actually interested in how this compares to the Yulong U100 as these are the two i am tossing up to pair with my beyer DT770AE set.

Project86: can you do a comparo??

cheers,
G

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #39 of 306
Quote:
Since it's the same price, how does it compare to the Schiit Magni/Modi combo?

Good question. I haven't heard those yet. Hopefully someone can chime in soon who has experience with both.

Quote:
Thanks for that early impression! I'm going to order one. 
smile.gif

I just need a small and simple gear to use in office from Monday to Friday and probably bring it back home in weekend. Seems MX2 is quite suitable.

This is exactly the scenario where the mx2 is a perfect fit. Magni?Modi would not work as well for this type of thing, regardless of SQ.

Quote:
I am actually interested in how this compares to the Yulong U100 as these are the two i am tossing up to pair with my beyer DT770AE set.

Project86: can you do a comparo??

cheers,
G

I gave away my U100 after I reviewed it, but I can probably comment from memory once I have enough time spent. 

Quote:
What's the output impedance? Anyone? 

I have an email in about the very question. I suspect it is at least 10 ohms but we'll see. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 306
@project86: thanks for giving your impressions on this new piece of gear. You mentioned earlier that it might tend to get a little bright with some headphones. Do you think that might apply to AKG K550s? I own a pair of these and love them; just would like to pair them with some proper DAC/Amp. For now I'm running them out of my laptop through a Fiio E10. Thanks for your comments!

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #43 of 306
I have yet to hear the K550 so unfortunately I can't really say for sure. But in general, this is not a specifically bright amp overall. It's just more transparent and extended than the original which means it won't do any favors to a bright headphone. You'll hear the headphone as intended - good or bad. 

I tried my LCD-2.2 with it today and guess what? It sounds very good! The original didn't fare as well with planars as it did with dynamic headphones, but the new model has no such issues. I suspect it has far more output current thanks to the redesigned amp section. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #44 of 306
Does MX2 deserve a better (but still budget) USB cable or if the cable comes with it is good enough? I don't mind spend another 20-30 bucks (10%-15% of the cost of MX2) on a quality USB cable if it can improve the SQ. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #45 of 306
Quote:
Does MX2 deserve a better (but still budget) USB cable or if the cable comes with it is good enough? I don't mind spend another 20-30 bucks (10%-15% of the cost of MX2) on a quality USB cable if it can improve the SQ. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with it. USB cable upgrades are arguable even on ultra-high end systems. But for a $200-300 unit I'd say there's no point.

However, if you really must, the Nuforce Impulse USB cable is very affordable. I'm happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back