Audigy4 Pro: ASIO still at 16/48KHz
Nov 24, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #61 of 68
With all those CS4398 DACs, CS8420 ASRC and it's still bad? If they've "saved" on the clocking circuitry it would be truly stupid.

Maybe the fokes at extremetech missed something, like a bad loopback cable. You won't hit the advertised measurements for 1212m with just any cable, so the same may be happening here.

Still, I wonder what the ASRC chip is doing there... It seems to make most sense if the card is rate locked. The plot thickens.

The main chip markings indicate Audigy2-ZS DSP: CA10200-ICT.

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
With all those CS4398 DACs, CS8420 ASRC and it's still bad? If they've "saved" on the clocking circuitry it would be truly stupid.

Maybe the fokes at extremetech missed something, like a bad loopback cable. You won't hit the advertised measurements for 1212m with just any cable, so the same may be happening here.

Still, I wonder what the ASRC chip is doing there... It seems to make most sense if the card is rate locked. The plot thickens.

The main chip markings indicate Audigy2-ZS DSP: CA10200-ICT.

No, I reread the review. Apparently, Creative told them that the card has crappy inputs, but the output is much better than Audigy 2. So maybe it's not that bad after all. The loopback method won't work with this Audigy.

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
No, I reread the review. Apparently, Creative told them that the card has crappy inputs, but the output is much better than Audigy 2. So maybe it's not that bad after all. The loopback method won't work with this Audigy.

Crappy inputs make sense since it's a consumer card after all. I guess we will have to wait until someone with a proper testing system reviews it. It will show up on ixbt.com (digit-life.com) at some point.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #64 of 68
Yes headphones are for pro players but no headphone makes the sweet boom sound when a nade blows up
wink.gif

Crisp stereo in GTA?Whats with the crisp sound in games anyway.They use low bitrate, lossy, format at 22kHz usually.I think 5.1 is much more impressive.The vertical problem should be solved with EAX2.0[yes 2.0] effects-occlusion and exclusion effect.But games just dont use those futures
rolleyes.gif

Q:Every game runs via Sensaura right?So if Sensaura has 48kHz standard than most of games get resampled to 48khz[from 22 to 48 for instance], yes.Am i thinking the right way?

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #65 of 68
Can Dolby Digital 5.1 be outputted through SPDIF digital output with the Audigy 4 for games?

Or is Creative going to just keep leaving it up to PC game developers that have fallen far behind XBox developers as far as multichannel sound is concerned?

-Ed

Nov 26, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Can Dolby Digital 5.1 be outputted through SPDIF digital output with the Audigy 4 for games?

Or is Creative going to just keep leaving it up to PC game developers that have fallen far behind XBox developers as far as multichannel sound is concerned?

-Ed

The Audigy4 does NOT do Dolby Digital Live (on the fly encoding), but if the game does do AC3 or DTS, it can send it out via SPDIF. However, using the analog side works fine with analog inputs on a receiver, which is what I am doing now. If you want to know how well it did against Soundstorm / Pioneer VSX-S811D (AK4586 DAC), you'll have to wait for my review.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #67 of 68
Well, Chastity ran a udial test and the mighty Audigy4 failed. So the CS ASRC chip is prolly used only for input...

Linky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back