Audigy 2ZS as source?
Oct 3, 2004 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

yaoStaO2

New Head-Fier
Right now i currently have the audigy 2zs pci card attached into my computer pci slot and i am using it to run my Klipsch 5.1 ultras. The current situation is that i want to buy the Sennsheiser HD-595s so i wouldnt have to disturb my neighbors and my family around me during the night. Problem is after reading some of the threads thoughout the board, i am starting to feel little scared that the new headphones wont be able to work on my audigy 2 zs pci card.
BTW i plan on using my headphones through the exteral jacks on my speakers so it wont directly be connected to my sound card. What should i do? Look for a different headphone or will it be fine with my setup? I ask because I really dont want to purchase the headphones if i have to switch to another card. It was not that long ago that I just bought my audigy 2ZS and besides, the new headphones are already going to cost 200.

Thanks
*1st time post

Oct 3, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 35
Plugging headphones into the headphone jack on the klipsch promedias is a bad idea, it sounds awful, you would be better plugging it directly into the back of your soundcard, but that is still not a good idea.

When it comes to high class headphones, you NEED a headphone amp, don't even waste the money if you dont plan to buy one.

I'd consider buying a E-MU 0404 or Chaintech AV-710 -> Cmoy/Pimeta -> Headphones (whatever you choose, i'd look at others than just the 595)

You can run both soundcards together at the same time, keep the klipsch's plugged into the audigy, and use the EMU for music through your headphones.

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 35
Hi. Welcome to headfi.

I dont have the 959, but I do have its little brother the 590 and it will run decently directly out of your soundcard if your on a budget. You could always get a used CMoy amp for a cheap $30 though.

I also have computer speakers connected on my souncard aside from the headphones. What I did was I used a Y-splitter so that I could connect both the PC speakers and heaphone rig to the soundcard. It wont be hi-fi to most here, but this will get you started on a decent setup with minimal expense.

Oct 4, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 35
While I've heard that the Audigy2 gives good power for a soundcard(not good sound mind you), I second the recomendation for a cmoy and maybe picking up a better adapter for 1/8" outputs.

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 35
After reading through many threads about the Audigy 2, I wondered how bad could it be? I have been using it for games, and they sounded quite decent to me.

So, I decided to disconnect the Corda HA-1 Mk1 from my Yamaha Pianocraft minisystem and connect it to my Audigy 2 card (well, it wasn't truly a fair comparison because my Corda was connected to the Yamaha using DiMarzio cables, while I used stock mini-to-RCA cables for my Audigy 2).

Listening through my Senn HD580/Cardas headphones, the Audigy 2 was a terrible source. Compared to my Yamaha (which is not even a mid-fi system), the Audigy 2 sounded like listening to poorly encoded MP3s. There was no bass at all and the treble was lifeless; it was even worse than listening to the headphone-out of my minisystem. I almost threw away my headphones in disgust; never thought the Senn and Corda combo could be this bad.

IMHO, the Audigy 2 is definitely not a good source for music; stay away from it! I think that getting a $25 Chaintech AV-710 and using it for music, while using the Audigy 2 for games might be something you should seriously consider.

As for me, I am waiting for a modded E-mu 1212m to arrive. Hope that it would be significantly better than my minisystem.
600smile.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
While I've heard that the Audigy2 gives good power for a soundcard(not good sound mind you), I second the recomendation for a cmoy and maybe picking up a better adapter for 1/8" outputs.

whats the point of amping the sound when its from a bad source to begin with?

Oct 13, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 35
Are you talking about the Audigy 2? Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. Perhaps the Senn / Corda combo does not have good synergy with the Audigy.

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
Are you talking about the Audigy 2? Wow, that's a pleasant surprise. Perhaps the Senn / Corda combo does not have good synergy with the Audigy.

my senn with audigy 2zs with either pimeta or ppa sound great.

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 35
Audigy 2s really suck. Their audio is purely digital-altered crap, and nothing even close to what it SHOULD sound like. Grainy mids, and very VERY weak bass. Highs are almost non-existent.

Go for a REAL card like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 35
ufokillerz: Maybe I should have sent my Audigy 2 for a AD8620 mod instead of buying the modded E-mu 1212m. Would have saved a lot of money.
eek.gif

Just out of curiousity, how does it sound compared to your NAD system?

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
ufokillerz: Maybe I should have sent my Audigy 2 for a AD8620 mod instead of buying the modded E-mu 1212m. Would have saved a lot of money.
eek.gif

Just out of curiousity, how does it sound compared to your NAD system?

sadly i'm having driver issues now, i've tried 2 different audigy2zs's in my system with the same results, crackling in any sound output. can't really compare it until i reformat =\. i ordered a emu-1212m also. lets see how well that compares. another user told me that the modded audigy2zs can't touch the emu-1212m in terms of sound quality, their on a whole different level

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
my senn with audigy 2zs with either pimeta or ppa sound great.

Compared to what?

A2/ZS is horrible source, period.

The E-MU 1212m should best your NAD cd player, as well as your modded audigy easily.

On a sidenote, the 'cracking' issues you are getting, could be a problem elsewhere in your system, even though the a2 is not that great for music, it should still not crackle or anything. Hopefully your EMU gives you no problems
600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Compared to what?

A2/ZS is horrible source, period.

The E-MU 1212m should best your NAD cd player, as well as your modded audigy easily.

On a sidenote, the 'cracking' issues you are getting, could be a problem elsewhere in your system, even though the a2 is not that great for music, it should still not crackle or anything. Hopefully your EMU gives you no problems
600smile.gif

yea its most likely a driver issue, but i'm upgrading a lot of stuff =D.dedicated 200gb drive for ripped cds =D

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 35
If you are currently having driver issues, then you should definitely take a look at this forum before you install the E-mu 1212m. It discusses the compatibility issues of installing both the Audigy 2 and the E-mu 1212m at the same time.

http://www.productionforums.com/emu/...asp?FORUM_ID=4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back