Audigy 2ZS as source?
Oct 24, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
The original A2 does not resample 96/24 bit. Unless there are dsp effects like bass/treble adjustment or the like. I figure this because there's an audible change in the sound quality once I active the dsp in 96/24bit files.

That was my impression too. There is a non-sublte change in output quality when switching to 24-bit-padded-to-32 in foobar, which is the *only* data format that the P16V likes. All A2 crappy DSP effects off of course.

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Only with hacked drivers. With the official Creative drivers, the non-ZS/non-Platinum eX A2 must send ALL audio through the DSP, even if the DSP effects are disabled. As a result, it resamples 24/96 and 24/192 audio to 32/48 with the official Creative drivers. The official Creative drivers can bypass the DSP only if used with the A2 Platinum eX and the A2 ZS cards.

Given the quality of the Creative dirvers, I woudn't be surpised. Btw, how was this discovered?

I could try to verify it by sending a 40/80Khz wave out and record it through the 1212m, but my cards are in physically different locations.
frown.gif
Is anyone here willing to do this test?

I just wanted to make it clear that the hardware is capable of 24/96 (and 192) playback w/o resampling. It can only do 24/96 recording though. It seems that via the P16V chip the DAC can even be set to 44.1Khz, thus avoiding the infamous resampling. I'll try to test this at some point, but I'll have to get linux going on that box (it is windows only right now).

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Only with hacked drivers.

I downloaded my Creative A2 drivers from the net, 'cause I lost the cd. But those drivers didn't resample 96/24 if I didn't use any dsp effects.

Oct 27, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #34 of 35
Yes, Eagle_Driver is wrong. It was only the very first A2 driver that didn't support 24/96 (which Creative pointed out in the included readme on the driver CD). All subsequent drivers support 24/96 if you

* Disable CMSS
* Disable any and all EAX effects
* Don't use the Speaker Calibration
* Don't use the Bass/Treble controls, i e leave them at 50/50
* Don't use the Equalizer
* Don't use DTS:Neo

This can be confirmed by anyone who has a soundcard capable of recording 24/96 and is equipped with an understanding of Nyguist's theorem.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Yes, Eagle_Driver is wrong. It was only the very first A2 driver that didn't support 24/96 (which Creative pointed out in the included readme on the driver CD). All subsequent drivers support 24/96 if you

* Disable CMSS
* Disable any and all EAX effects
* Don't use the Speaker Calibration
* Don't use the Bass/Treble controls, i e leave them at 50/50
* Don't use the Equalizer
* Don't use DTS:Neo

This can be confirmed by anyone who has a soundcard capable of recording 24/96 and is equipped with an understanding of Nyguist's theorem.

Mea culpa...
redface.gif

I was referring to the drivers which originally shipped with those cards...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back