Audigy 2ZS as source?
Oct 13, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
If you are currently having driver issues, then you should definitely take a look at this forum before you install the E-mu 1212m. It discusses the compatibility issues of installing both the Audigy 2 and the E-mu 1212m at the same time.

http://www.productionforums.com/emu/...asp?FORUM_ID=4

i need to reformat, its been 6 months since i've reformatted and i've changed a lot of hardware =D, i'm changing 90% of my hardware with this new reformat also =D

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Plugging headphones into the headphone jack on the klipsch promedias is a bad idea, it sounds awful, you would be better plugging it directly into the back of your soundcard, but that is still not a good idea.

When it comes to high class headphones, you NEED a headphone amp, don't even waste the money if you dont plan to buy one.

I'd consider buying a E-MU 0404 or Chaintech AV-710 -> Cmoy/Pimeta -> Headphones (whatever you choose, i'd look at others than just the 595)

You can run both soundcards together at the same time, keep the klipsch's plugged into the audigy, and use the EMU for music through your headphones.

I know this was a little long ago but can you tell me exactly how i can run both the sound cards at the sametime. I already got everything: HD595, amp, interconnect cables and the chaintech v710.

when i tried installing the driver for the V710, all it did was cause my speakers to static and scratch, and my headphones still dont work. Can you help me please?

Oct 23, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #18 of 35
When I first came to head-fi I had a system very much like yours: Audigy 2 ZS driving some Klipsch 4.1 speakers, and I was listening to some decent headphones (Sennheiser HD590) through the headphone output on the Klipsch speakers.

Since then, I've made many, many enhancements to my system (encode using lossless FLAC format, started using Foobar2000, new sound card, external DAC, tube amplifier, expensive cables, etc.).

The biggest enhancement out of all my upgrades came from getting rid of my Audigy 2 ZS and replacing it with an E-MU 1212M. I give this sound card my highest recommendation.

When I bought mine, the 0404 was not available yet. I think an 0404 would be fine (especially now that I'm using digital output), so you may want to consider giving it a try.

I use my 1212M for games (Doom3, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.) too...and they work just fine.

Oct 23, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 35
If you are using a mic during gaming, you will need a mic preamp with the EMU. I suggest getting a av-710 and a decent amp for a start. You won't be wasting any money.

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conraed
If you are using a mic during gaming, you will need a mic preamp with the EMU. I suggest getting a av-710 and a decent amp for a start. You won't be wasting any money.

When in the high sample rate mode the inputs on the AV-710 are disabled.

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 35
Despite what others are saying, I found that My 570s and 590s simply couldn't get enough volume for comfortable music playback out of the the back of the soundcard (although they did fine for gaming), and I ran them out of My klipsch headphone jacks for awhile. It was... barely acceptable. the Klips added a huge ammount of hum, but at least I could get some volume. I switched to the headphone jack on my reciever when I got one, and that was a decent improvement. By far the best improvement came when I bought my SXH-1 at the same time I picked up my HD650s.

Really, *in general*, a decent amp is a necessity to get the most out of even a $100 pair of cans IMO.

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
When I first came to head-fi I had a system very much like yours: Audigy 2 ZS driving some Klipsch 4.1 speakers, and I was listening to some decent headphones (Sennheiser HD590) through the headphone output on the Klipsch speakers.

Since then, I've made many, many enhancements to my system (encode using lossless FLAC format, started using Foobar2000, new sound card, external DAC, tube amplifier, expensive cables, etc.).

The biggest enhancement out of all my upgrades came from getting rid of my Audigy 2 ZS and replacing it with an E-MU 1212M. I give this sound card my highest recommendation.

When I bought mine, the 0404 was not available yet. I think an 0404 would be fine (especially now that I'm using digital output), so you may want to consider giving it a try.

I use my 1212M for games (Doom3, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.) too...and they work just fine.

Me and you have been on a almost parallel course, I started here with audigy 2 / 590s / klipsch 4.1s also
600smile.gif

How far we have come hehe.

BTW, for gaming / mic, Just buy a USB Logitech/Altec Lansing Mic. It works regardless of your soundcard.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artit
IMHO, the Audigy 2 is definitely not a good source for music; stay away from it!

That's because a LOT of people have NEVER tweaked their music player software to work correctly with it. By default, since almost all music files are 16bit/32kHz or 16bit/44.1kHz (which the A2 ZS does NOT support natively), those files get converted in hardware to 16bit/48kHz - and that hardware conversion alogarithm sucks quite badly. And even if you resample manually in software to 48kHz, the A2 ZS rolls off the treble noticeably, resulting in the audio sounding a bit "flat." The A2 ZS only does a good job at 24bit/96kHz (or with audio that's been manually resampled in software to 24bit/96kHz), as long as no effects at all are enabled whatsoever - enabling any effects will invoke the resampling to 32bit/48kHz.

Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 35
Don't know for sure about ZS (I think it has some dither+noise shaping that can't be turned off or something similar), but A2 "classic" is listenable as long as you output 24bit/48 or 96KHz, this bypasses the DSP since it can't handle that much data
biggrin.gif
. You need to do the resampling 44.1 to 48/96 in software, e.g. foobar2k. And it does play DVD-As at 24/96 on analog out, no downsampling, with it's own player, and/or windvd. Btw, the dvd-a driver that comes with windvd is the same driver that comes with A2.

With these settings, A2 was better than a stock Toshiba K-740 (Costco version of 3960, you get free toslink out, and it's only $60).

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Don't know for sure about ZS (I think it has some dither+noise shaping that can't be turned off or something similar), but A2 "classic" is listenable as long as you output 24bit/48 or 96KHz, this bypasses the DSP since it can't handle that much data
biggrin.gif
. You need to do the resampling 44.1 to 48/96 in software, e.g. foobar2k. And it does play DVD-As at 24/96 on analog out, no downsampling, with it's own player, and/or windvd. Btw, the dvd-a driver that comes with windvd is the same driver that comes with A2.

With these settings, A2 was better than a stock Toshiba K-740 (Costco version of 3960, you get free toslink out, and it's only $60).

Actually, the A2 "classic" resamples even 24/96 output to 32/48.

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Actually, the A2 "classic" resamples even 24/96 output to 32/48.

I kinda doubt it. Maybe the Creative software does. There is a distinct output path p16v that bypasses the 10k2 chip for 24/96. It seem this chip is present on all Audigy 2 cards*. It is used by Kx drivers, and by the linux drivers. This is detailed for the kX driverers here. I don't see any distinction being made between the various flavors of A2...

Are you sure the ZS isn't screwed as well (with Creative drivers). It seems that way here. 24/96 digital out was quite bad.

And the ex seems on par with the standard at 24/96, except for crosstalk.

--
* Except those that aren't 10K2-based to begin with: LS, NX and whatever other entry level crap may be labeled as Audigy 2 by the Creative marketing machine.

Oct 24, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 35
The Linux alsa driver for the p16v device can even take 44.1Khz. The cute part is that p16v is addressable directly on the PCI bus. So you have two sound cards in one, that's why it's called Audigy 2.
tongue.gif

Quote from here

For those interested, the alsa p16v driver is at
http://www.superbug.demon.co.uk/alsa/p16v

It currently supports playback to 5.1 channels, output at rates 44100,
48000, 96000, 192000. 24bit.

I will be adding capture support next, so we should finally be able to
capture AC3 input via the spdif inputs of the Audigy2.

The driver uses DMA for direct CPU to P16V chip data path, bypassing the
EMU10K2 entirely.

I will keep the p16v driver separate from the emu10k1 driver until I
have found out enough about the P16V chip.

--end quote--

The funny thing is that the outpus of the card are "wired" differently when using the p16v driver, you need to move the cables arround. From the driver source:

* Front out -> Center_lfe speakers.
* Rear out -> Front speakers.
* Center_lfe out -> Rear.

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #28 of 35
The original A2 does not resample 96/24 bit. Unless there are dsp effects like bass/treble adjustment or the like. I figure this because there's an audible change in the sound quality once I active the dsp in 96/24bit files.

Oct 24, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #29 of 35
kX project docs state that when using the DSP and 24/96 via p16v, two streams are generated - 16/48 through the 10k2 (DSP effects done on this stream) and 24/96 through p16v, which are then mixed and sent to the DACs.

Oct 24, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
The original A2 does not resample 96/24 bit. Unless there are dsp effects like bass/treble adjustment or the like. I figure this because there's an audible change in the sound quality once I active the dsp in 96/24bit files.

Only with hacked drivers. With the official Creative drivers, the non-ZS/non-Platinum eX A2 must send ALL audio through the DSP, even if the DSP effects are disabled. As a result, it resamples 24/96 and 24/192 audio to 32/48 with the official Creative drivers. The official Creative drivers can bypass the DSP only if used with the A2 Platinum eX and the A2 ZS cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back