Audigy 2 ZS notebook + AKG K701?
Oct 6, 2006 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

arifinsonic

New Head-Fier
is audigy 2 ZS notebook + AKG K701 is a good combination??
i'm having audigy 2 ZS notebook right now. I'm looking for a good quality headphone. Any suggestion? anybody want to share?
DO i really need amp?

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 23
I wouldn't do that combination, period. Those are good phones, and you'll need a proper source (a ZS isn't very good sounding) and a proper amp. The K701 is power hungry. Maybe think about a different headphone if you're interested in unamped usage? You'll get better sound for your money.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 23
For $600, get a total bithead (an amp AND a DAC) and a K701 if you like. The Total Bithead will provide better audio from your computer, and proper power for the K701. You can get them both at www.headphone.com .

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 23
I have a similar setup. I am considering buying the Total Bithead. However my question is, I have an audio player that has SPDIF out - which all things considered should be a fairly good thing. Can the Total Bithead connect to the SPDIF out on my portable MP3 player?

Annoyingly my MP3 player has SPDIF out, but not a line out.

Alternatively, is there anything that works like the Total Bithead, in that it is a combo (mobile) Amp and Dac and which can both be conected to my computer/laptop (and which also has SPDIF out) and also to my MP3 player, so that I can listen to music via the SPDIF out on this device when I am on the move?

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 23
Mercuttio, thanks.
Do i still need my audigy 2 zs after having Total Bithead?
how is the connection work?
Laptop -> Audigy2 ZS notebook -> Total Bithead -> K701
or
Laptop -> Total Bithead (there is USB connection there) -> K701

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 23
Yes but what about what I asked? Can I take it out with me and listen to the bithead via SPDIF in?

Really what I'm looking for is a combo DAC/Amp I can use both with my laptop AND my MP3 player. (Given that my MP3 player also has a SPDIF out).

GJ

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 23
if i want a better amp? any recomendation? since my laptop wouldn't move around. it gonna stay i one place almost forever. How much did i have to pay?
total bitHead is 16 bit, what is the different with 24 bit? better?

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by arifinsonic
if i want a better amp? any recomendation? since my laptop wouldn't move around. it gonna stay i one place almost forever. How much did i have to pay?
total bitHead is 16 bit, what is the different with 24 bit? better?

You may need 24 bit for some games, but I really haven't had a problem with World of Warcraft on my bithead, if that helps. If you want a better amp, you're going to have to get an external DAC of some other kind. A good combo amp though would be the Corda Aria from Meier Audio though. That's something like $400 I think?

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

They also have a smaller $220 USB DAC/AMP, but I don't know anything about it... never heard anyone talk about it.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by raid517
Yes but what about what I asked? Can I take it out with me and listen to the bithead via SPDIF in?

Really what I'm looking for is a combo DAC/Amp I can use both with my laptop AND my MP3 player. (Given that my MP3 player also has a SPDIF out).

For a one-box solution, there's Headroom's Desktop Portable w/DAC option

or if two smaller units will suit you, their MicroStac (amp + DAC separates) will do the job.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 23
You could give the XMod a try also, its like a portable X-Fi card for music. I also have the ZS Notebook but have been finding it a pain lately as it either doesnt get reconized or I have to reinstall the drivers.

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back