Audeze SINE Series
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #4,216 of 4,783
It’s the extra distance caused by the 3D printed adaptors. My opinion. Try a measurement with just the msr7 pads hanging on the sines without the adaptors. Basically, the consensus of this thread is that the drivers need to be pretty close to the ears, and the size of the pads can’t be too big (making ears far away from drivers) or you inevitably get bass roll off. I love my Sines, but it’s time for some improvements. CAL pads are my endgame here. Not completely over ear but more comfortable and to my ears more bass clarity without losing any. Trade offs...

Yea it’s definitely due to spacing as I mentioned. I’ve dealt with it for almost two years now with just eq. I may try to aurvana pads. But probably not until I get the mobius and see if I want to keep the Sine or sell it.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #4,218 of 4,783
I didnt get the Aurvana pads but I got these HD212 pads on amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SFASAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P1010784.JPG

As you can see, the fit nicely with the Audeze Sine with NO adapter. It's just large enough for my ear to fit inside, but not as comfortable as the MSR7 pads. They are more comfortable then the stock pads as the depth of these is 15mm, which is more than the stock. The MSR7 Pads I am using are about 20mm for reference.

As for sound, these sound great. Probably the best of the pads I've tried with Audeze Sine and I don't think I need EQ.

To show it graphically, I measured the three variations with MiniDSP EARS:

Sine-EarPads.jpg

The stock signature is blue
The HD212 pads are pink
The MSR7 pads with adapter are in yellow.

It may appear in this graph that the pink one has recessed mids, but really, it follows closely to the Harman Target curve pretty well actually through out. There is a bit of roll-off detected down in sub-bass region, but that is how it is stock as well. It doesn't sound like you are losing bass in that region but it measures that way.

The MSR7 is just too bright, and requires EQ, however it is super comfortable....
The stock pads are vocal forward while presenting neutral highs, but not very comfortable.
The HD212 pads presented here are overall the most neutral sounding, but still has slight bright sound signature -- something rather close to what I like in my Hifiman HE560.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #4,222 of 4,783
He means to find some thin foam and cut out some circular, or Sine shaped pieces. Maybe a craft store will have thin foam. Maybe amazon. Some have had good results on other headphones with paper towels cut into circular shapes. In this case it would be good to follow the shape of the sines? You can try toilet paper. 1 sheet, 2 sheet. Haven’t heard of anyone doing these types of things with Sine’s, but I imagine it’s worth a try. Experiment and see what happens. I imagine that Audeze tried a lot of foam thickenesses and it may just be as good as it gets. The trade off of having less treble may be more of an overall detriment than an improvement. However I believe it is worth a try.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4,223 of 4,783
He means to find some thin foam and cut out some circular, or Sine shaped pieces. Maybe a craft store will have thin foam. Maybe amazon. Some have had good results on other headphones with paper towels cut into circular shapes. In this case it would be good to follow the shape of the sines? You can try toilet paper. 1 sheet, 2 sheet. Haven’t heard of anyone doing these types of things with Sine’s, but I imagine it’s worth a try. Experiment and see what happens. I imagine that Audeze tried a lot of foam thickenesses and it may just be as good as it gets. The trade off of having less treble may be more of an overall detriment than an improvement. However I believe it is worth a try.

I did this with craft foam. The foam makes the spacing slightly deeper, this would actually make treble worse I think.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #4,225 of 4,783
Maybe cut the foam small enough to put in between the earpad foam and the ear.

That's what I did before I started pad rolling a couple years ago. It really doesnt impact it very much at all but I'm just saying, these drivers are sensitive to distance.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #4,226 of 4,783
After using those HD212 pads I mentioned in the previous post for a bit now, I am rekindling my enjoyment of these headphones again. They are perfect for use at work. The pads, when its not 90F outside are very comfortable and soft. :) On a hot summer day though, they are very uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time, as is with most over-ear headphones in general.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #4,227 of 4,783
Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Sines and I’m quite happy with the purchase, especially after some critical comparisons with some other cans. So far I’ve auditioned them against the Oppo PM-3 and found them to be significantly more open on the top end, but not nearly as comfortable. The soundstage on the Sine was also wider.

I then auditioned against the B&O H9i (with the hope that the sound of the H9i was similar to the lauded H6) and found that the H9i was more comfortable (albeit with more clamping pressure, which diminished the comfort a bit) but had a more close soundstage, distortion on the high end (when listening get wirelessly), and an uncomfortable acoustic pressure due to both the ANC and the bass (unfortunately the sound without ANC was too hollow and weird for me to listen to).

Any thoughts on alternatives to the Sine or have I struck paydirt? My budget is $500 (max) and I’m looking for a closed set of cans with clarity, as much separation as possible, nice bass with some slam, and comfort (which, sadly, the Sines lose out on). I listen to everything from pop to rock to jazz to classical to electronic & DnB.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #4,228 of 4,783
Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Sines and I’m quite happy with the purchase, especially after some critical comparisons with some other cans. So far I’ve auditioned them against the Oppo PM-3 and found them to be significantly more open on the top end, but not nearly as comfortable. The soundstage on the Sine was also wider.

I then auditioned against the B&O H9i (with the hope that the sound of the H9i was similar to the lauded H6) and found that the H9i was more comfortable (albeit with more clamping pressure, which diminished the comfort a bit) but had a more close soundstage, distortion on the high end (when listening get wirelessly), and an uncomfortable acoustic pressure due to both the ANC and the bass (unfortunately the sound without ANC was too hollow and weird for me to listen to).

Any thoughts on alternatives to the Sine or have I struck paydirt? My budget is $500 (max) and I’m looking for a closed set of cans with clarity, as much separation as possible, nice bass with some slam, and comfort (which, sadly, the Sines lose out on). I listen to everything from pop to rock to jazz to classical to electronic & DnB.
mobius

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,229 of 4,783
I understand there is a Cipher V2 cable for iSine. Is there one for the Sine or EL-8? I haven’t been able to find it in a search.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,230 of 4,783
I understand there is a Cipher V2 cable for iSine. Is there one for the Sine or EL-8? I haven’t been able to find it in a search.

Doesn't appear to be one. The CIPHER-GUIDE implies strongly that the second generation Cipher cables has been made for iSINE only:

"The Audeze app is for SINE, EL-8, and first generation iSINE Cipher cables with three buttons. The Audeze HQ app is compatible with only the second generation iSINE Cipher cable with four buttons."

https://www.audeze.com/cipher-guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back