Audeze SINE Series
Aug 4, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,191 of 4,783
I've listened to the EL-8 and it does seem to be more efficient out of its 3.5mm cable than the Sine. At least I could listen to it at decent volume levels albeit with noticeably lower definition. The Sine is indeed pretty inefficient to be designated a portable headphone, and its material construction makes it less rugged than most other portables (had the HD25 and that can survive anything). Though, the sound I'm getting out of it amped with the HA-2 or even the X5 II on high gain makes up for those shortcomings, in my opinion.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,192 of 4,783
I've listened to the EL-8 and it does seem to be more efficient out of its 3.5mm cable than the Sine. At least I could listen to it at decent volume levels albeit with noticeably lower definition. The Sine is indeed pretty inefficient to be designated a portable headphone, and its material construction makes it less rugged than most other portables (had the HD25 and that can survive anything). Though, the sound I'm getting out of it amped with the HA-2 or even the X5 II on high gain makes up for those shortcomings, in my opinion.

I second the HD-25. That needs to be the benchmark for portable can durability. I should dig mine out.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,194 of 4,783
That and also being the worst sounding headphone ever. Every single headphone on the planet sounds better than the HD-25. It however does last for decades, and all the parts are replaceable if you do manage to break something.

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,195 of 4,783
i don't get all that talk about Sine being fragile, people having nightmares about scratching leather and geting marks on metal ...
its like old leather jacket , looks cool with all the scratches ...gives it character....
I seriously doubt normal ware would effect Sine, defiantly not the sound, Sine is build to last.

Some stated Sine being a fashion item for hipsters , What ??  Nonsense ...
Sine is a high-end headphone with serious sound, no on-ear can even come close to what Sine does so effortlessly ...

Sure Sine has shortcomings , what headphone doesn't ?
Headband could have more padding , ear pads could be thicker... but all and all its a great headphone, with Cipher/ iPad air or portable amp/dac combo like chord mojo its gives you a taste of high-end home system on the go.

I bet Audeze will develop their EQ app and in the future it will bring more to the table ...

Personaly i find Sine very satisfying, that silky smooth liquid sound, refined and reviling ... totally creates an atmosphere of music and lets me feel the mood of a song I'm listening to, very involving ...

After i got Sine i sold most of my headphones ...
hd800 is gone , beyerdynamic t5p is gone and many others.
I always felt like i need at least 10 different headphones for different moods and type of music to get satisfied but now the only headphones i have left is hifiman he560 and Sine and right now those two satisfy me.

I think Audeze did a good job with Sine, i enjoy this headphone a lot!

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,196 of 4,783
  i don't get all that talk about Sine being fragile, people having nightmares about scratching leather and geting marks on metal ...
its like old leather jacket , looks cool with all the scratches ...gives it character....
I seriously doubt normal ware would effect Sine, defiantly not the sound, Sine is build to last.

Some stated Sine being a fashion item for hipsters , What ??  Nonsense ...
Sine is a high-end headphone with serious sound, no on-ear can even come close to what Sine does so effortlessly ...

Sure Sine has shortcomings , what headphone doesn't ?
Headband could have more padding , ear pads could be thicker... but all and all its a great headphone, with Cipher/ iPad air or portable amp/dac combo like chord mojo its gives you a taste of high-end home system on the go.

I bet Audeze will develop their EQ app and in the future it will bring more to the table ...

Personaly i find Sine very satisfying, that silky smooth liquid sound, refined and reviling ... totally creates an atmosphere of music and lets me feel the mood of a song I'm listening to, very involving ...

After i got Sine i sold most of my headphones ...
hd800 is gone , beyerdynamic t5p is gone and many others.
I always felt like i need at least 10 different headphones for different moods and type of music to get satisfied but now the only headphones i have left is hifiman he560 and Sine and right now those two satisfy me.

I think Audeze did a good job with Sine, i enjoy this headphone a lot!

Same here.  Got rid of many of my headphones after using the Sines for a while. Now all I have left are the Audeze Cipher/Sines, RHA T20s, Bose QC25s and STAX SR009s; each for a different listening function and location. Works for me!

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #2,197 of 4,783
Well, I'm in the airport with my Sine right now, enjoying it and having no durability issues whatsoever after months of travel and heavy use. I'm going video someone sitting on them to settle this "fragile" issue once and for all 1st chance I get

Same, I've logged >20k airline miles w/ my Sines and couldn't be happier. People ask about them too. In fact, I ended up having a great conversation about high-end audio with a sheik from the UAE because he was curious about my AK120 II + Sine setup.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,198 of 4,783
Same, I've logged >20k airline miles w/ my Sines and couldn't be happier. People ask about them too. In fact, I ended up having a great conversation about high-end audio with a sheik from the UAE because he was curious about my AK120 II + Sine setup.

I use the AK120II and the HTC10. The volume does need to be kinda loud with the AK but they sound awesome and clear with so much clarity and detail. The HTC10 has an incredible sound for a phone, strictly an Android guy here.  

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #2,200 of 4,783
*Deep breath in*        Ou-dee-seyyyyyyyyyyyyyYYYYYyyyyyy

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #2,204 of 4,783
I had HA-2 and returned it because the C5 was more powerful. Never heard the iDAC but I have iCan Micro and iCan Nano and prefer the C5 over both.

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,205 of 4,783
I hear you. I think it's smart and practical. Class D amps can be very small but I think class B already hits about 70% efficiency so maybe they can get a little more efficient.

I just think planar is a bad idea for portables. They have a nice sound to them but I'm sure a good designer could make a dynamic driver sound just fine.

But ultimately the battery is the biggest and heaviest part on most of these products.

I use the BeoPlay H7 as my portable Bluetooth and it sounds quite good indeed. The amp is powerful enough for contemporary recordings, but given that I like high playback volumes, older more dynamic masters lack enough volume. The upside is that the H7 is very nice when driven wired by the iDSD Micro, or my little E10K. I also found the PM3 fairly easy to drive so I think there may be some design changes to the Sine still possible to increase efficiency. I assume that in doing so some changes to the sound signature were the issue and Audeze it seems wanted to keep the signature as designed. still, drivability for a portable is essential and it seems companies often forget that many people like moderately loud to loud playback volumes.

I wonder during testing what SPL level Audeze pegged as acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back