Audeze SINE Series
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,101 of 4,783
Its normal :)
My good old Koss porta pro classic straight out of iphone6  also sounds better than Sine/standard cable from iphone6...

If i plugg koss porta pro to my home system/dac-amp , then it sounds better but not so much ...
Sine in my home system sounds A LOT better , night and day difference ...

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,102 of 4,783
  @osanilevich 

Sine , out of your pc headphone out won't sound good no matter how much burn-in hours you will get ...
You need to get a dac/amp combo, the better amp you get the better sound you will get out of Sine.

By scaling i mean -  Sound quality will scale, depending on the gear you use with Sine.  

If you invest money in buying a high-end headphone, you need to invest money in geting amplifier to drive it and only then you will hear what those headphones can really do, otherwise you wasted money ...

Appreciate the suggestion, I guess I'm off to find a dac/amp to see if this really would solve the problem! 

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,103 of 4,783
  Too an extent that is true, not always, and the law of diminishing returns is at play. I think the sound signature of your Sony when less than ideally driven was more pleasing to you than the Sine under-driven. As well, the Sony would be certainly much easier to drive than the Sine, significantly I expect. There are a few technical reasons that can explain how well a headphone and the amplifier interact, but while I'm not saying you would suddenly love the Sine from a better amp (doesn't have to be a mega-buck amp, even a FiiO 11K for instance) but the odds that the Sine wouldn't sound better to you are rather low.

Thanks for that explanation, I had no idea headphones worked that way. Guess that serves me right for not doing my due diligence and researching headphones alone

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2,104 of 4,783
  Appreciate the suggestion, I guess I'm off to find a dac/amp to see if this really would solve the problem! 

So, what music do you listen to, how loud and what features of sound reproduction do you most value e.g. deep bass, rich midrange, soft treble? If you give us some information we may be able to provide some suggestions. As well, price range. I would start out right off suggesting the iFi iDSD Micro if you can go that hi. It is a stunningly great device and has plenty of power. Drives my LCD2F with authority. DAC section is pretty solid as well, better than the amp (but the amp is good).

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,105 of 4,783
@osanilevich 

You welcome.

Find a local hifi shop , and tell them you need amp/dac combo for Audeze Sine.  Depending on your budget they make suggestions ...
When you make your choice don't buy it,  just tell them at shop that you want to take dac/amp  home for a few days and listen ...

Only after you hear improvements in sound quality , only then  buy it ...

Never buy any audio gear before you audition it at home for a few days and you are sure you hear improvement in sound quality ...
Most all hifi shops understand that and give gear , usually demo exemplars , to audition at home before buying it ...

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,106 of 4,783
  Thanks for that explanation, I had no idea headphones worked that way. Guess that serves me right for not doing my due diligence and researching headphones alone

I'm still learning myself believe me.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,107 of 4,783
  @osanilevich 

Never buy any audio gear before you audition it at home for a few days and you are sure you hear improvement in sound quality ...
Most all hifi shops understand that and give gear , usually demo exemplars , to audition at home before buying it ...

That is often not possible and can seriously limit the choice. I have bought almost all my gear without trying first. I just read many threads and opinions of experienced users and take a gamble when I feel comfortable. I haven't been burned yet, but I know what you mean, it can be expensive if you get caught in a hyped product that doesn't really work for your preferences.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,108 of 4,783
  So, what music do you listen to, how loud and what features of sound reproduction do you most value e.g. deep bass, rich midrange, soft treble? If you give us some information we may be able to provide some suggestions. As well, price range. I would start out right off suggesting the iFi iDSD Micro if you can go that hi. It is a stunningly great device and has plenty of power. Drives my LCD2F with authority. DAC section is pretty solid as well, better than the amp (but the amp is good).

I really listen to anything, rock, rap, classic, edm, country so I don't have a preference as long as it sounds good. I guess versatility between the genres is most important 

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,109 of 4,783
  I really listen to anything, rock, rap, classic, edm, country so I don't have a preference as long as it sounds good. I guess versatility between the genres is most important 

Seriously, the Micro is really worth looking at. Extremely capable, nice footprint and well supported. It has won quite a following here so if you are considering that range of price (for all I know you are loaded and can spend mega-bucks) it is a great one piece unit. The Grace M9XX is also supposed to be rather stuuning.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #2,110 of 4,783

i would recommend Chord mojo if budget allows ...
With Chord mojo you can enjoy Sine both at home and outside

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,111 of 4,783

i would recommend Chord mojo if budget allows ...
With Chord mojo you can enjoy Sine both at home and outside

Mojo is a solid suggestion, but I will say there are several people in the iDSD thread that prefer the Micro over the Mojo. Some have even sold the Mojo after getting the Micro. Ultimately it is a preference thing, but the Micro is very portable. It would be silly, but I could take it on the bus if I wanted to.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,112 of 4,783
  Mojo is a solid suggestion, but I will say there are several people in the iDSD thread that prefer the Micro over the Mojo. Some have even sold the Mojo after getting the Micro. Ultimately it is a preference thing, but the Micro is very portable. It would be silly, but I could take it on the bus if I wanted to.

Definitely would want something I can carry around if this is what it takes to fully power the sine

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,113 of 4,783
  Definitely would want something I can carry around if this is what it takes to fully power the sine

Well, you were plugging into a computer so I didn't take from that situation that true portability was your goal. If so, you will be stacking a source and another device. So is it mostly for at home, or also for traveling around like say on public transit that you need an amp/dac for?

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,114 of 4,783
Another great alternative is the Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp. Very versatile in the input/output options, same footprint as a iPhone 5/5S, and can even double as a battery pack for your portable device. It sounds fantastic with the Sine, given that it already pairs well with the rival Oppo PM-3. Soundstage opens up significantly, and the bass can get even better with the boost switch enabled.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,115 of 4,783
Well, you were plugging into a computer so I didn't take from that situation that true portability was your goal. If so, you will be stacking a source and another device. So is it mostly for at home, or also for traveling around like say on public transit that you need an amp/dac for?
I suppose so, I just wanna make sure I can use my Sine anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back