Audeze SINE Series
Jul 23, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,936 of 4,783
Audeze is sending me a replacement cipher cable and I'm sending mine back because their enigineers want to take a look at it. So two thumbs up for their customer service :thumbsup_tone5::thumbsup_tone5:

Great to hear! I've also always had positive experiences with Audeze CS. Cheers

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,937 of 4,783
So I just got my new Sine's today and had a few questions, first off, I have never owned and Audeze, so I am not familiar with their House sound. My current headphones are the ZMF Omni, PS500e and Hifiman he-5LE, I so far find these to be kinda dark, at least more than I expected. Take into account that I do not have the Cipher cable yet and so far I am using my AK jr to run them. Even on the AK jr, you have to turn them up pretty high. I am not to familiar with "EQ" in music, is there any way to give the mids a little more crispness to them? Also, I do use an IPhone, so I have plans on getting a cipher cable ASAP, is there anyone currently carrying them for sale separately? I assume the cipher cable will make a difference when I get them,

I think I am used to the ps500e sound so I assume this is why they seem dark.

Thanks,
James

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #1,938 of 4,783
So I just got my new Sine's today and had a few questions, first off, I have never owned and Audeze, so I am not familiar with their House sound. My current headphones are the ZMF Omni, PS500e and Hifiman he-5LE, I so far find these to be kinda dark, at least more than I expected. Take into account that I do not have the Cipher cable yet and so far I am using my AK jr to run them. Even on the AK jr, you have to turn them up pretty high. I am not to familiar with "EQ" in music, is there any way to give the mids a little more crispness to them? Also, I do use an IPhone, so I have plans on getting a cipher cable ASAP, is there anyone currently carrying them for sale separately? I assume the cipher cable will make a difference when I get them,

Thanks,
James

Unfortunately you can't get a cipher cable unless you buy the sine that comes with it. Apparently Apple is prohibiting Audeze from selling them.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,939 of 4,783
So they did at one time though as I have read a few posts on here about them being available from Moon Audio at one time. Well hopefully it's a temporary thing if they are not available Seperatly. It does not make sense that they would let the EL-8 cipher cables be available, but not the sine.

James

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,940 of 4,783

Thanks,
James

Why didn't you buy with cipher? Lots of retailers have it in stock,including Apple. If you want a cipher, you may be better returning if possible, rather than hoping that it will sell seperately.

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,941 of 4,783
To answer my own question - I just called Audeze and they said that the cipher cables are not available separately.

Apparently apple hasn't approved it.

They said maybe in a few months. That's fustrating.

I was told by a distributor that it's a supply issue with the DAC chips of the Cipher cable-Apple makes the chips and they weren't making them fast enough. 

There were definitely Cipher cables sold separately; I know this because I bought one from Moon Audio:

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,942 of 4,783
I was told by a distributor that it's a supply issue with the DAC chips of the Cipher cable-Apple makes the chips and they weren't making them fast enough. 

There were definitely Cipher cables sold separately; I know this because I bought one from Moon Audio:

I bought mine used, honestly I could not spend $499 on a new pair. I was able to get a significant savings used with only a few hours on it with the intention of getting the cable for $50 or so at a later date, just like you did from Moon Audio.

James

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #1,943 of 4,783

It's probably the MFi chip (the bit that authorises the device's use with the iToy) that's in short supply. I can't imagine it would be the DAC chip, unless Apple are making the DAC and MFi as a single chip, but I find that hard to believe.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #1,944 of 4,783
So as of right now, I think they sound pretty good via the non-cipher adapter. I wish they were not as dark, as I am used to PS500e, Stax sr207 and such. What kind of difference might some break in (only about 3 hours on them as well as the cipher cable make?i am on a never ending quest for a great portable and I want to give these every chance I can.

Thanks,

James

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,945 of 4,783
It's probably the MFi chip (the bit that authorises the device's use with the iToy) that's in short supply. I can't imagine it would be the DAC chip, unless Apple are making the DAC and MFi as a single chip, but I find that hard to believe.

You're probably right and the distributor told me the DAC chip to simplify. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,946 of 4,783
So as of right now, I think they sound pretty good via the non-cipher adapter. I wish they were not as dark, as I am used to PS500e, Stax sr207 and such. What kind of difference might some break in (only about 3 hours on them as well as the cipher cable make?i am on a never ending quest for a great portable and I want to give these every chance I can.

Thanks,

James

If you consider it to be in dark signature, then you can try to change the pads to brainwavz hm5 pleather pads. Its pretty easy to swap them, and it affects the treble a lot. It feels like airier and bit sparklier

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #1,947 of 4,783

Thanks,

James

James, how does the bass compare to the ps500e's?

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,949 of 4,783
I bought mine used, honestly I could not spend $499 on a new pair. I was able to get a significant savings used with only a few hours on it with the intention of getting the cable for $50 or so at a later date, just like you did from Moon Audio.

James

Same here. Bought the non-Cipher version used at a significant discount; I just assumed I'd be able to buy the cable later. 
That Apple is not allowing them to be sold separately took me totally by surprise. Not Audeze's fault, of course, 

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,950 of 4,783
If you consider it to be in dark signature, then you can try to change the pads to brainwavz hm5 pleather pads. Its pretty easy to swap them, and it affects the treble a lot. It feels like airier and bit sparklier

I changed to the Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads, and found them to be excellent.  A different sound signature for sure, but I like them a lot.   And the big advantage is comfort - I can wear them for multiple hours without fatigue or pain from the clamping force of the Sines.  It is a win-win.  
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back