Audeze SINE Series
May 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,142 of 4,783
  :frowning2: I won't be able to use Cipher cable. I don't have any Apple products to hook the Cipher lightning cable too.

I'll have to accept with what the 3.5mm can do

Are you using it with any amp at all?

Because it's pretty amazing what the upgrade is from standard to Cipher. I've been slowly getting through all my catalog of "test" songs. The sound is pretty damn amazing --- the way it retains crystal clear highs + just-forward-enough mids while bringing in smooth yet impactful bass. (at least with Cipher)

The clamp doesn't totally bother me, although I can see why it'd be too much for people out of the gate. Glad to hear it will be even more comfortable with time. To my ears it's definitely more comfortable than Momentum 2.0 was.

May 13, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,143 of 4,783
  Are you using it with any amp at all?

Because it's pretty amazing what the upgrade is from standard to Cipher. I've been slowly getting through all my catalog of "test" songs. The sound is pretty damn amazing --- the way it retains crystal clear highs + just-forward-enough mids while bringing in smooth yet impactful bass. (at least with Cipher)

The clamp doesn't totally bother me, although I can see why it'd be too much for people out of the gate. Glad to hear it will be even more comfortable with time. To my ears it's definitely more comfortable than Momentum 2.0 was.

:frowning2: V10 built in Amp. I'm planning to upgrade to HTC 10 for T-Mobile next week. I can't stand the V10 Amp gain trickery :p
I read up HTC has it's own dedicated amp in the phone, for some reason they won't name the audio hardware but it's seperate from the Snapdragon 820 audio

Also another thing about the Sine.
I've gotten good comments that it's a nice looking headphone! People would ask me how much it cost and if it's better than Beats
:frowning2: I would get nervous and try to change subject right away. Trying to convince people that you bought a headphone around $450+ is going to get them to think you are crazy LOL

May 13, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,144 of 4,783
Hey guys I just had a little problem. I bought an aftermarket cable for my Sines and the cable has TRS connectors that go into the headphones, as the Sines should accept TRS. With the new cable, the left channel is dead while the right channel works perfectly. I tried swapping left and right and still the same problem which tells me that the TRS connections are both fine on the cable and that there is something iffy with my Sine's left channel input. I tried my friend's brand new Sine as well and had the same exact problem. Anyone with an aftermarket cable for their Sine have the same problem? I'm calling Audeze tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had this issue

May 13, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #1,145 of 4,783
  Hey guys I just had a little problem. I bought an aftermarket cable for my Sines and the cable has TRS connectors that go into the headphones, as the Sines should accept TRS. With the new cable, the left channel is dead while the right channel works perfectly. I tried swapping left and right and still the same problem which tells me that the TRS connections are both fine on the cable and that there is something iffy with my Sine's left channel input. I tried my friend's brand new Sine as well and had the same exact problem. Anyone with an aftermarket cable for their Sine have the same problem? I'm calling Audeze tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had this issue

Does the left side plug fit in fully? Also if you go back to the OEM cable that came with the SINEs does it work on both sides? Should be able to troubleshoot it pretty easily. Cheers 

May 13, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,146 of 4,783
  Does the left side plug fit in fully? Also if you go back to the OEM cable that came with the SINEs does it work on both sides? Should be able to troubleshoot it pretty easily. Cheers 

Yeah I tried to fit it in there pretty damn good. I did go back to the OEM cable and both sides work perfectly.

May 13, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #1,147 of 4,783

Yeah I tried to fit it in there pretty damn good. I did go back to the OEM cable and both sides work perfectly.

So it sounds like a problem with the aftermarket cable fitting in the left side then. 

May 13, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,148 of 4,783
I found that if I plug the left connector in halfway it produces sound, but there's no sound if I plug it in all the way. Weird. Solves that though

May 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,149 of 4,783
  I found that if I plug the left connector in halfway it produces sound, but there's no sound if I plug it in all the way. Weird. Solves that though

Aren't the Sines configured as mono at the cup connectors or did I completely misread that somewhere?

May 13, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,150 of 4,783
Aren't the Sines configured as mono at the cup connectors or did I completely misread that somewhere?

Yes, mono. Audeze says that TRS connectors work with the Sine as well

May 14, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,152 of 4,783
Further observations, these may echo prior postings of others:

Tried Foobar 2000 on iPhone -- light brightness that I noticed earlier gone
Used Cipher
Will need to listen further but it sounds better than with just Cipher

Connected Sine to Sony nw-zx2 connected to Tidal
Wow
This is the most revealing and enjoyable
Voice and instruments are in thei own space defined and very very musical

On Sony bass is deeper and wider
Midrange and treble very smooth
Ella Fitzgerald singing Betwitched Bewilder and Bothered -- great stage engaging and wide stage
Other Ella songs with guitar -- strings resonate
Never heard this Fitzgerald album so good from song to song
Beyoncé Naughty Girl again great stage bass midrange
You are right there

Appears that the Sine has various possibilities with ancillary equipment and software

May 14, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,153 of 4,783
An additional comment:

Switching back iand forth comparing songs through Tidal

Cipher very good but when compared to Sony nw-zx2
You immediately hear that the song through the Sony is much more substantial and smooth
The difference in bass is noteworthy
The character of the instruments is impressive
They are much more in their own space
The bass is defined and crisp

When I listened to Linda Ronstadt singing Blue Bayou connected to the Sony and Tidal, it was much closer to the visceral impact I get when listening to this song through my stereo
It has some of the characteristics in bass definition when you compare a vinyl recording of this song to a cd in a high end home stereo system
Almost as if you are hearing the vinyl version; Not quite at the level of vinyl but noticeably closer

When you turn up the iPhone to match the bass on the Sony, you hear a brighter but less defined and pleasing bass production

Still impressed with Cipher
Very happy with this purchase

May 14, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,155 of 4,783
Foobar 2000 is an app that can be downloaded fromiTunes; it holds itself out as an advanced media player. I think that you can download the software for PC and other non-iPhone devices if you search for foobar2000.
Michael Piskor wrote a very interesting review of the audeze sine on Headfonics
I hope that there is no objection from head-fi.org, Mr. Piskor or headfonics.com in my referencing the url for the review http://headfonics.com/2016/04/the-sine-by-audeze/
He highly recommends downloading
the "free Bauersterophonic DSP for Foobar2000 and enjoy the Meier preset to the fullest."

I downloaded and concur with Mr. Piskor's assessment. It does make a positive improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back