Audeze SINE Series
Apr 10, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #721 of 4,783
Alright, I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on this purchase. My only concern now is that I read a review on c-net that stated "it's not ideal for listening to rock tracks." I'd have to say that about 70% of what I listen to falls under the rock/metal category.

Can anyone who has Sine that listens to rock and metal confirm or dispute that statement? (I'll be listening to these with a Hifiman HM901S with balanced amp and lossless/hi-res tracks.)

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #722 of 4,783
  Alright, I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on this purchase. My only concern now is that I read a review on c-net that stated "it's not ideal for listening to rock tracks." I'd have to say that about 70% of what I listen to falls under the rock/metal category.

Can anyone who has Sine that listens to rock and metal confirm or dispute that statement? (I'll be listening to these with a Hifiman HM901S with balanced amp and lossless/hi-res tracks.)

I find them great for Rock/Metal, although I think I need a good headphone amp with a decent customisable 32bit EQ to fully unleash the beast.  Looking at the Creative E5 currently.  It seems to have enough control and headroom on the EQ that I will be able to raise the bass without muddying the other sounds.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #723 of 4,783

That part of the c-net review was bullsh**. I think rock/metal sound great on the Sines. As a frame of reference, I listen to stuff like Pantera and Nine Inch Nails and the Sines do not disappoint at all.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #724 of 4,783
Filter, SlipKnot, Sliva, AC DC, Van Halen all sound awesome on Sines.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #725 of 4,783
Rock/Metal is about 50% of what I listen to, as well...sounds great to me! 

I think some rock tends to not be recorded well, but that's not the SINE's fault. I've always found that planars in general don't like poor recordings...

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #726 of 4,783
. I've always found that planars in general don't like poor recordings...

Me either. I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I dislike poor recordings so much so that I would rather stop listening to a song if it sounds bad even if I really like it. Some old The Who and most of the Beatles for me for instance fall into this category. Big chunk of my collection goes unused (mostly rock and some pop) because of this. Now with speakers it is different, those craptastic recordings can be bearable because the speakers are not strapped right against your ears, but for headphone listening I will not put poor recordings on, just not worth it given how much well recorded music is available.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #727 of 4,783
That part of the c-net review was bullsh**. I think rock/metal sound great on the Sines. As a frame of reference, I listen to stuff like Pantera and Nine Inch Nails and the Sines do not disappoint at all.

Can you consider NIN rock or metal? More a heavy techno isn't it? Digital music often sounds good as the samples can be very clean where with say rock recordings there is less control over the sound I think. Tool would sound very nice through the Sine. Wish I could put that theory to the test.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #729 of 4,783
NIN is considered industrial rock

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #731 of 4,783
NIN is considered industrial rock

I hear you, but for me, and just for me, I typically consider rock or metal mostly composed of actual people playing physical instruments, it is techno to me in all of it's many flavours if one person can make it on a computer using samples.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #735 of 4,783

They sound great with rock and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back