Audeze SINE Series
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #528 of 4,783
  Just finished with my first Rush album and they (SINE) rock! Definitely agree with you there.

How does "Rivendell" and "Bastille Day" sound?

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #529 of 4,783
  How are the earpads of Sine? Similar to PM-3 or smaller?

I've been paying close attention to that since I bought my SINE. The PM-3 is very comfortable for me for about the first 30 min...then I start becoming aware of how the pads don't quite rest uniformly on my ear. They start shifting a bit, and I find I need to readjust every so often. The pads on the SINE are shaped similarly to the outline of the ear, so I find the pressure they exert is very even, which in my case makes these headphones more comfortable for longer listening sessions. It's not that the PM-3 is uncomfortable, more that I find them a little annoying once the pads warm up a little and start shifting on my ears. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #530 of 4,783
Just a quick update, the Cipher Lightning cable + SINE's was plug and play with my new iPad Pro (9.7" version just released). Good to see no issues here.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #531 of 4,783
Alright then. I think most of us can agree to disagree. But there is a way more trusting guy Named Brian. He is over at http://www.razordogaudio.com. He offers. Discounts right off the start and has the Sines in stock. But I think they are only the regular ones without the cable

pls let us know the experience of buying at buysonic.com

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #533 of 4,783
No, the EL8C is still worth considering, though the advantages over others is rather slim. Against the Oppo PM-3, I prefer the sound of the EL8C with plenty of extra comfort to boot, but the EL8C is a little heavier, little larger, and costs more. However, add a cipher cable to the EL8C and add a Oppo HA-2 to the PM-3 and the EL8C with cipher cable has more convenience, less weight as a stack, and is future-proof for iPhones in portability (headphone jack may be removed for the next iPhone model).

However, the Sine is overall better than the EL8C in many ways. It is not just that the Sine is the first planar-magnetic on-ear, but also the most portable Audez'e with the EL8C a rather distant second in this regard. For me, the Sine sounds better than the EL8C in overall clarity, though the EL8 is still more comfortable for my ears (over-ear) with a larger supporting headband. So far, the Sine is also one of the best, if not the best, on-ears I have ever heard. Add a cipher cable to it and the Sine becomes an ultimate portable beast for your iPhone.

Well, el8 closed is the closest to diffusion field target among audeze models, http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=3525338&document_srl=5855176
so I don't see how sine has more clarity. I auditioned two Sines in the store with el8 closed and titanium, and el8s are always more clear and revealing than Sines. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #534 of 4,783
Well, el8 closed is the closest to diffusion field target among audeze models, http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=3525338&document_srl=5855176
so I don't see how sine has more clarity. I auditioned two Sines in the store with el8 closed and titanium, and el8s are always more clear and revealing than Sines. 

Diffusion does not necessarily infer clarity to every human ear, making it up to the listener to decide whether or not the headphone is clear to them.

On-ears are typically known to create "more crisp sounding notes" to listeners in exchange for the "larger soundstage" or "instrument separation" that over-ears have. Physically, most-or-all of the frequencies travel to the ear canal much more directly with the on-ear design, as little-to-no frequency goes around the ear, depending on the diaphragm of that on-ear design.

Man, this is what I get for participation in a dichotic listening study for extra credit in college. The study did not deal directly with frequencies, but how we think of sound...which led me to this hobby. :)

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #535 of 4,783
Diffusion does not necessarily infer clarity to every human ear, making it up to the listener to decide whether or not the headphone is clear to them.

On-ears are typically known to create "more crisp sounding notes" to listeners in exchange for the "larger soundstage" or "instrument separation" that over-ears have. Physically, most-or-all of the frequencies travel to the ear canal much more directly with the on-ear design, as little-to-no frequency goes around the ear, depending on the diaphragm of that on-ear design.

Man, this is what I get for participation in a dichotic listening study for extra credit in college. The study did not deal directly with frequencies, but how we think of sound...which led me to this hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

no worries, but did they discuss things beyond how we think of sound and about how the shape depth and length of the ear canal has an affect/effect on sound? I am curious about that, because headphone manufacturers do thing like ad tuning ports to their products to make an opposing frequency to one they are trying to tame. Which leads me to surmise that one factor in human hearing or the perception there of has to do with the physical structure of the tube you are forcing sound down and whether or not it would effect actual and perceived sound

edited for grammar and spelling

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #536 of 4,783
Beyond the science...knowing that everyone's ears are shaped differently and having different ear canal lengths, depths, and widths. Also knowing that we do not listen with our eyes ie.. graphs and charts, this is why a headphone sounds great to one, whether it be clarity, soundstage, imaging, bass, subbass etc...and not to another. Regardless of other's opinions or what a chart shows. This is why you can never underestimate what someone personally hears. It really comes down to what sound signature checks a person's boxes. I have owned and sampled many different headphones, see profile. I always enjoying hearing new sounds and at a certain level of quality and TOTL gear it really comes down to enjoying a certain sound signature and enjoying the music.

My SINEs should be here Monday. I am excited to hear them. That does not mean I am dissatisfied with any other I own, or I would not have them anymore.  

I see so many on Headfi telling folks that they could not hear a certain headphone a certain way, ie.. with more clarity than another. Every bit of research you do before purchasing a headphone helps you decide up to the moment of truth, when you actually hear them. That is why graphs, opinions and anything else you use to help you make a decision mean nothing once you put the headphone on your head, that is the moment of truth. No one else can tell anyone what YOU will personally hear once you begin listening, it is all at the listener's discretion.

Sorry for the brief rant. I am not an Apple user so I changed my order to the none Cipher cable. I am interested in balanced connection to use an AK 120ii. The SINE are so new, but I was curious if anyone has seen anyone mention the balanced connection with 2.5mm yet?

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #537 of 4,783

Sorry for the brief rant. I am not an Apple user so I changed my order to the none Cipher cable. I am interested in balanced connection to use an AK 120ii. The SINE are so new, but I was curious if anyone has seen anyone mention the balanced connection with 2.5mm yet?

its not a rant for me, it just reinforces what I have thought all along. that the ear and inner ear is nothing but a personal tuning port. So in turn what you "ranted" about the listening to the transducer initially makes absolute sense to me

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #538 of 4,783
Beyond the science...knowing that everyone's ears are shaped differently and having different ear canal lengths, depths, and widths. Also knowing that we do not listen with our eyes ie.. graphs and charts, this is why a headphone sounds great to one, whether it be clarity, soundstage, imaging, bass, subbass etc...and not to another. Regardless of other's opinions or what a chart shows. This is why you can never underestimate what someone personally hears. It really comes down to what sound signature checks a person's boxes. I have owned and sampled many different headphones, see profile. I always enjoying hearing new sounds and at a certain level of quality and TOTL gear it really comes down to enjoying a certain sound signature and enjoying the music.

My SINEs should be here Monday. I am excited to hear them. That does not mean I am dissatisfied with any other I own, or I would not have them anymore.  

I see so many on Headfi telling folks that they could not hear a certain headphone a certain way, ie.. with more clarity than another. Every bit of research you do before purchasing a headphone helps you decide up to the moment of truth, when you actually hear them. That is why graphs, opinions and anything else you use to help you make a decision mean nothing once you put the headphone on your head, that is the moment of truth. No one else can tell anyone what YOU will personally hear once you begin listening, it is all at the listener's discretion.

I believe Double Helix cable are making cables for Sine

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #539 of 4,783
Just got my Cypher cable! Easy to use and first few songs sound quite good. Wil have to play with it for a while but I like the form factor. Cheers

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #540 of 4,783
Just got my Cypher cable! Easy to use and first few songs sound quite good. Wil have to play with it for a while but I like the form factor. Cheers

Glad to hear that. So looking at the size of the Cypher section itself, could it be incorporated into the cup, cups or maybe as part of the headband? I'm trying to get a sense of how the design may be altered for Bluetooth if it does happen (which I actually believe it will).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back