Audeze SINE Series
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #3,571 of 4,783
Question about the CIPHER Lightning cable. As I understand it, it was made for iPhone, particularly the one without a headphone jack. Say I wanted to go from iPhone to MacBook. Does the Sine come with two cables? So I have to swap cables to go from iPhone to MacBook. Is there a way to listen to the Sine on a MacBook with the Lightning cable, like with a Lightning to USB-C adapter and does that get cumbersome?

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,572 of 4,783
Got my Sine's with cipher cable today and plugged them into my iPhone 7 Plus. Opened the Audeze app, updated the cipher cable and began listening. I had to turn the volume all the up to get acceptable volume levels out of the Sine's with the cipher cable. This was in stark contrast when using my iSine 20's with the cipher cable because they get plenty loud. So I was expecting a similar experience with the Sine's and it didn't happen. Is my cipher cable defective or is this the volume level I can expect out of the Sine's when using the cipher cable?

I tried them with my Oppo HA-2SE and Mojo and they sounded absolutely fantastic out of both of them! I thought they paired better with the Oppo. The Mojo accentuated the treble to much for my ears. The Mojo does have more power than the Oppo but I like tonality of the Oppo better with the Sines. But my concern is still with cipher cable. I thought it would be drive the Sines better.

This is my experience with the cipher as well. I personally feel they should lose the bass boost and focus on providing clean power instead of push down low. Just not enough juice available out of the Lightning port to adequately power the lower efficiency of the sines.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,573 of 4,783
Question about the CIPHER Lightning cable. As I understand it, it was made for iPhone, particularly the one without a headphone jack. Say I wanted to go from iPhone to MacBook. Does the Sine come with two cables? So I have to swap cables to go from iPhone to MacBook. Is there a way to listen to the Sine on a MacBook with the Lightning cable, like with a Lightning to USB-C adapter and does that get cumbersome?

They do provide both 1/8" and lightning connector cables. I'm sure you could use an adaptor if you're adverse to switching cables to change sources, but I personally don't find much benefit in using the cipher.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,575 of 4,783
Doesn't the Lightning cable have a built-in DAC/AMP? I thought that would be better than plugging into the headphone jack alone.

The cipher cable does put out much better sound than using the headphone jack alone. But when compared with using a dedicated amp, like the Oppo HA-2SE or Mojo, the cipher seems limited.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,576 of 4,783
The cipher cable does put out much better sound than using the headphone jack alone. But when compared with using a dedicated amp, like the Oppo HA-2SE or Mojo, the cipher seems limited.

This ^

I've also found that it adds compression and eventually distortion when pushed past the 50% mark or so. Might just be my 6S though, I don't currently have an iPhone 7. Sound quality increase with the caveat of increased artifacts over the 6S headphone out at higher levels.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,577 of 4,783
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I had to max out the volume to get the Sine's to an acceptable volume level with the cipher cable. I'm beginning to think the Sine's need more power to sound good. The cipher cable as good as it is with the iSine's doesn't drive the Sine's nearly as well.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,578 of 4,783
My addresses didn't match either. BUT, I used their "Affirm" system to finance. Right now the order status has made it to the "processed - waiting to ship" stage. Fingers crossed that they will actually ship today.
ordered mine on the 18th, went to shipping on 21st, no movement since

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #3,579 of 4,783
ordered mine on the 18th, went to shipping on 21st, no movement since
Got a FedEx notification that it shipped today. Hopefully yours has or will ship soon. Kind of spoiled by Amazon I guess so I was expecting faster shipping.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #3,581 of 4,783
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #3,582 of 4,783
Anything conclusive on alternate over ear pads that don't impact sound? Best candidates I've seen thus far are Momentum and MSR7. Had a local 3D print shop make the adapters for $8 so already have those.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,584 of 4,783
I've been to-ing and fro-ing on a couple of earpads and the ones that are staying (for the moment anyway) are these MSR7 clones.

To my ears at least, they're about as close to stock sound as I've been able to get - they've been able to capture the immediacy and the bass texture that I love about the Sines, and which were too significantly compromised by the Brainwavz ones (I have flat pleather and hybrid ones, as well as angled velour ones) for them to be viable, comfy as they were. The Brainwavzs opened up the soundstage (which was nice) but were ultimately too distant and unfocused.

Plus the MSR7s fit quite securely without the need for adapters and don't add as much bulk to the Sines, as you can see:

P.S.: Big thank you to @ASRSPR for the adapter download - I didn't need it with the MSR7 after all, but it helps loads with keeping the bigger pads secure.
Going to use momntum 1 pads with same adapters.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #3,585 of 4,783
Oh boy. Momentum n pads so much more comfortable!!! No adapter needed.

The customer service of my cable builder is better than those of Audeze.

Till now no one from audeze could enlighten me on polarity of their cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back