Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #7,037 of 7,191
8489DD84-2EB0-4331-957E-7983DC462EC5.jpeg

I like that!

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #7,038 of 7,191
Normally I would take this opportunity to sell my Penrose and upgrade to Maxwell. However I doubt I could give them away on the Classifieds if I posted “Free to a Good Home”

I never had any issues with mine, minor annoyances like crackling if I moved away from from my PS5 but those were minor and to be expected. It was a rare occasion anyway once I moved the dongle to the front USB port

Point being is that @Audeze should offer a trade in program for Penrose owners, seeing as how we essentially beta tested a product for them and there is no resale market for these given their reputation

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #7,040 of 7,191
Are people actually excited to buy the Maxwell even after everything that's happened with Penrose? Penrose left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.
Personally, I am. I've had a bunch of different headsets for my Xbox, though some I've given away. I still come back to the Penrose X. It's my absolute favorite despite the flaws. Trust me, I've experienced them. I've had a brick because of firmware. I've got the crackling in one ear with movement. I've had to buy a usb extension cable that I run under a rug all the way across the room because I have connectivity drops. On a regular basis, I experience my mic volume being lowered because of how you change up the party/game mix. Bluetooth gives me fits when trying to take phone calls on it while playing a game. So much so, that when I'm on call I just use a totally different headset. I even charge immediately after each session because the battery takes so long to charge. I still bought this thing immediately this morning. I'm hoping they learned from some of the mistakes of the Penrose X and have ironed out a lot of bugs. The sound quality is worth it to me though.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #7,041 of 7,191
@Sense I think the microphone sounds fine. If I put the microphone on my Mobius with USB-connection it sounds really good though. But ofc its downgraded a bit through wireless.
It doesn’t have to be downgraded via wireless…at least on Xbox. They could have used the Xbox wireless protocol that for some reason doesn’t suffer from poor wireless mic quality.

Also…none of my other mid-tier wireless gaming headset have such compressed sounding mic audio.

For the games I play, being heard is just as important as what I hear. I also didn’t find the Penrose to shine from a sound quality standpoint either when compared to other headsets in its price range. Footsteps are the most important thing to hear and the Penrose didn’t add any additional clarity or directional advantage over other headers. I do have a “I buy every gaming headset that comes out” problem…so I assume I’ll probably buy this once I see some reviews from trusted sources…at least worth giving them a try I suppose.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #7,042 of 7,191
It doesn’t have to be downgraded via wireless…at least on Xbox. They could have used the Xbox wireless protocol that for some reason doesn’t suffer from poor wireless mic quality.
I do wonder if the different views on mic quality has a lot to do with the poor connection quality some experienced with the Penrose?

I used the Penrose X mainly on PS5 and had no connection issues and when testing the mic, for me, the Penrose sounded better than some other headsets I was testing (Steelseries Nova for example). Had no issues with it at all?

Still hoping the Maxwell will be more consistent for everyone though!

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #7,043 of 7,191
I do wonder if the different views on mic quality has a lot to do with the poor connection quality some experienced with the Penrose?

I used the Penrose X mainly on PS5 and had no connection issues and when testing the mic, for me, the Penrose sounded better than some other headsets I was testing (Steelseries Nova for example). Had no issues with it at all?

Still hoping the Maxwell will be more consistent for everyone though!
I think the views on mic quality depend on what headset you’re coming from. Most people don’t pay attention to what they sound like. If someone has been talking to friends on a crappy mic for years and switches to a slightly better crappy mic…it’s all relative.

I also think the Penrose mic monitoring was extremely poor. Too low volume. I hope they fixed that. Mic monitoring volume and mic quality were the two reasons I returned them.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #7,044 of 7,191
Normally I would take this opportunity to sell my Penrose and upgrade to Maxwell. However I doubt I could give them away on the Classifieds if I posted “Free to a Good Home”

I never had any issues with mine, minor annoyances like crackling if I moved away from from my PS5 but those were minor and to be expected. It was a rare occasion anyway once I moved the dongle to the front USB port

Point being is that @Audeze should offer a trade in program for Penrose owners, seeing as how we essentially beta tested a product for them and there is no resale market for these given their reputation

Same here... not sure If I can guarantee "safety" to the buyer. It's like it can explode anytime.... I would like so much to try Maxwell but not sure If I want to be a lab rat for Audeze again. I got mine in pre-order for US50 discount, this time we don't even have this.

Now we know why there is no firmware, software updates or improvements. It should be in the next Penrose(or Maxwell, hopefully).

This "Audeze" aftersales if just disgusting.... they just have the point that the product in sound quality if the best one for the purpose.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #7,045 of 7,191
I think the views on mic quality depend on what headset you’re coming from. Most people don’t pay attention to what they sound like. If someone has been talking to friends on a crappy mic for years and switches to a slightly better crappy mic…it’s all relative.

I also think the Penrose mic monitoring was extremely poor. Too low volume. I hope they fixed that. Mic monitoring volume and mic quality were the two reasons I returned them.
Yea I’m sure that impacts also. Then again I was also using some wired Sennheiser headsets and I still wasn’t really disappointed - clearly it wasn’t Antlion Modmic Wireless level though!

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #7,049 of 7,191
@Audeze - It really doesn't look like they sorted the need to click the volume wheel to change Chat Mix Game Vol/Chat Vol ?
Game/Chat is the default action, no need to click. The microphones have automatic gain control, so we do not have any microphone volume adjustment.

The lower wheel is no longer a 'Mic wheel' but a Chat/Communications wheel, where game/chat balance (scroll) , sidetone adjustment (press and scroll), and sidetone on/off (double press) actions are on.

If you need to adjust mic volume past that, it will be done at the system/console level.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #7,050 of 7,191

Users who are viewing this thread

Back