Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #7,021 of 7,191
For every problem listed here, there are probably 10 satisfied customers. I’ve had the Penrose X for 2 years with no issues.

They have the best sound of any wireless headset, a great mic, and do everything I need from them.

No connectivity problems, no whooshing, no breaking, no battery issues.
Can confirm, I'm in the same boat with no issues except a bad firmware update which Audeze went above and beyond to fix. Use my Penrose almost daily also...

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #7,022 of 7,191
All of above. I got mine replaced a month ago. Want to give to my brother in law or nephew so I can buy the new ones.

For wireless at a reasonable price, yes , they sound that good.

And if they've addressed some of the issues, and the ones I've now got fixed the weak point so I can gift guilt free, and I can justify my expense I will. ( Man maths. True Expense = RRP of new item wanted - RRP of original item gifted)

Seriously, they're not matched, not lagless wifi anyway

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #7,026 of 7,191
Are people actually excited to buy the Maxwell even after everything that's happened with Penrose? Penrose left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.
About the "bad taste" you are right. But it all depends on individual expectations... As I read long ago in this Thread, for someone that priorizes audio quality over all other subjects, Audeze, in the Gaming Scene is hardly to beat. As an audio expert (refering to Audeze), their first attemp of a Wireless Gaming Product is far under what meant to be expected and also when you look at the Competition. Audio Quality is eclipsed by poorly range, and worse buttons usage and layout. As a gamer product this issues are a "must" due to the fact that when you are playing a game you need speed in changing volume and adjusting other controls. Even in my case in which I need to be aware for calls, the Bluetooth options doesnt work too well...and with my new Z Fold 4 is worse than before with lots of cuts even with my phone next to me. I remark that Audio Quality is very important but thinking in a Party Match where all are talking and even shouting, quality falls behind compared with Range/Connectivity and Buttons Layout.

In my case both Penrose (XBOX and PS5) works well but I clearly notice the issues mentioned before. So one may expect that with this new iteration Audeze learnt the lesson so why not at least wait a little and see how this new product behave? If the issues are solved and the Audio Quality remains the same, the have a clear winner.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #7,035 of 7,191
Doesn’t seem to be keeping up with the competition as far as I can tell.

Sure there is more battery life but Steel Series TOTL comes with two batteries so there is never downtime. Just lots of features happening with that headset.

No way of knowing if the mic is any better but it doesn’t look different. The Penrose had perhaps the worst wireless mic audio quality, my friends literally asked me to stop using the Penrose when I previously owned it because my voice wasn’t clear enough for callouts.

These things also seem heavy, not sure I want that on my head for 20+ hours during a day 1 raid.

Would love if they would just partner with a gaming headset company and provide the drivers and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back