Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #6,856 of 7,196
Same for me. Even though i can understand that a product can only receive so much care, this is still not a finished product but a bad beta test.
For 300 € i have to work with bad connection, need to inform myself that thr product is not usable without a usb-extention cable, get only 2 updates for its lifetime while also have microfractures on the headset while using it for not even 2 years? Yes, the sound is good but that is just not everything (for me). I'm not even complaining about comfort as so many others on here. Sadly, it is still the best sounding wireless gaming headset on the market. Next time I'll opt for a worse sounding one though or a cable-bound headset again but anyway it'll likely not be from Audeze.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #6,857 of 7,196
New to this forum. Just ordered a pair of Penrose for PS with the full knowledge of the terrible wireless range and connection issues. I am ordering an additional dongle as I wish to mod it to add a larger WiFi aerial.
Has anyone here attempted this?

Edit:

Anyone??

bueller bueller

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #6,859 of 7,196
New to this forum. Just ordered a pair of Penrose for PS with the full knowledge of the terrible wireless range and connection issues. I am ordering an additional dongle as I wish to mod it to add a larger WiFi aerial.
Has anyone here attempted this?

Edit:

Anyone??

bueller bueller
Not done this but did you see the picture I once uploaded showing the tear down for FCC accreditation?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-penrose-x-and-penrose.937477/post-17034604

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEPTX/Internal-Photos/Product-Internal-5005326

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #6,860 of 7,196
I found the FCC pictures when I had the idea then I found this forum. I have reasonable soldering skills but my electronics knowledge is not the best. I hope it is possible to maybe add one or two SMA connectors to this board to be able to use regular 2.4ghz aerials like those found on many router/access points. This should significantly increase range. Could maybe 3D print a part to house the connectors or maybe even replace the Audeze stock casing entirely. I'd rather do this than hang super long USB extension cables from the ceiling. This solution won't work if the Penrose connection issues lie entirely with the headset and the dongle plays no part but I feel improving the TX power and increasing the RX sensitivity of the dongle surely has to help.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #6,861 of 7,196
I found the FCC pictures when I had the idea then I found this forum. I have reasonable soldering skills but my electronics knowledge is not the best. I hope it is possible to maybe add one or two SMA connectors to this board to be able to use regular 2.4ghz aerials like those found on many router/access points. This should significantly increase range. Could maybe 3D print a part to house the connectors or maybe even replace the Audeze stock casing entirely. I'd rather do this than hang super long USB extension cables from the ceiling. This solution won't work if the Penrose connection issues lie entirely with the headset and the dongle plays no part but I feel improving the TX power and increasing the RX sensitivity of the dongle surely has to help.
Sounds like you need to get the WiFi chip specs and then trace from there. The current aerials are presumably are the little white surface mounts labelled ANT1 and ANT2 on far left of the board on the FCC website. Presumably for forward and left/right reception respectively. (which is why I asked elsewhere if anyone with issues had success with rotation of the Dongle by 90° and pointing at listening position so the two planes intersect at that point)

Actually, thinking about it you might have some success with just putting into extension legs and rotating one of those internal aerials by 90°, I mean to say with the L shape of the two aerials pointing upwards vertically from the PCB as opposed to across the PCB.

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #6,862 of 7,196
Sounds like you need to get the WiFi chip specs and then trace from there. The current aerials are presumably are the little white surface mounts labelled ANT1 and ANT2 on far left of the board on the FCC website. Presumably for forward and left/right reception respectively.

Actually, thinking about it, I wonder what polarisation the antenna has in the headset. Horizontal or vertical?

The dipoles on this PCB clearly both oriented horizontally and therefore horizontal polarization at right angles presumably to try to give 360° coverage. But if the headset antenna is oriented vertically it won't help much. Most home WiFi is vertically polarised ( aerials are vertical on your router). Not sure about the headset.

(which is why I asked elsewhere if anyone with issues had success with rotation of the Dongle by 90° and pointing at listening position so the two planes intersect at that point)

Chris

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #6,863 of 7,196
Sounds like you need to get the WiFi chip specs and then trace from there. The current aerials are presumably are the little white surface mounts labelled ANT1 and ANT2 on far left of the board on the FCC website. Presumably for forward and left/right reception respectively. (which is why I asked elsewhere if anyone with issues had success with rotation of the Dongle by 90° and pointing at listening position so the two planes intersect at that point)

Actually, thinking about it you might have some success with just putting into extension legs and rotating one of those internal aerials by 90°, I mean to say with the L shape of the two aerials pointing upwards vertically from the PCB as opposed to across the PCB.
I was wondering if it would be possible to just replace the ANT1 and ANT2 surface mounts for SMA connectors to connect two external aerials. Not sure what if any electronics would need to go in between the SMA connectors and the board.

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #6,864 of 7,196
Yeah.

The WiFi aerial in the headset are in L shape vertically just to the front of the MIC switch on the PCB

If indeed the dongle aerials are both identical and L shaped in the horizontal plane rather than one already standing vertically then that would be an issue.
It would mean of the two aerials in the headset only one will be getting a signal to/from dongle at any one time.
(Assuming not lying down with earcup lying flat on its plane)

To fix, one of the aerials on the PCB of the Dongle should be vertical, alternatively rotate dongle by 90° about its longest axis. (Oriented like cutting with a knife rather than spreading butter)

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSERX/Internal-Photos/Product-Internal-5005508.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #6,865 of 7,196
You might want to try just chasing orientation first, and then if that works flip the USB on its axis by 90° so the L shape formed of the two antenna is vertical. Soldering usb likely to be easier than mucking with surface mount components

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #6,866 of 7,196
I figured out why my Penrose using the dongle has a terible quality.
1664501928929.png
1664502190004.png

The regular formats that usually shows if like the image above

1664502097014.png

From my main computer it's like the first image. I tried into another computer and shows all options ( like saying studio quality and so on...)
I've already removed all drivers from the dongle, reinstalled, but nothing works. Do we have any other method for installing the dongle driver to check how to fix it?

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #6,867 of 7,196
I figured out why my Penrose using the dongle has a terible quality.

The regular formats that usually shows if like the image above

From my main computer it's like the first image. I tried into another computer and shows all options ( like saying studio quality and so on...)
I've already removed all drivers from the dongle, reinstalled, but nothing works. Do we have any other method for installing the dongle driver to check how to fix it?

Here's mine, and a screenshot showing the standard Microsoft drivers
But are you plugged into a hub or perhaps an older computer where the device isn't USB 3.x?

You should be able to select 24bit although you won't get 192 kHZ and I doubt difference between 16bit and 24bit will be the difference between awful and wonderful.

But if you're talking about music quality, via wireless I'd have difficultly discerning difference between that and a wired connection.
(That is prolly because even wired I wouldn't bet again this headset using an analogue > digital > analogue stage - Audeze never said, how else would the equalisation also work on analogue/wired connection.)

How does your headset sound when plugged in via headphone wire?

Thanks

p.s. Your Grados? I have Grado SR80.

1664524639092.png
1664525012606.png

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #6,868 of 7,196
Here's mine, and a screenshot showing the standard Microsoft drivers
But are you plugged into a hub or perhaps an older computer where the device isn't USB 3.x?

You should be able to select 24bit although you won't get 192 kHZ and I doubt difference between 16bit and 24bit will be the difference between awful and wonderful.

But if you're talking about music quality, via wireless I'd have difficultly discerning difference between that and a wired connection.
(That is prolly because even wired I wouldn't bet again this headset using an analogue > digital > analogue stage - Audeze never said, how else would the equalisation also work on analogue/wired connection.)

How does your headset sound when plugged in via headphone wire?

Thanks

p.s. Your Grados? I have Grado SR80.

1664524639092.png1664525012606.png
Hey,

Yeah, that should be the "righ way" for the default windows driver. I tried into my Work computer and it's just like yours.
No, usb 3.1 and a relatively new Alienware laptop.
The point is that somehow in the past it was ok. Something did that and I cannot force the driver to be reinstalled by the proper way.
I took a time to figure out this because I've been using the Penrose as Bluetooth due to the range for doing calls while working and havent played much games during last month, then when I tried I figured out the "problem". But right now as the cofiguration is like into my screenshot the quality if really strange like... comparing the Dongel with the Bluetooth it's like comparing a 320kbps mp3 to an 64kbps or 32kbps file.

You asked the grado due to the Modi DAC? hahaha... actually I have a HD600 and an Hifiman Ananda as cable headphones.

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #6,869 of 7,196
Hey,

Yeah, that should be the "righ way" for the default windows driver. I tried into my Work computer and it's just like yours.
No, usb 3.1 and a relatively new Alienware laptop.
The point is that somehow in the past it was ok. Something did that and I cannot force the driver to be reinstalled by the proper way.
I took a time to figure out this because I've been using the Penrose as Bluetooth due to the range for doing calls while working and havent played much games during last month, then when I tried I figured out the "problem". But right now as the cofiguration is like into my screenshot the quality if really strange like... comparing the Dongel with the Bluetooth it's like comparing a 320kbps mp3 to an 64kbps or 32kbps file.

You asked the grado due to the Modi DAC? hahaha... actually I have a HD600 and an Hifiman Ananda as cable headphones.

If I look at my device manager settings I see my driver is MS default with 2019 date. Yours?

P.s. More the Grado in profile pic. Library shot?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #6,870 of 7,196
Big thanks to @Audeze and their Australian distributor for sorting me out with a replacement headset (had to send my broken one back to Australian Distributor). It arrived today (was listed as B-Stock, but can't tell why it would be B-stock).
One thing I am noticing though is some pops and crackling sound every now and then when on my PS5 via the Wireless dongle. I did a quick test of bluetooth and it doesn't appear to be happening.
I updated to the latest firmware as soon as I got it, so not sure if the problem existed before update unfortunately.
Is this an issue that people have experienced with the dongle before? I don't remember it being an issue with my old headset.

EDIT: After turning it off and then back on and playing for a bit, it went away. Will see if it comes back again. But has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back