Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6,766 of 7,191
@Audeze, Do you have plans to make Dac/Amp only for XBOX series X? This will give an opportunity to try LCD-GX headphone.

Thanks
Badri M
While we can't speak of any future products (whether possible or not), we are heavily invested in the gaming segment, and will look into many different avenues. It can be a year or 5 years (or 10 years), but it'd be a logical assumption to believe we are not done tapping into the gaming demo. :)

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #6,768 of 7,191
So I've been keeping the headset stretching over the box whenever I'm not wearing it. The first day it tightened right back up, the second day still tight, but today it was noticeably much more pliable and loose. When it tightened up it wasn't as tight as before. I was actually able to wear them for some time without any immediate discomfort (quick aches in random spots), however after taking them off my head is still hurting. Either way I consider that to be pretty good progress.

My Arya v2 and HD 800s caused immediate discomfort and even pain in the areas surrounding my ears, not so much giving me a headache. I also don't wear the penrose nearly as long as I did those so that's a good thing. I'll continue to stretch them and give updates.

Love the sound. If I were to send these back and keep the Steel series I don't see myself actually wearing the steel series much unless I wanted the microphone which I don't chat very often at all. The penrose I've enjoyed with games, music, and videos so far.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #6,769 of 7,191
While we can't speak of any future products (whether possible or not), we are heavily invested in the gaming segment, and will look into many different avenues. It can be a year or 5 years (or 10 years), but it'd be a logical assumption to believe we are not done tapping into the gaming demo. :)
That's good news for sure. I love my Penrose and I do hope for some firmware updates to fix some of the annoying bugs, but seeing a new product would be pretty great, like a updated penrose with maybe a better wireless hardware so it works better then a few feet away, and stronger construction my replacement pair is already starting to crack by the earcup again (guess my head is too big :slight_frown:).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #6,771 of 7,191
Putting out a new product without/before fixing the previous one would be a serious lack of respect for us early adopters.
Speaking frankly, many would see a new product being the fix for previous issues. So say an Apple iphone XX is out, and then Apple iphone XX2 is out a few years later addressing the issues with the XX... well, that is rectifying the issues that existed on the previous model.

Fixes many times can only be done with re-tooling or complete changes in hardware. In terms of headphones, re-tooling an existing model that isn't purely analog (aka with a chipset, or complicated electronics) can be incredibly expensive, and can take years to make logical fixes that don't bankrupt a small company.

In any tech space, early adopters will always have to deal with pains and tribulations that are remedied with newer models. That's just a fact of life. You buy a 2020 model vehicle, chances are the 2021-2022-2023 models will have fixes not implemented in 2020.

Just my two cents. Speaking generally here, not specific to Audeze or any one company.

I'm an early adopter of things like OLED TVs (I'm a huge tech nerd), which the year after the last model I bought got Dolby Vision 120hz support, and the VRR floating blacks I have on my unit has been fixed on the newer models. I JUST missed out on that. The price of tech improvements. It's gonna happen. I don't feel disrespected.

You will always feel like you missed out on something when the next iteration comes out. The cycle will never end. Tech improves, parts get swapped out, fixes get implemented. That is business, everywhere.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #6,775 of 7,191
While i agree with you, i'm betting your OLED TV does not have half baked "fixes" like voice cues from different people, or the lack of battery level over BT (which by the way i cannot use on my smartphone at all for phoning, only for music listening).

Don't get me wrong, i'm quite happy with the product (using it daily), and i fully agree that wireless range / hiccups / mic bandwidth / bluetooth issues etc cannot be fixed through software in most cases. And i know these issues will stick. But still, basic housekeeping is a minimum thing to do for early adopters.

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #6,776 of 7,191
I hope they make a more comfortable headset. That's my biggest complaint, it seems all high end headphones clamp so hard while even the "gamer headset" guys have figured out that lighter and less clamp force is the way to go. I have it stretching but it likes to go back to its original shape, though it seems to be getting a bit lighter each day.

Other improvements I'd like are actual adjustment wheels on the headset for volume and mic. Not the incremental click type.

What I do like is the sound quality and shape of the headphone itself. I've had zero connection issues and I like that you can store 5 EQ settings which I wish were a bit faster to sort through. I have no use for the Bluetooth stuff so no complaints there.

I got mine open box and it was essentially brand new and paid $200 in total. I just need it to clamp less and it's perfect

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #6,777 of 7,191
Is there any way to forcibly enable AAC in Windows 11?
By default headset is using SBC.
Only on wireless + BT windows selected AAC but just after that reconnected and went back to SBC with 200ms latency etc

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #6,778 of 7,191
Is there any way to forcibly enable AAC in Windows 11?
By default headset is using SBC.
Only on wireless + BT windows selected AAC but just after that reconnected and went back to SBC with 200ms latency etc
I didn't think it was out of Windows Beta yet. But if it is look here how do you know? When I looked I could only find convolute steps linked to see what is actually being used, otherwise normally hidden

https://helgeklein.com/blog/how-to-check-which-bluetooth-a2dp-audio-codec-is-used-on-windows/

p.s. upvote this>

https://aka.ms/AAews0d

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #6,779 of 7,191
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #6,780 of 7,191
I didn't think it was out of Windows Beta yet. But if it is look here how do you know? When I looked I could only find convolute steps linked to see what is actually being used, otherwise normally hidden

https://helgeklein.com/blog/how-to-check-which-bluetooth-a2dp-audio-codec-is-used-on-windows/

p.s. upvote this>

https://aka.ms/AAews0d
I've used this tool https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/tweaker/

It's free for limited time. Windows 11 should support aac from the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back