Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #6,676 of 7,191
Hey all. I have the headphones too, while I already had a Turtle Beach Stealth 700 gen 2. I like that the Penrose X goes louder.

I'm using a flat EQ now due to it being highly recommended, everything to zero. But for explosions, gun shots and such I could use just a bit more "oomph". Which setting in the EQ app do I need, which should I change, and to what?

Screenshot_2022-02-21-22-51-19-659_com.audeze.penrose.jpg

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6,677 of 7,191
I have been using this headphone since August for xbox x. Sound is good but build quality is in question mar. My right hand band clip broken. It is not roughly used. Its a very thin plastic piece got snapped. I find it difficult to use. Not sure how to claim this.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #6,678 of 7,191
The sound is ok. The mic is horrendous.
Yea - the PC/PS Portal sounded pretty good with music to me but not great for gaming (nowhere near the Penrose level).

Saying the mic is horrendous is being kind to the Portal. When tested on the PS5 it was absolutely abysmal. I’d be embarrassed telling my mates I was using a £450 headset. It’s literally PS5 controller standard.

Portal comfort with the Penrose sound/mic would be fantastic though. I’d compromise my Open Backed preference for that!

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #6,679 of 7,191
Do you guys sometimes have crackling sounds as well? Last week I had this during Cyberpunk and initially thought it was the game causing it. But just now while listening to music via Spotify I heard crackling throughout songs.

I decided to check the DTSX app on Xbox and change balanced sound to spacious. It was gone after that. But when I changed back to balanced it was gone too. Not sure what's causing it. I don't have this with my other headset, a Turtle Beach Stealth 700 gen 2.

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #6,681 of 7,191
Yeah, gonna be passing on the Penrose and instead opting for the open-back DT1990's and a pair of DT900 Pro X's for the Playstation VR2 & the upcoming Meta Cambria. the 48ohm should make them nice a loud for VR hehe.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #6,682 of 7,191
Do you guys sometimes have crackling sounds as well? Last week I had this during Cyberpunk and initially thought it was the game causing it. But just now while listening to music via Spotify I heard crackling throughout songs
I've also noticed that but I'm linking this issue to game not headset as during playing other games o Xbox have no issues at all

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #6,684 of 7,191
I have been using this headphone since August for xbox x. Sound is good but build quality is in question mar. My right hand band clip broken. It is not roughly used. Its a very thin plastic piece got snapped. I find it difficult to use. Not sure how to claim this.
This happened to you as well (see my pic below) ? Happened to me yesterday and have contacted the shop.

Never dropped these and been very careful. Now why didn't I just wait two more months last year and got The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal instead... Poor quality from Audeze and they feel rushed. Plenty of people having problems with quality.
IMG-20220315-072442.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #6,685 of 7,191
I was considering these HP's but after researching these and the cracking of the headband I decided to pass on them. My trusty Astro A50's I bought back in 2017 need a new battery and they keep disconnecting from the base station. The new base station for the current model Astro A50 is not compatable. I also considered the Steel Series Arctis Pro wireless but they have a issue with the headband cracking at the speaker cup. I also passed on that model since most are reporting it happens between 1 and 2 years. So currently I am using the Sennheiser 660S for gaming.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #6,686 of 7,191
I might be offered the opportunity to upgrade from my Penrose X to BO Portal for an extra 200€. Yay or nay? Bo are way pricier but these Penrose X were a birthday gift so didn't pay anything for them. Besides I'm skeptical of the quality of the Penrose but that could be due to I got them from the first batch or something.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #6,688 of 7,191
I might be offered the opportunity to upgrade from my Penrose X to BO Portal for an extra 200€. Yay or nay? Bo are way pricier but these Penrose X were a birthday gift so didn't pay anything for them. Besides I'm skeptical of the quality of the Penrose but that could be due to I got them from the first batch or something.
Why not just wait and see? The sound is great on the Penrose and if they break and Audeze can't help then make a decision then

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #6,689 of 7,191
This happened to you as well (see my pic below) ? Happened to me yesterday and have contacted the shop.

Never dropped these and been very careful. Now why didn't I just wait two more months last year and got The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal instead... Poor quality from Audeze and they feel rushed. Plenty of people having problems with quality.
IMG-20220315-072442.jpg

I can see at full extension the leverage of that piece sliding in/out would place on the bit that popped out a force of approx 3x the force on your ears. Would you say you have a particularly big head?

Either way action is the same which is to contact Audeze for advice.... They are helpful I hear

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #6,690 of 7,191
I can see at full extension the leverage of that piece sliding in/out would place on the bit that popped out a force of approx 3x the force on your ears. Would you say you have a particularly big head?

Either way action is the same which is to contact Audeze for advice.... They are helpful I hear
Not very big headed but I'm 6.5" tall so...
When I think about it, the night before I did change the leverage a little bit after noticed they were not even. Haven't changed it for like half a year or so.
Retailer got back to me and said that they have received similar returns and issue from other customers and will replace these.

Saw the article with the new version of Bo Portal will be launched this spring. Need to secure it will be that version and not the old one from last year if I go through with the upgrade. Don't care about the microphone so just want good wireless sound quality.

Edit: Read a review that Penrose X offers about 20% better audio quality than on the Portal. That's too big and I might be sticking to a new replaced Penrose X instead..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back