Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #6,481 of 7,191
Hello !

I recently bought an Audeze Penrose X to replace my wired headphone (AKG K553 pro, modded with a detachable cable) two of them actually, i was so disappointed in the first one i thought it was faulty.

The comfort is not great, for weird reason my left ear really hurts after an hour or so under the Penrose. Mids sounds muffled, especially voice in movies/games and there is this constant hissing, electronic sound loud enough to bother me even during a movie.
I also bought others wireless headphones (Steelseries one) and even if the hissing wasn't as loud as the Penrose, it was still there and it keeps bothering me.

So here are my questions : Can i find a better wireless headphone than the Penrose in terms of performance? I can enhance the comfort myself but i can't do anything about sound quality or hissing.
I really want to get rid of the cable but as of today, i couldn't find a headphones who can satisfy half of my expectations :frowning2:
In terms of sound quality nothing tops Mobius / Penrose as a gaming set at the moment. However if you’re not worried about the build quality and going wired go with Mobius. Mine got broken for example. The other thing is AKG 702 pro or 712 pro can give you a better soundstage than any other headphone can. You can try them. As to better sound quality I am not sure I haven’t tried but hifi 4XX or sundaras are also planar magnetic 100mm. So, they might be an alternative to Penrose yet you need a mod mic if you use them. The bad thing about modmic is that they don’t work with Xbox wirelessly.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #6,482 of 7,191
Thank you for your reply !
If i stick to a wired headphones, i won't take a Mobius. I'm not interested in emulated 7.1 it doesn't work well on me :frowning2:
I had a AKG K701 before the K553, i had to go closed back back then and i'm thinking of getting a new one. I'll check the Hifiman, thank you for the suggestions !

Like many people i wanted a headphone to do it all : work, games, movies, music... And for that, wireless is mandatory (the laundry not gonna do itself while i work from home...)

I'll test a wireless headset one last time, the Sennheiser H3 Pro Hybrid but i don't think it will be anywhere near of what i expect...

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #6,483 of 7,191
In terms of sound quality nothing tops Mobius / Penrose as a gaming set at the moment. However if you’re not worried about the build quality and going wired go with Mobius. Mine got broken for example. The other thing is AKG 702 pro or 712 pro can give you a better soundstage than any other headphone can. You can try them. As to better sound quality I am not sure I haven’t tried but hifi 4XX or sundaras are also planar magnetic 100mm. So, they might be an alternative to Penrose yet you need a mod mic if you use them. The bad thing about modmic is that they don’t work with Xbox wirelessly.
Philips Fidelio X2HR with a Vmoda Boom mic Pro. Fraction of the price, and a better gaming experience provided open back is an option. Runs from an Xbox controller easily and sounds great for gaming.

I have the ability to use far more expensive headphones for gaming, but the tuning and qualities of the X2HR make it phenomenal for gaming.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #6,486 of 7,191
@Audeze o chi può rispondere, perché quando alzo il db su eq, il volume generale si abbassa
thankyou
Ecco un articolo su come funziona la compensazione automatica del guadagno nell'app Penrose HQ. Aumenti inferiori a 3dB (che in realtà raddoppiano il volume delle frequenze interessate) non dovrebbero produrre cali di volume evidenti. Il miglior modo è tagliare le frequenze che non vuoi e mantenere il maggior numero di slider il più vicino possibile allo zero, ma tutto ciò che devi fare è aumentare il volume generale usando la rotella sull'auricolare se vuoi aumentare più di un paio dB.

Here's an article about how the Automatic Gain Compensation works in the Penrose HQ app. Boosts below 3dB (which is actually doubling the volume of affected frequencies) should not produce noticeable dips in volume. The best course is to cut frequencies you don't want and keep as many sliders as close to zero as possible, but all you have to do is increase the overall volume using the wheel on the headset if you want to boost more than a few dB.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 17, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #6,487 of 7,191
Philips Fidelio X2HR with a Vmoda Boom mic Pro. Fraction of the price, and a better gaming experience provided open back is an option. Runs from an Xbox controller easily and sounds great for gaming.

I have the ability to use far more expensive headphones for gaming, but the tuning and qualities of the X2HR make it phenomenal for gaming.
Does vmoda boom mic pro work with Xbox series X? I didn’t know that. Then it must be a attachable mic…

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #6,488 of 7,191
Please this! I find the current method of clicking hardly ever works and it ends up messing with the mic gain. For a gaming headset I really think the gaming needs should come 1st.
At least give the option to swap the function if you choose too that way everybody is happy.
I have given up on this, I think it never will be adressed. I have been trying to get them to change or option to change since I preordered the headset.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #6,493 of 7,191
From personal experience, some people prefer mic gain being the default scroll action, and some people want game/chat mix.

Either way we can't please everyone.

As it stands, game/chat mix is an Xbox only function. So it personally doesn't make sense for it to be the default action, whereas mic gain works for everything.

As mentioned by the Audeze account, it's not something that can be configurable at the software level. A choice had to be made, and considering the uses, I personally believe mic gain being the default action is the right call.
Call me weird, but I thought I was buying a headset for gaming on an Xbox. Maybe it was the lime green accents.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #6,494 of 7,191
Call me weird, but I thought I was buying a headset for gaming on an Xbox. Maybe it was the lime green accents.
While I admire the sarcasm, that pretty lime green Penrose X's options still work on your Xbox. So you're still getting the game/chat balance. As stated previously, the Penrose and Penrose X share the same firmware, so while you have lime green Penrose, those with Blue Penroses do not. Having the default action being something aimed for just one of the MANY...devices that these headsets can be used for, well, then I'd think you'd understand why the better default choice was the mic gain, leaving game/chat balance as secondary.

If it was an Xbox exclusive headset, sure. But they're not limited to just Xbox. This is just me thinking logically here, and not as an engineer. I would assume coming up with two separate firmwares just to address the needs of a few people doesn't really come across as logical. Especially when the option is still there, and only takes one extra action.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #6,495 of 7,191
While I admire the sarcasm, that pretty lime green Penrose X's options still work on your Xbox. So you're still getting the game/chat balance. As stated previously, the Penrose and Penrose X share the same firmware, so while you have lime green Penrose, those with Blue Penroses do not. Having the default action being something aimed for just one of the MANY...devices that these headsets can be used for, well, then I'd think you'd understand why the better default choice was the mic gain, leaving game/chat balance as secondary.

If it was an Xbox exclusive headset, sure. But they're not limited to just Xbox. This is just me thinking logically here, and not as an engineer. I would assume coming up with two separate firmwares just to address the needs of a few people doesn't really come across as logical. Especially when the option is still there, and only takes one extra action.
I think if the game/chat function worked well and consistently as it is now no one would have an issue. The fact it’s very spotty is where the problem lies.
Honestly I have such problems getting it to work using the method described in the manual I wonder if it’s actually broken. I’ve actually given up trying now.

I love the sound from these headphones. It’s just a shame this often used function has been implemented in a way that makes it unusable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back