Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #6,466 of 7,191
From personal experience, some people prefer mic gain being the default scroll action, and some people want game/chat mix.

Either way we can't please everyone.

As it stands, game/chat mix is an Xbox only function. So it personally doesn't make sense for it to be the default action, whereas mic gain works for everything.

As mentioned by the Audeze account, it's not something that can be configurable at the software level. A choice had to be made, and considering the uses, I personally believe mic gain being the default action is the right call.
I also agree mic gain makes more sense. The feature would otherwise be redundant on non xbox platforms. Whereas right now it is a feature for everyone.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #6,467 of 7,191
Ideal case would be, this is s/w configurable. But the chipset does not support easily doing this on the fly in S/W.
So the only way to do this would be to do a permanent change in firmware. But we tested this and it causes a lot of UX confusion.
That’s disappointing but if it can’t be done it can’t be done.

Can anyone tell me who uses the chat mix often the best way to do it please. I find if I click the wheel and release before adjusting it just affects the mic gain but trying to hold the wheel in and adjust at the same time is very hit and miss and fiddly. Almost feels broken tbh

A question regarding mic gain as it’s not something I’ve used - what is it for exactly? Mean if you set it once why would it need adjusting again?

Thanks

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #6,470 of 7,191
The new firmware will get released in a few days. We have no intention of neglecting Penrose. Some of these features require us to get help from the chipset vendors etc. These have much longer cycle times. For example the "disconnected" message seems a simple problem to solve from outside, but we have to get the status from one chip to another and have that trigger an action.
The other option is to give updates that we are working on this. But with some of these issues, we do not get any ETA from the chip vendors. So the "we are working on it" gets old very quickly. We are fully committed to supporting all our products.
What i would really like so see is the detail of "Various bug fixes"; many of us are plagued by some state bugs (e.g. BT problems when phoning in my case), and "Various bug fixes" does not allow to understand which fixes are coming.

Still, glad to see some action coming up.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #6,471 of 7,191
That’s disappointing but if it can’t be done it can’t be done.

Can anyone tell me who uses the chat mix often the best way to do it please. I find if I click the wheel and release before adjusting it just affects the mic gain but trying to hold the wheel in and adjust at the same time is very hit and miss and fiddly. Almost feels broken tbh

A question regarding mic gain as it’s not something I’ve used - what is it for exactly? Mean if you set it once why would it need adjusting again?

Thanks
There isn't a good way to do it which is why so many people have asked for it to be changed. Its just not a good design; just like the volume steps being massive. The only consistent message I feel like I see Audeze point to is the limitations of the chipset. Instead of just saying they cant do it, now the narrative is PS can't support, so mic gain makes the most sense. Okey, whatever. Before the story was that their Beta users wanted it this way and they swapped it.

I dont think they can change it, even if they wanted. At the end of the day we bought a budget headset that got a budget chipset. Combined with a small company that has moved their attention to new, revenue generating products.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #6,472 of 7,191
Okay so unfortunately I have completely lost my trust in Audeze products. First my Mobius broke because of the horrendous build quality issues it has. then I got a replacement and sold it to get Penrose X and the issues I had with it also have not yet been resolved. I decided going with Lucidsound LS50x. I got these for my Xbox and daily music. I know they sound like no other but ls50x is considered the second best sounding headset and it’s a little cheaper than Penrose X. I heard nothing but good things about the headset. Hopefully going back to dynamic drivers won’t affect my listening experience so bad that I will have to switch to HiFi sundaras or H4xx with planars. In case you are in the same shoes with me as a gamer on xbox series x, this is my last recommendation for you. I still love Audeze and their products other than the headsets except GX or whatever the model name was thousand dollar one seems a great headset for pc. And I would honestly get that headset if I was playing on PC but on next generation consoles unfortunately it wouldn’t be convenient due to being fully wired. Hopefully Audeze stop trying to clear up the mess that comes with their products and get over it since they already have a market now, they can just release the second version of Mobius and they can bring the 3D audio tech they put in Mobius -maybe a more advanced version of it- along with Xbox ps5 compatibility and they can make a cheaper Penrose edition with some features are missing from the first version. I don’t know I don’t see any reason to give so much support and find solutions to the problems that cannot be slowed and waste time whereas they can focus on doing the next one right and with minimal errors. It’s my relative idea about this matter. Good luck everyone here who got the Penrose. Hope all of your individual problems can be solved and Penrose can bring that quality they should offer with the price tag they put on their headsets. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #6,473 of 7,191
Okay so unfortunately I have completely lost my trust in Audeze products. First my Mobius broke because of the horrendous build quality issues it has. then I got a replacement and sold it to get Penrose X and the issues I had with it also have not yet been resolved. I decided going with Lucidsound LS50x. I got these for my Xbox and daily music. I know they sound like no other but ls50x is considered the second best sounding headset and it’s a little cheaper than Penrose X. I heard nothing but good things about the headset. Hopefully going back to dynamic drivers won’t affect my listening experience so bad that I will have to switch to HiFi sundaras or H4xx with planars. In case you are in the same shoes with me as a gamer on xbox series x, this is my last recommendation for you. I still love Audeze and their products other than the headsets except GX or whatever the model name was thousand dollar one seems a great headset for pc. And I would honestly get that headset if I was playing on PC but on next generation consoles unfortunately it wouldn’t be convenient due to being fully wired. Hopefully Audeze stop trying to clear up the mess that comes with their products and get over it since they already have a market now, they can just release the second version of Mobius and they can bring the 3D audio tech they put in Mobius -maybe a more advanced version of it- along with Xbox ps5 compatibility and they can make a cheaper Penrose edition with some features are missing from the first version. I don’t know I don’t see any reason to give so much support and find solutions to the problems that cannot be slowed and waste time whereas they can focus on doing the next one right and with minimal errors. It’s my relative idea about this matter. Good luck everyone here who got the Penrose. Hope all of your individual problems can be solved and Penrose can bring that quality they should offer with the price tag they put on their headsets. Thanks.

...and... big breath.

good luck.

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #6,475 of 7,191
...and... big breath.

good luck.
Hold your breath I’ve been posting to this thread and Mobius thread since forever I just explained why I am switching because I supported their customer service here against other people and thought they were concerning for nothing. Products can be faulty but also can be fixed with firmware. I just realized not always. And they are just struggling to find solutions after a year this game set has become available. Take another deep breath now.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #6,477 of 7,191
Hold your breath I’ve been posting to this thread and Mobius thread since forever I just explained why I am switching because I supported their customer service here against other people and thought they were concerning for nothing. Products can be faulty but also can be fixed with firmware. I just realized not always. And they are just struggling to find solutions after a year this game set has become available. Take another deep breath now.
I actually meant the uber-paragraph

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,480 of 7,191
Hello !

I recently bought an Audeze Penrose X to replace my wired headphone (AKG K553 pro, modded with a detachable cable) two of them actually, i was so disappointed in the first one i thought it was faulty.

The comfort is not great, for weird reason my left ear really hurts after an hour or so under the Penrose. Mids sounds muffled, especially voice in movies/games and there is this constant hissing, electronic sound loud enough to bother me even during a movie.
I also bought others wireless headphones (Steelseries one) and even if the hissing wasn't as loud as the Penrose, it was still there and it keeps bothering me.

So here are my questions : Can i find a better wireless headphone than the Penrose in terms of performance? I can enhance the comfort myself but i can't do anything about sound quality or hissing.
I really want to get rid of the cable but as of today, i couldn't find a headphones who can satisfy half of my expectations :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back