Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 13, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,437 of 7,191
I see these software issues, which I hope get worked out soon. What I haven’t seen recently in this thread are issues with the build quality. Is that a problem on these, like it is on the Mobius? The two reasons I don’t own a Mobius headset right now are having a ginormous head, which would exacerbate the build quality of the headset, and that it has never been revised to include BT 5.0, the latter being a very minor nitpick.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,438 of 7,191
I see these software issues, which I hope get worked out soon. What I haven’t seen recently in this thread are issues with the build quality. Is that a problem on these, like it is on the Mobius? The two reasons I don’t own a Mobius headset right now are having a ginormous head, which would exacerbate the build quality of the headset, and that it has never been revised to include BT 5.0, the latter being a very minor nitpick.
I think my noggin is 60cm and I have no real issues/ I do keep mine on this when not using it.

I can see where there is a sharp corner where headset U piece joins the headband and right near that there is a screw that holds the head-side part of which just covers the wire - should be totally unnecessary **
And yeah anyone who's done even basic high-school design work knows you try to avoid sharp corners at stress points, and screw-holes, and especially not both at the same vicinity. Reading some of the reports on the Mobius and one or two here I would say that whoever didn't create a concave curve at that point on both the U piece and the bit that is bolted in should have serious words with themselves.
However, touch wood no cracks are appearing on mine. I use mine daily for about 150 days over the last year I would estimate - 4 to 6 hours of calls a day I would reckon.

** if wires were threaded through holes but I assume drilled into the heaphone U piece. But I assume was done for assembly-line reasons. Allows a pre-assembled + soldered + electronic bits to be introduced into the headband, and then the covers screwed into place. **

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #6,439 of 7,191
Stay tuned. As in imminently.
Praying this fixes the "connected", "connected", "connected", "connected", "connected".... message I get constantly when I'm sitting less than 5ft away from the dongle with nothing but air in its path to me.

Also get a crackle/peaking sound when connected to the dongle via Series X and bluetooth at the same time which is super annoying. Audio from BT is clear but the audio from the xbox is terrible in this situation....

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #6,440 of 7,191
Praying this fixes the "connected", "connected", "connected", "connected", "connected".... message I get constantly when I'm sitting less than 5ft away from the dongle with nothing but air in its path to me.

Also get a crackle/peaking sound when connected to the dongle via Series X and bluetooth at the same time which is super annoying. Audio from BT is clear but the audio from the xbox is terrible in this situation....
Try to attach recever intro another usb port also use usb short extender. I Got no issues at all using same way.

Usb 3.0 can couse issues.
Along with WiFi 2?4 devices

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #6,441 of 7,191
Release notes for firmware update have been updated, but new firmware hasn't come through the AudezeHQ app for me yet.
Release notes state:
2021.12.13 - v0.1.12:
  • Added a Bluetooth only mode for when a simultaneous Bluetooth/2.4 connection is not wanted.
  • Removed subsequent voice cues after losing connection to wireless dongle.
  • Various bug fixes

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #6,443 of 7,191
Release notes for firmware update have been updated, but new firmware hasn't come through the AudezeHQ app for me yet.
Release notes state:
2021.12.13 - v0.1.12:
  • Added a Bluetooth only mode for when a simultaneous Bluetooth/2.4 connection is not wanted.
  • Removed subsequent voice cues after losing connection to wireless dongle.
  • Various bug fixes
We need to wait for an updated version of the AudezeHQ-app right? :)
Edit: They were updated on the same day last time to add some stuff to the HQ-app but thats not the case with earlier Penrose FW's.. So I guess it can update anyways.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #6,445 of 7,191
Try to attach recever intro another usb port also use usb short extender. I Got no issues at all using same way.

Usb 3.0 can couse issues.
Along with WiFi 2?4 devices
Tried multiple ports on the front and back of the series X along with the USB extender with the same result. I was to the point where the dongle was a foot away from me and it was still doing it.

Nothing network wise has changed so I can't see why there would be "new" interference as it happens sporadically which is the most annoying part. At least this update stops the voice cue for it so let's see if it actually stops dropping too.

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #6,450 of 7,191
They first updated the datalog telling the firmware update before actually release the firmware. Great, as expected from audeze regarding Penrose and their neglect.

What? Didn't they once already say they've got one release mechanism so need to release info softly to test even if software for us lot to then download is not yet enabled.

Also I don't think you can fairly say neglect. I've not seen anything that suggests that. Some interesting decisions but not negligence.

Remember Audeze is about 30 odd employees. Compare that to hyperX who per LinkedIn are somewhere between 200 and 500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back