Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 4, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #6,421 of 7,191
Just canceled my order. After waiting for two weeks to ship and seeing that they don't work properly or as they should. If these have so many glaring issues Audeze should issue a recall and rework these. For $300 they should work 100% as intended! I hate these products that come out that are obviously made on agile sprints rather than focused on and developed. @Audeze STOP PRODUCING BETA PRODUCTS, I'M NOT A TEST SUBJECT!
Mine have worked fine since day 1

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #6,422 of 7,191
That’s the same article that was up before. The mic quality is low compared to other wireless headsets.

I returned my initial purchase because everyone said I sounded bad. If they fixed it…I might be interested in the B-stock.
Well actually the mic quality of Penrose itself is great. It can be actually considered top notch. It is made by Shure but yes when you use the headset wirelessly the mic quality drops. That’s why I got the Mobius and went wired instead. If you use it wired it should be just fine tho. Good reminder for me btw to get that mic separately. Tho I hate it this accessories are not sold separately in Canada. I have to order it from the USA which means duty tax bam bam bam.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #6,423 of 7,191
Adding my experience:
- play ps5 on my couch, use wireless
- use mic for Hell Let Loose (amazing game)
- listen to Bluetooth music occasionally
- no issues with connection
- don’t use it for phone calls
- sound for games and music is amazing
- left ear whoosh (to me it sounds like a distant windstorm) is intermittent. Noticeable in quiet music/game sections.

Overall: for $300 this is a prime sound experience. Whoosh is annoying, I hope they fix it, but would buy the headset again due to high quality wireless ps5 experience
High quality wireless ps5 experience with that unbalanced tempest 3D audio. ?? No when it comes to sound department you want Dolby Atmos, DTSx, SDX on your console. As far as I know Xbox has Dolby Atmos which is a superior virtual surround sound solution to ps5s tempest. That’s why there’s no high quality wireless sound experience on ps5 unfortunately. I hope they stop being stubborn and get the licence for Dolby Atmos so that ps5 players can enjoy the sound in their games. But not like in games like starfield, elder scrolls VI they’re all Xbox IPS now. Sad. If you were talking about the quality of the headset again I’d recommend you to find an Xbox and test it with that console. Cheers!

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #6,424 of 7,191
Well actually the mic quality of Penrose itself is great. It can be actually considered top notch. It is made by Shure but yes when you use the headset wirelessly the mic quality drops. That’s why I got the Mobius and went wired instead. If you use it wired it should be just fine tho. Good reminder for me btw to get that mic separately. Tho I hate it this accessories are not sold separately in Canada. I have to order it from the USA which means duty tax bam bam bam.
Yeah...I was just wondering if they had managed to get the mic to sound good wirelessly. It's possible for headsets to have good mic quality wirelessly...Audeze seems to have not figured it out in software. I'm not plugging in a $300 wireless headset to get it's mic to sound as good as my $100 wireless headset that doesn't need the dongle (xbox). Communication and mic quality is just as important as audio quality in gaming...The steel series...the Astros...and even the Lucid Sound LS35x I got on sale for $100 have better mic quality.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #6,425 of 7,191
High quality wireless ps5 experience with that unbalanced tempest 3D audio. ?? No when it comes to sound department you want Dolby Atmos, DTSx, SDX on your console. As far as I know Xbox has Dolby Atmos which is a superior virtual surround sound solution to ps5s tempest. That’s why there’s no high quality wireless sound experience on ps5 unfortunately. I hope they stop being stubborn and get the licence for Dolby Atmos so that ps5 players can enjoy the sound in their games. But not like in games like starfield, elder scrolls VI they’re all Xbox IPS now. Sad. If you were talking about the quality of the headset again I’d recommend you to find an Xbox and test it with that console. Cheers!

I certainly may be missing out and have not experienced XBox sound so that fact should be included in my assessment. Thanks!

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #6,426 of 7,191
I'm glad I feel the opposite. PS5 tempest 3D audio is amazing. The problem is not all games use it. The games that do use it I have been impressed. When it comes to those Xbox games. You can keep them. I have been a die hard playstation fan since I was 13yrs old when I got my PS1. The penrose has issues. It's not the endgame gaming headset we all wished it was. Is it the best sounding? Yes it is. Audeze can only do so much with firmware updates. I would not be surprised if they launched a new model that fixes all of the issues that the penrose has.

Horizon forbidden west and God of War Ragnarok will have 3D audio next year. I can't wait to play those next year.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #6,427 of 7,191
I'm glad I feel the opposite. PS5 tempest 3D audio is amazing. The problem is not all games use it. The games that do use it I have been impressed. When it comes to those Xbox games. You can keep them. I have been a die hard playstation fan since I was 13yrs old when I got my PS1. The penrose has issues. It's not the endgame gaming headset we all wished it was. Is it the best sounding? Yes it is. Audeze can only do so much with firmware updates. I would not be surprised if they launched a new model that fixes all of the issues that the penrose has.

Horizon forbidden west and God of War Ragnarok will have 3D audio next year. I can't wait to play those next year.
3D audio is just a software same as Dolby Atmos etc. And i doubt thats sony's one is better.

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #6,428 of 7,191
Tempest is the best for sure if all the "requirements" are met. The problem is certain people don't match well with any of the profiles and only a handful of games really use it to it's full potential.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #6,431 of 7,191
Hey guys,
Do anyone know if Penrose (blue ones, without the X) will work with Xbox Series X after plugging the USB adapter into the console? They 100% work with NSwitch/PC for sure but how about XSX? If not, do you think I might connect them via 3.5mm jack directly to the gamepad (elite 2) and still use the microphone?
A year ago when I bought the Penrose headset, I was not planning to get the XSX as my third one (after Switch and PS5)...
Well, life can surprise.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #6,432 of 7,191
Hey guys,
Do anyone know if Penrose (blue ones, without the X) will work with Xbox Series X after plugging the USB adapter into the console? They 100% work with NSwitch/PC for sure but how about XSX? If not, do you think I might connect them via 3.5mm jack directly to the gamepad (elite 2) and still use the microphone?
A year ago when I bought the Penrose headset, I was not planning to get the XSX as my third one (after Switch and PS5)...
Well, life can surprise.
It won't

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #6,433 of 7,191
Man I am really regretting dropping $300 on these penrose. I am a nurse and just did a long 12hr shift. I'm in my room about 9 feet from the PS5 in my bed trying to play that unreal 5 matrix demo. I power up the penrose and as soon as I start the demo is starts popping and clicking like crazy so I move closer to the 3-4 foot range and the pops and clicks decrease by a large rate but are still present but faint. I really wanna just lay and bed and enjoy this demo. So I switch to pulse 3d and no pops or clicks are heard. I can hear the downgrade in audio once I switch to the pulse 3d but at least they work.

I turned off the blu tooth mode on the penrose. Updated the firmware and have tried USB extenders. Audeze has sent me a new USB transmitter and I have returned the headphones twice so far. I really like the sound and mic but it's frustrates me a ton because a pair of $99 budget gaming headphones like pulse 3d have abosultley no range issues. I can walk to my kitchen which is the next wall over and stand by the microwave and pop a bag of popcorn and the pulse 3d will still receive a audio from the PS5. This is my last post here. Good luck to all that have this headset or plan to purchase it in the future. You guys stay stay safe and happy holidays.

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #6,434 of 7,191
Hey guys,
Well, life can surprise.
They don't work with the Xbox. The Xbox specific pair works with Playstation however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back