Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 29, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #6,406 of 7,191
I built up a new PC over the weekend. Here are my findings:

On the new motherboard, if I use a USB 3.0 slot, I actually hear some of the interference issues that others have reported which I NEVER heard on my old PC.

If I use a USB 2.0 slot, I get no interference.

Whooshing in left cup remains unchanged. Present and annoying.

Hi

Yes - USB C / 3.0 is known to cause wifi interference because the noise from USB 3.0 is basically the same as BT + WiFi.

"...The noise from USB 3.0 data spectrum can be high (in the 2.4-2.5GHz range)"

It's why people use increasingly long extension cables but I believe that's not really the point as then, (conjecture from me) the cable is simply bringing that signal out to the dongle. In my opinion if you're seeing issues plugging into a USB 3.0 port then then it's a good idea to set that port to USB2.0 in BIOS settings.

https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/13179/wireless-witch-the-truth-about-usb-30-and-wi-fi-interference

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #6,410 of 7,191
For me, BT doesn't even work properly (Samsung Galaxy S9)... It's completely unusable. That may be why i amost never get the whooshing...
I thought my BT didn't work either until I realised that to do BT pairing you need to (slowly) double tap the power button. I was holding down the other button until it said pairing, but that is for wireless pairing. Have you tried that?

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #6,411 of 7,191
There is no ideal products as anything has compromises. Could you please give a list of similar products?
Here is a (year old) list of 2.4ghz wireless headsets, ie similar to the Penrose: https://reddit.com/r/LifelongCaboose/comments/kq00im/12a_lifelongcabooses_wireless_gaming/

I searched for reports of wooshing sounds with other headsets there but could only get results for the Penrose. Hence my point that other similar products don't have this issue/compromise.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #6,412 of 7,191
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #6,413 of 7,191
I thought my BT didn't work either until I realised that to do BT pairing you need to (slowly) double tap the power button. I was holding down the other button until it said pairing, but that is for wireless pairing. Have you tried that?
Well, the pairing works okay, so does listening to music, but calls are unusable ("crackling" sound 90% of the time).

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #6,415 of 7,191
Here is a (year old) list of 2.4ghz wireless headsets, ie similar to the Penrose: https://reddit.com/r/LifelongCaboose/comments/kq00im/12a_lifelongcabooses_wireless_gaming/

I searched for reports of wooshing sounds with other headsets there but could only get results for the Penrose. Hence my point that other similar products don't have this issue/compromise.
quoted wrong post:

There is definitely a whoosh that occurs and builds up slowly over the time on Windows earpiece drivers. Toggling mute on/off doesn't fix. toggling BT off/on does fix (until the error/noise accrues over time again)

Cracking and disconnection is possible to be related to WiFi vs USB interference
The whooshing might be due to interference from the electronics in the headset after the signal has been received by the headset
But whooshing or noise otherwise should be impossible to be due to USB vs WiFi interference being a digital medium with error will either work, or crackle out (hence the above)

My personal feeling is that it's a driver issue as the only time I've experienced anthing that I could cause "whooshing" it was over BT and fixed by toggling the BT as above.

Or are you hearing a different whooshing? Has anyone ever recorded it?

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #6,416 of 7,191
Adding my experience:
- play ps5 on my couch, use wireless
- use mic for Hell Let Loose (amazing game)
- listen to Bluetooth music occasionally
- no issues with connection
- don’t use it for phone calls
- sound for games and music is amazing
- left ear whoosh (to me it sounds like a distant windstorm) is intermittent. Noticeable in quiet music/game sections.

Overall: for $300 this is a prime sound experience. Whoosh is annoying, I hope they fix it, but would buy the headset again due to high quality wireless ps5 experience

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #6,417 of 7,191
quoted wrong post:

There is definitely a whoosh that occurs and builds up slowly over the time on Windows earpiece drivers. Toggling mute on/off doesn't fix. toggling BT off/on does fix (until the error/noise accrues over time again)

Cracking and disconnection is possible to be related to WiFi vs USB interference
The whooshing might be due to interference from the electronics in the headset after the signal has been received by the headset
But whooshing or noise otherwise should be impossible to be due to USB vs WiFi interference being a digital medium with error will either work, or crackle out (hence the above)

My personal feeling is that it's a driver issue as the only time I've experienced anthing that I could cause "whooshing" it was over BT and fixed by toggling the BT as above.

Or are you hearing a different whooshing? Has anyone ever recorded it?
I tried but my mic wouldn't pick it up. It needs a sealed surface with the mic in it within the earcup for it to be detected over ambiance, I think.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #6,419 of 7,191
I also have the whoosh, but don’t generally find it bothersome for any content I’m listening to. I tend to only notice it when things are completely silent, like on the XB dashboard.

The Penrose’ biggest weakness is probably its range. I don’t encounter issues with crackling or dropouts when I play in my small den (7 feet), but I do get the odd crackle in the living room (maybe 15-17 feet?).

Withstanding all that, I would still buy Penrose again, every day of the week. You can’t unhear the quality once it’s been heard, and most other headsets in the gaming arena just don’t hold a candle to these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back