Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #6,391 of 7,191
I do get very faint wind-like wooshing sound while waiting for Teams meetings to begin, but it's so low it doesn't really bother me. Having the side tone (or some setting like that) off helps a lot with the wooshing. And I only use the dongle, no bluetooth.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #6,392 of 7,191
popping etc could be from other electronics at home like microwave etc.
Try using only wifi 5 network.
During gaming turn off bluetooth on headset only wireless should be used.
Also 300 for planar is like a "present"

You see your proving my point "turn off bluetooth" why should I turn of an advertised feature like having bluetooth on a $300 headset. I use $900 orbi router in my house. I have majority of devices on 5 ghz already. I turned off all the Wi-Fi at 3am one night and I was still getting interference.

I have $99 pulse 3d that never disconnects. Yeah I know the pulse 3d does not have the sound quality of penrose. The usb dongle of the pulse 3d is also like 3x smaller than the penrose also so why does it a ton more range then the penrose.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #6,394 of 7,191
You see your proving my point "turn off bluetooth" why should I turn of an advertised feature like having bluetooth on a $300 headset. I use $900 orbi router in my house. I have majority of devices on 5 ghz already. I turned off all the Wi-Fi at 3am one night and I was still getting interference.

I have $99 pulse 3d that never disconnects. Yeah I know the pulse 3d does not have the sound quality of penrose. The usb dongle of the pulse 3d is also like 3x smaller than the penrose also so why does it a ton more range then the penrose.
I've ment only turning off bt gaming.
I believe that planar speakers are limiting range. They can't put powerful transmitter inside becose of interference it would make.
Also planar has 100mm speakers and pulse are equipped with 40mm drivers so it really hard to compare dimensions.
Also pulse for listening music is like crap just like almost all gaming headsets.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #6,396 of 7,191
I never said the pulse were on the same level as the penrose. The penrose sound really good but at $300 should not be disconnecting and have poor range when a pair of $99 crap gaming headphones like the pulse that uses the same 2.4 Ghz wireless band has no issue at all with disconnection and range.
300 for planar is like a gift.
Also I've mentioned the reason why range is pour. Just guessing but that's obvious

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #6,399 of 7,191
I do get very faint wind-like wooshing sound while waiting for Teams meetings to begin, but it's so low it doesn't really bother me. Having the side tone (or some setting like that) off helps a lot with the wooshing. And I only use the dongle, no bluetooth.
I think you may refer to the noise/static when no audio is playing and the mic is on (which can indeed be reduced by muting the mic); the wooshing is really single-ear, it's a bit different. I just had it a couple of times. Fortunately, not present/noticeable (to me) during listening.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #6,400 of 7,191

I think this proves a fantastic point, if you have to turn off a feature for them to work reliably as advertised, then they're hardly fit for sale. Joe public aren't the testers, I've tried three pairs of these and all had issues and were returned.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #6,401 of 7,191
I built up a new PC over the weekend. Here are my findings:

On the new motherboard, if I use a USB 3.0 slot, I actually hear some of the interference issues that others have reported which I NEVER heard on my old PC.

If I use a USB 2.0 slot, I get no interference.

Whooshing in left cup remains unchanged. Present and annoying.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #6,402 of 7,191
If you are defending the wooshing issue, you must not have experienced it. It is really bewildering! It sounds like there is a swirling, windy storm to my left. And adding to its distraction is that it comes and goes for minutes at a time. The white noise from sidetone is quieter, equal in both ears, and is a hum, so you can quickly forget about it. Completely different!

All this guessing as to the reason is beside the point. I'm using the product as it is intended, and this issue affects the quality of the main thing it is built to produce: sound. If the product couldn't be made without these compromises, then the product shouldn't exist. But we can all think of similar products that don't have such an issue.

Turning off key features like BT isn't a solution (and doesn't fix it anyway) nor is putting on something loud enough to mask the sound (I should be able to enjoy music and games with quiet moments).

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,403 of 7,191
If you are defending the wooshing issue, you must not have experienced it. It is really bewildering! It sounds like there is a swirling, windy storm to my left. And adding to its distraction is that it comes and goes for minutes at a time. The white noise from sidetone is quieter, equal in both ears, and is a hum, so you can quickly forget about it. Completely different!

All this guessing as to the reason is beside the point. I'm using the product as it is intended, and this issue affects the quality of the main thing it is built to produce: sound. If the product couldn't be made without these compromises, then the product shouldn't exist. But we can all think of similar products that don't have such an issue.

Turning off key features like BT isn't a solution (and doesn't fix it anyway) nor is putting on something loud enough to mask the sound (I should be able to enjoy music and games with quiet moments).
Just curious how could "woosh" effect on sound if it appears only during no signal from source.
I built up a new PC over the weekend. Here are my findings:

On the new motherboard, if I use a USB 3.0 slot, I actually hear some of the interference issues that others have reported which I NEVER heard on my old PC.

If I use a USB 2.0 slot, I get no interference.

Whooshing in left cup remains unchanged. Present and annoying.
Yup. Usb3 interference is rather well known issue not only on Penrose

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #6,405 of 7,191
For me, BT doesn't even work properly (Samsung Galaxy S9)... It's completely unusable. That may be why i amost never get the whooshing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back