Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #6,376 of 7,191
Speaking as a user, not as an Audeze rep here.

Mine have also worked fine since launch. They also look like the day I received them. Never had any wireless issues either. Though at the moment I need another dongle as mine is in storage or may be outright lost.

I think people need to understand, the term vocal minority. You always always have those with issues barking the loudest, whereas people who have no issues aren't inclined to go online on forums, reddit, etc to speak of their satisfaction. This goes beyond headsets. You will almost only hear complaints online. This is doubly so with a vocal group like gamers.

Not to say these issues aren't valid. They absolutely are. Just saying people need to be careful thinking things are widespread, when they aren't. We're talking percentages of percentages out of total volume of units out there.
Plenty of us on here have complained about the whooshing still present on the left earcup.

A reminder that the previous version of firmware had this issue present on both earcups. So it somehow got 50% fixed?

I hope new feature requests do not get implemented ahead of fixing existing problems.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6,378 of 7,191
Mine work just fine. Have since launch. 🤷🏻
The way people play on these differed. If you don't mind me asking, but how do you play on your Penrose and which ones do you have? Are you sitting from the couch or at a desk? I think people who play on these from the couch have more of a chance for the technical errors you see popping up. Also, it seems that the PlayStation version have fewer problems. Would be great to get any feedback from someone with these without problems. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #6,379 of 7,191
The way people play on these differed. If you don't mind me asking, but how do you play on your Penrose and which ones do you have? Are you sitting from the couch or at a desk? I think people who play on these from the couch have more of a chance for the technical errors you see popping up. Also, it seems that the PlayStation version have fewer problems. Would be great to get any feedback from someone with these without problems. Thanks!
I have the Penrose X, only play on Series X and I sit on my couch about 6-7 feet from the console.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #6,381 of 7,191
I have the Penrose X - sit about 7 feet from either PS5 or Xbox in the lounge and also have used them about 2 feet away from the PC when working - no issues in either setup (other than fairly short range - probably start losing signal when about 12 feet from the dongle I guess). No USB extenders or anything - dongle plugged into 3 different (non powered) USB hubs and within a foot or two of my router also.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #6,382 of 7,191

I use Penrose with PS5 and sit on a couch 2-3m away from the console, no issues. I also use it my work laptop for conference calls without issues. Sound only starts crackling and cuts out when I leave the room and go to kitchen, where there are a few walls and large kitchen appliances blocking the signal.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #6,383 of 7,191
I use my Penrose daily, for meetings, music and gaming. I do enjoy them, understanding they have tradeoffs being a wireless headset. Having this quality sound at low-latency is great. I'm fortunate to not have connection issues over the short distance I tend to use them, though they cannot cope with being more than 1 room away.

But the one thing I really want to change, and that stops me from actively recommending these to other people, is the damn wooshing sound in the left earcup. It's been going on right now for 10 mins as I wait for another meeting to start (and I don't want to drown myself in music all the time). I've had discussions with other people about headset purchases and when this comes up, it's bewildering to them. (Then I tell them the price!)

I have already had them replaced once, but the replacement set has the identical issue. It took months to replace them due to shipping back to the US and I can't manage with doing that again.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #6,384 of 7,191
Also have woosh but can't say that's really annoying me.
I suppose that is due to Planars speaker and bluetooth / 2.4 radios installed in left year and can't be fixed.

I hope fixing this "issue" wont effect on sound quality and signal to noise ratio etc etc. Also want to mention that issue dissapears when listening music / playing games even on very volume. Why do people so complain about that? For Audeze 300 dollars for headset is like a present it can have some issues.
Its almost the only one headset that can be used for listening music both with chat and gaming.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #6,385 of 7,191
Also have woosh but can't say that's really annoying me.
I suppose that is due to Planars speaker and bluetooth / 2.4 radios installed in left year and can't be fixed.

I hope fixing this "issue" wont effect on sound quality and signal to noise ratio etc etc. Also want to mention that issue dissapears when listening music / playing games even on very volume. Why do people so complain about that? For Audeze 300 dollars for headset is like a present it can have some issues.
Its almost the only one headset that can be used for listening music both with chat and gaming.

I don't think that is correct. I mean, for the first 10 minutes after powering them on, there is no whooshing. Then it is present for the rest of the day.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #6,386 of 7,191
My only issue with the headset is that I cannot have the dongle connected while booting my PC as it may cause a BSOD. I've been sent a replacement dongle a month ago but since USPS was used it will take me an additional 2-3 months to get it from our local post office.

I do not have a range issue, I have the dongle around 2-3 ft away when using it on my desktop but if I use it while working its more than 20ft away and its 100% fine. No woshing too!

I wonder if they've manage to replicate and isolate the cause of thid woshing issue, since its not affecting everyone is it a hardware issue?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #6,387 of 7,191
I don't think that is correct. I mean, for the first 10 minutes after powering them on, there is no whooshing. Then it is present for the rest of the day.
Issue on my headset appears from time to time and can't say exactly when.
Maybe because i don't were headset without gaming / listening to music so silence with woosh is really rare thing
Sorry for my English btw

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #6,388 of 7,191
I'm on my third pair. Some nights they pop and click and disconnect. Then I get some nights when they perform well. I have tried turning off all the Wi-Fi in my house, USB extenders, and different USB ports on PS5. Audeze sent me a newer USB transmitter for the penrose also. These do feel like a beta. The sound quality is great but these do have a lot of issues that should not be present on a $300 product.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #6,389 of 7,191
I'm on my third pair. Some nights they pop and click and disconnect. Then I get some nights when they perform well. I have tried turning off all the Wi-Fi in my house, USB extenders, and different USB ports on PS5. Audeze sent me a newer USB transmitter for the penrose also. These do feel like a beta. The sound quality is great but these do have a lot of issues that should not be present on a $300 product.
popping etc could be from other electronics at home like microwave etc.
Try using only wifi 5 network.
During gaming turn off bluetooth on headset only wireless should be used.
Also 300 for planar is like a "present"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back