Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #6,361 of 7,191
Hi everyone, just recieved a Penrose X. Unfortunately I ordered a yellows Playstation Penrose and the retailer made a mistake and sent me the blue X Xbox version instead.

I'm trying to figure out if I should return it. I researched that the X can be used on Playstation via wireless, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Tempest 3D situation seems a but unclear: it seems that there's some version of virtual surround that all headsets recieve but possibly there may be a better virtual surround that only Sony and selected headsets can do such as the Arctis 7x. These headsets are advertised as "Tempest 3D" headsets, not "Playstation 5 compatible". Anyone know if this is correct?

I just want to make sure there's no reason to swap the headset over for the Playstation version. It seems like there's no Tempest 3D for Audeze so there's probably no reason to swap it.

about 3d audio any headphones can get that if you enable it in the ps5 menu and now with the ps5 new update even tvs can get 3d audio

so you are all set with the blue penrose for PS5 like me. they are amazing. enjoy and it was a bit strange to read your message about colours , lol

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #6,362 of 7,191
Figured, I was playing with house money🤪 sounds great flat on all EQ’s. Thanks for the introduction to Redscape. I’m using the wireless dongle but am considering wired. Any noticeable difference? Also, are you setting Redscape to 24 bit 4800 which appears to be the limitation of the headset or something different? Sorry to bombard you with questions but you seem to have the exact same setup 😬
48khz is because you have to remember, this is essentially taking the equivalent of 7 channels and doing as conversion. Dolby Digital/DTS are capped at 48khz. Hi-res surround based audio is different, and I don't know what they run at. I imagine the bandwith of 7 channels at 48khz is around as much as higher res 2 channels. I dunno the maths, but running 5/7 channels at higher than 16bit/48khz is a lot of bandwith. Probably more than can be handled. I def don't know the technical side of audio here.

Like on a Creative G6, you can do 24/96 in stereo, or 24/48 in 5.1/7.1 (I forgot, as I've given my G6 away to a friend).

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #6,363 of 7,191
Hi - regarding "the whoosh" is it only on PC? IS the concern related when connected to BT devices?

If so then I've pinpointed that I think the issue relates to either the Headset Earphone channel (not the higher-fidelity headset headphone channel). It's either the driver or the mixer firmware or the hardware supporting that lower-fidelity earphone channel.

Symptoms:
Initially headset is quiet
After a period of time, often when I've been on calls and then just finished, I then notice I'm now getting a continuous but soft whoosh, whoosh, whoosh .
(I can't say when as it creeps up on me. either during the call or after)
But when it is occurring if I mute the Headset Earphone in the Windows sound profile it immediately goes away. If I unmute it returns.
Note that when muting/unmuting I can leave the Headset Headphone channel unmuted and it is fine - hence why I think it relates to the headset earphone channel driver/mixer.

Workaround:
Turning off the headset and back on again and the sound goes away.... until it next creeps up on me hour or so or during the next call.

@Audeze do you hear this too? Are you looking into whether this is driver or firmware or hardware issue?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #6,365 of 7,191
My completely subjective and therefore untrustworthy review is: the Penrose are amazing.

I've only used them for one game, Dirt Rally 2.0, which is notable for good game audio as far as car games, and the difference between them and the Mobius in 2CH mode is much larger than I was expecting. It's a game that gets complaints because the engine sound volume are somewhat realistic meaning they're quite unpleasant at times.

Everything sounds much more distinct and separated. I've getting thrills from audio from a game that I have thousands of hours on, they are phenomenal.

I also love the addition of mic monitoring.

Also, am I colour blind to some degree or could you describe the green Penrose as yellow?

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #6,366 of 7,191
My completely subjective and therefore untrustworthy review is: the Penrose are amazing.

I've only used them for one game, Dirt Rally 2.0, which is notable for good game audio as far as car games, and the difference between them and the Mobius in 2CH mode is much larger than I was expecting. It's a game that gets complaints because the engine sound volume are somewhat realistic meaning they're quite unpleasant at times.

Everything sounds much more distinct and separated. I've getting thrills from audio from a game that I have thousands of hours on, they are phenomenal.

I also love the addition of mic monitoring.

Also, am I colour blind to some degree or could you describe the green Penrose as yellow?

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #6,367 of 7,191
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #6,370 of 7,191
Casually picked up my set from my desk the other night and I assume the stress of lifting it up by one end caused this to happen to the opposite end:

IMG_8589.JPG

Was really shocked by how it just fell apart. I don't always pick this up from my desk like a holy grail, but I've also never been rough with it. Guess I picked it up at the wrong angle one too many times and that part by the left cup weakened over time.

Reached out to their support and we'll see if I have any options. It's under a year old.

any updates?

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #6,372 of 7,191
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #6,373 of 7,191
Just canceled my order. After waiting for two weeks to ship and seeing that they don't work properly or as they should. If these have so many glaring issues Audeze should issue a recall and rework these. For $300 they should work 100% as intended! I hate these products that come out that are obviously made on agile sprints rather than focused on and developed. @Audeze STOP PRODUCING BETA PRODUCTS, I'M NOT A TEST SUBJECT!

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #6,374 of 7,191
Just canceled my order. After waiting for two weeks to ship and seeing that they don't work properly or as they should. If these have so many glaring issues Audeze should issue a recall and rework these. For $300 they should work 100% as intended! I hate these products that come out that are obviously made on agile sprints rather than focused on and developed. @Audeze STOP PRODUCING BETA PRODUCTS, I'M NOT A TEST SUBJECT!
Mine work just fine. Have since launch. 🤷🏻

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #6,375 of 7,191
Speaking as a user, not as an Audeze rep here.

Mine have also worked fine since launch. They also look like the day I received them. Never had any wireless issues either. Though at the moment I need another dongle as mine is in storage or may be outright lost.

I think people need to understand, the term vocal minority. You always always have those with issues barking the loudest, whereas people who have no issues aren't inclined to go online on forums, reddit, etc to speak of their satisfaction. This goes beyond headsets. You will almost only hear complaints online. This is doubly so with a vocal group like gamers.

Not to say these issues aren't valid. They absolutely are. Just saying people need to be careful thinking things are widespread, when they aren't. We're talking percentages of percentages out of total volume of units out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back