Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #4,756 of 7,191
I think that is a ground loop issue, and won't be solved through firmware. Try plugging into different locations. Directly into the USB port on the console, Into a power strip, Into the wall outlet. You can also plug it into a portable battery, the kind you would use to charge a phone.

Nailed it. This is a common occurrence charging any audio equipment due to ground loops. As he said, try different power sources to see if you can mitigate it.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #4,757 of 7,191
Which do you like more?

The Penrose sounds better. They are more detailed and dynamic. The closed-back isolation is nice, especially if there is any kind of noise in your environment, like people walking through or making dinner or having conversations. Don't know if the battery is replaceable. I'm slightly disturbed that my AirPods pro are essentially disposable when the battery life is not sufficient after 2 or so years. I hope when the time comes that the 3 pads and the battery can be replaced on the Penrose.

The xbox controller is probably not up to powering the HD600's. They sound fine, but not special. They're very comfortable of course and all the parts are replaceable. The pair I have are more than 10 years old.

I don't have any opinion about the mod mic vs. the Penrose mic. They both work fine for me, but I haven't been on the receiving end of being able to listen to both.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4,759 of 7,191
So Just by way of an update, I took the ear pads off the headset and had a closer look at the silver material and found that in both cups the silver material had tears in it which I am quite certain is the reason for the sounds I am hearing. The audio itself doesn't appear impacted but the crinkle sound is so loud on even slight movement of my head whilst wearing. Not sure how this has happened and so soon after purchase but it doesn't bode well.
I have the same problem

So I took mine off. Clean as a whistle. So is this Blown or punctured that is the question? Mine has a black acoustic gauze over the top of the plastic "fins" / wave guides, also untouched. Is yours?

Either way, I'd return it asap as probably defect during assembly. (hence why I asked about the gauze - if the gauze is intact it cannot have been external puncture)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,760 of 7,191
Can anyone shed some light on ear temperature when wearing these? Do your ears get very hot / sweaty due to the pleather cups or are they alright? Looking for a new headset now that my Logitech G933 is dying.
I've done some long gaming sessions with them. No ear heat. Be advised though. They pressurize pretty well on your ear. When I switched to them from my Astros I noticed I could definitely feel more air pressure inside my ear canals. It quickly normalized for me though and now I'm only aware of it if I think about it. You can always try swapping to Dekoni ear pads or some generic ear pads if you have bad results.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #4,761 of 7,191
Can anyone shed some light on ear temperature when wearing these? Do your ears get very hot / sweaty due to the pleather cups or are they alright? Looking for a new headset now that my Logitech G933 is dying.

I use mine for work. My ears are fine upto around 2 hours of calls, although sometimes on back to back calls or even if I've forgotten to take them off it's been 3 - 3.5 hours. That's when you notice they're toasty and also it's about at that point when I take them off that I realised they had been exerting a fair amount of clamping force (although as others have noted it either loosens or you become less aware of it)

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,762 of 7,191
I'm looking at getting the Penrose for PS5, as I want to use the 3D Audio feature. I'm currently using my Sennheiser HD 58X headphones plugged into the DualSense, but the compression through the controller is awful (especially compared to the sound I get through my amp, but then I can't get 3D audio that way). Do the Penrose sound good? How do they sound compared to something like a good pair of Sennheiser's plugged into the controller?

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #4,763 of 7,191
I'm looking at getting the Penrose for PS5, as I want to use the 3D Audio feature. I'm currently using my Sennheiser HD 58X headphones plugged into the DualSense, but the compression through the controller is awful (especially compared to the sound I get through my amp, but then I can't get 3D audio that way). Do the Penrose sound good? How do they sound compared to something like a good pair of Sennheiser's plugged into the controller?

Penrose sounds better than my old Sennheiser PC 373D plugged into the USB-port, or my LCD-MX4 straight out of PS5 controller.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,764 of 7,191

If you mean 3D head tracking Penrose doesn’t support it. Mobius does. However just get Penrose for PS5. It sounds better than 58x with an amp for sure. Not a huge leap but at least a couple steps up if you switch to Penrose. You will experience 3D through PS5’s tempest. I don’t recommend Mobius to ps5 owners because the dualsense is worse than Xbox controller at delivering the audio the way it should. Although I guess you can connect it via USB on PS5 so that won’t matter. No wireless tho unless you have a Bluetooth transmitter on your tv

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,765 of 7,191
The Penrose sounds better. They are more detailed and dynamic. The closed-back isolation is nice, especially if there is any kind of noise in your environment, like people walking through or making dinner or having conversations. Don't know if the battery is replaceable. I'm slightly disturbed that my AirPods pro are essentially disposable when the battery life is not sufficient after 2 or so years. I hope when the time comes that the 3 pads and the battery can be replaced on the Penrose.

The xbox controller is probably not up to powering the HD600's. They sound fine, but not special. They're very comfortable of course and all the parts are replaceable. The pair I have are more than 10 years old.

I don't have any opinion about the mod mic vs. the Penrose mic. They both work fine for me, but I haven't been on the receiving end of being able to listen to both.

Xbox controller powers up my Mobius pretty well but yeah for 600hd you gotta drive them with an amp since they don’t have a built in amp/dac like Mobius does and they require more power than an Xbox controller can output.

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #4,766 of 7,191
I have the same problem
I know its probably not right, but I take comfort in knowing that its not just my pair that have had this issue :) I have requested a refund from my retailer and have ordered a pair of Steel Series Arctic pro wireless that were on sale here in Aus, they have simultaneous BT and Wireless, apparently great range, a two battery system and apparently are much more comfortable. Expecting the audio quality not to be quite up to scratch vs the Penrose but I will make that sacrifice for all the rest of the upsides I think.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #4,767 of 7,191
So I took mine off. Clean as a whistle. So is this Blown or punctured that is the question? Mine has a black acoustic gauze over the top of the plastic "fins" / wave guides, also untouched. Is yours?

Either way, I'd return it asap as probably defect during assembly. (hence why I asked about the gauze - if the gauze is intact it cannot have been external puncture)

The black gauze is in perfect condition, until I started experiencing the 'crinkling sound' upon movement I had only ever taken one ear pad off once so definitely no puncturing. I think its a design flaw on the choice of material and suspect more will start to find this issue over time...I was quite early to get my headset so perhaps with more time we will see more adding to this issue. I have had an occasional issue where the sound of the headset blasted to extreme levels (already posted) when switching from BT to PC wireless, I wonder whether this bug could have caused extreme air movement that caused the tear in the silver material, regardless this should not happen.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,768 of 7,191
The black gauze is in perfect condition, until I started experiencing the 'crinkling sound' upon movement I had only ever taken one ear pad off once so definitely no puncturing. I think its a design flaw on the choice of material and suspect more will start to find this issue over time...I was quite early to get my headset so perhaps with more time we will see more adding to this issue. I have had an occasional issue where the sound of the headset blasted to extreme levels (already posted) when switching from BT to PC wireless, I wonder whether this bug could have caused extreme air movement that caused the tear in the silver material, regardless this should not happen.

I have added a photo of one of my cups with a circle on the tear just for completeness.
20210125_140250.jpg

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #4,769 of 7,191
So Just by way of an update, I took the ear pads off the headset and had a closer look at the silver material and found that in both cups the silver material had tears in it which I am quite certain is the reason for the sounds I am hearing. The audio itself doesn't appear impacted but the crinkle sound is so loud on even slight movement of my head whilst wearing. Not sure how this has happened and so soon after purchase but it doesn't bode well.
Pretty sure earlier in this thread they mentioned that material they used is extremely delicate. That even just putting them on you are supposed to do it extremely slow an gentle. The air being pushed out just by that can damage it. And never push them against your ears to try to make a better seal. If its that delicate there should be some bigger warnings displayed.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #4,770 of 7,191
I know its probably not right, but I take comfort in knowing that its not just my pair that have had this issue :) I have requested a refund from my retailer and have ordered a pair of Steel Series Arctic pro wireless that were on sale here in Aus, they have simultaneous BT and Wireless, apparently great range, a two battery system and apparently are much more comfortable. Expecting the audio quality not to be quite up to scratch vs the Penrose but I will make that sacrifice for all the rest of the upsides I think.
I've had the pro wireless for about a month now and I'm extremely pleased with them. When I was waiting on delivery I found out about the Penrose and was second guessing myself after all the conflicting reviews on the pros. I think they sound great. The tempest 3d lessens the strong bass and treble so you hear the 3d part better. I switch back and forth from usb 3d to optical from TV and the dts surround sound. Most of the time the dts wins. I havent noticed the hissing sound people say when on the menu screen. Just make sure you put them on and off by the headband so hopefully they don't crack at the hinge. Think after all the bugs get worked out il try the Penrose in a year unless go on sale in meantime. I dont think you'll be sorry. My first gaming headset but no complaints yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back