Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,741 of 7,191
I read continuous conflicting messages.
there are those who say "it fits perfectly to me" and those who say "I lose the signal and I hear a lot of pop / crack" ..
my dealer contacted me today to tell me that the Penrose X have arrived and if I want I can confirm the order ..
what do you advise me to do? do I take or leave?

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #4,742 of 7,191
there are those who say "it fits perfectly to me" and those who say "I lose the signal and I hear a lot of pop / crack" ..
my dealer contacted me today to tell me that the Penrose X have arrived and if I want I can confirm the order ..
I think the conflicting messages are down to what appears to be a headphone with a wide variety of issues. It clearly has bugs that need fixing. It's charge time is high, it's range is less than many other wireless headsets. It sounds very good.

It's the Cyberpunk 2077 of the headphone world right now. It needed a bit more time. My pair is generally good, but my console is at my desk so I'm very close to it. If you're going to be far away from it then it may not work well for you.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #4,743 of 7,191
If they have a good return policy, then no harm in trying it out. If not or high restock cost, I would look elsewhere

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,745 of 7,191
They got back to me very quickly. The price is correct.

tenor.gif

44€ in Finland, but only few pairs left.

No issues of any kind on my Penrose after a week or so of use. I can recommend taking a chance on them.
Comfort could be better, but it's not unwearable or anything.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,747 of 7,191
For those having comfort issues I recommend trying something like what I did. It totally fixed the pain I was having from the headband.

I ordered a headset headband wrap from Amazon from Geekria that snaps together around the headband. I ordered the standard size but it was an absolute bear to get the buttons snapped. Maybe try the larger size.

It honestly doesn't look bad with the headset, especially since I swapped out the green earcups to carbon. Definitely less visually offensive to me than Dekoni nuggets would be.
20210125_103204.jpg
20210125_103250.jpg

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #4,748 of 7,191
With wireless devices, generally speaking connection issues can be ironed out with software upgrades. Good sound can't.
I don’t necessarily agree with this statement. I haven’t seen a tear down of the Penrose specifically but often times wireless issues actually stem from poor hardware choices with respect to the chipsets used. You can’t software fix hardware limitations. Again, I’m not claiming that’s the case here but it’s a very common source of wireless issues.

I do think Penrose has the best sound of any 2.4 RF headphones I’ve heard though.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #4,750 of 7,191
For those having comfort issues I recommend trying something like what I did. It totally fixed the pain I was having from the headband.

I ordered a headset headband wrap from Amazon from Geekria that snaps together around the headband. I ordered the standard size but it was an absolute bear to get the buttons snapped. Maybe try the larger size.

It honestly doesn't look bad with the headset, especially since I swapped out the green earcups to carbon. Definitely less visually offensive to me than Dekoni nuggets would be.
20210125_103204.jpg20210125_103250.jpg
Thanks for the pics, always good to see an example. I'll never understand their choice of using Exorcist vomit green 🤮

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,752 of 7,191
Of all the issues being reported here, I find this one to be the least concerning - I just leave them on charge overnight.

The torn foil under the ear cups needs an explanation, though.

What say you @Audeze?
They are out of the return window for majority of people. And since then they have been mostly absent, I'd be surprised if they show up and say anything at all.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,753 of 7,191
@Audeze The one major issue I am currently noticing is a hum coming out of my mic if I plug in the cord to charge while still playing. Can this be fixed with firmware? I tested with both low power usb charging and high speed charging with a 45w charger. Different hums, but definitely problematic in both cases. With such a long real world charging time these need to be able to play and charge.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,755 of 7,191
@Audeze The one major issue I am currently noticing is a hum coming out of my mic if I plug in the cord to charge while still playing. Can this be fixed with firmware? I tested with both low power usb charging and high speed charging with a 45w charger. Different hums, but definitely problematic in both cases. With such a long real world charging time these need to be able to play and charge.

I think that is a ground loop issue, and won't be solved through firmware. Try plugging into different locations. Directly into the USB port on the console, Into a power strip, Into the wall outlet. You can also plug it into a portable battery, the kind you would use to charge a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back