Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #4,726 of 7,191
Well, I finally got a replacement dongle for the bricked one I originally got in the box on 12/19...and unfortunately I'm going to be returning these headphones.

My primary use case for buying this was to PC game on a couch approximately 15 feet away from my PC. Now that I have a functional 2.4 dongle, I was able to test the wireless this weekend and they just didn't perform well. I experienced constant clicks, static and occasional disconnects even without any walls between the dongle and headphones. I tried all the troubleshooting I could (e.g. direct on computer, using usb extension, turning off bluetooth devices, etc.) and nothing seemed to improve the quality.

For anyone else curious about my other thoughts on the product:
- I still find these headphones incredibly uncomfortable even after a month of using them. The Dekoni nuggets and the Dekoni Suede pads did help some, but ultimately this is a headphone with heavy clamp and fairly small ear pads. Which is a losing combination for my head. Were I keeping these, the comfort would be a sacrifice I would make for all the other benefits. I guess my take home here is big heads (I'm a 7 3/4 hat size) beware if you don't enjoy clamp.

- Sound quality is amazing for the price point.

- Build quality is good overall but my right driver is louder than the left. It's not a super bad imbalance, but its noticeable when listening to tracks.

- The microphone actually sounded good, but it had too much gain on both wireless and Aux. Even on the lowest gain settings, there was still noticeable hissing when recording myself in audition. This is unlikely to be a big deal for most people, and could be edited out in post-production, but it was a bit surprising to me that the hiss was ever-present on both aux and wireless.

I'm kind of in the same boat here.

I have tested them for almost a month. The fact that even the @Audeze rep here recommended turning sidetone off to reduce the static sound is not promising. I get constant low static even without sidetone on, found the same issue with too much gain in the mic causing hiss, and have the weird wooshing sound in the left driver periodically.

I have not had the disconnects that others have complained about.

The clamp is too high for me even after stretching them on a pillow. No idea what my hat size is, but I don't have a small head. I end up with headaches after every time I wear them. Sorry to hear you invested in the extra pads and whatnot to make them work and it was still uncomfortable.

The sound quality has been very good, though I am leaning towards returning them this week. Reps here haven't really followed up to confirm that they'll fix the static, sidetone, left driver wooshing, etc.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #4,727 of 7,191
So I have a new and serious issue with this headset in that whenever I move my head I hear a sound in the ear cups like someone 'crinkling' a heavy aluminum foil roasting tray. It started in the right ear and now as of 1 hour ago both ears make the same sound every time I move my head. It is audible above the sound the headset is making and a total deal breaker. I am so disappointed. Popping an cushion off, I can tell straight away that its something to do with the silver material on the top of the planar magnets, it seems that this component is flexing inside the ear cup, pressing on either cup even gently makes this same sound. Guess I will contact my retailer and ask for a refund, not sure i have the tenacity to keep messing around with this product.
So Just by way of an update, I took the ear pads off the headset and had a closer look at the silver material and found that in both cups the silver material had tears in it which I am quite certain is the reason for the sounds I am hearing. The audio itself doesn't appear impacted but the crinkle sound is so loud on even slight movement of my head whilst wearing. Not sure how this has happened and so soon after purchase but it doesn't bode well.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #4,728 of 7,191
I took the ear pads off the headset and had a closer look at the silver material and found that in both cups the silver material had tears in it which I am quite certain is the reason for the sounds I am hearing. The audio itself doesn't appear impacted but the crinkle sound is so loud on even slight movement of my head whilst wearing. Not sure how this has happened and so soon after purchase but it doesn't bode well.

:fearful::fearful::fearful:

I dare not look.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #4,735 of 7,191
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #4,736 of 7,191
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4,737 of 7,191
Hehe!
Do let us know what they replied. :)
They got back to me very quickly. The price is correct.

tenor.gif

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #4,738 of 7,191
So Just by way of an update, I took the ear pads off the headset and had a closer look at the silver material and found that in both cups the silver material had tears in it which I am quite certain is the reason for the sounds I am hearing. The audio itself doesn't appear impacted but the crinkle sound is so loud on even slight movement of my head whilst wearing. Not sure how this has happened and so soon after purchase but it doesn't bode well.
I have the same problem

Attachments

• E35BA74B-8ED9-48FC-88AA-FD69F85F52B8.jpeg
    E35BA74B-8ED9-48FC-88AA-FD69F85F52B8.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #4,739 of 7,191
I have used mine for a week now and they have been working great, no white noise with mic monitor on or off, no dissconnect etc. Great sound sound on my PS4 and no issues with comfort on my head even when wearing them for 12 hours. My only issue is that it takes 6 hours to charge them. I might return them just for that. Is anyone getting the claimed 3 hours of charge time on their Penrose? If so what charger are you using?

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,740 of 7,191
I have used mine for a week now and they have been working great, no white noise with mic monitor on or off, no dissconnect etc. Great sound sound on my PS4 and no issues with comfort on my head even when wearing them for 12 hours. My only issue is that it takes 6 hours to charge them. I might return them just for that. Is anyone getting the claimed 3 hours of charge time on their Penrose? If so what charger are you using?
My Samsung 45w charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back