Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,696 of 7,191
Just got my Penrose X and set it up on my Xbox Series X, and I’m a little confused as to what the experience is supposed to be:

- The headphones keep saying “Connected” periodically. I’m sitting about 7 feet away from my Xbox Series X (which is NOT in any kind of cabinet), so range should not be a problem. The Xbox (and therefore the Penrose WiFi transmitter) is literally 2 inches away from the closest mesh AP node.
- Audio is coming out of both the headphones AND the TV output (in this case a SONOS ARC connected to the TV via the arc (not eARC, unfortunately) HDMI port. I had expected the headphones to steal all audio output (i.e. gaming would be silent to the rest of the room). What’s the point of having headphones on if the TV is blasting the audio too?

I have not done any kind of firmware update. Are either of these “By Design” or do I have another defective unit?

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,697 of 7,191
Just got my Penrose X and set it up on my Xbox Series X, and I’m a little confused as to what the experience is supposed to be:

- The headphones keep saying “Connected” periodically. I’m sitting about 7 feet away from my Xbox Series X (which is NOT in any kind of cabinet), so range should not be a problem. The Xbox (and therefore the Penrose WiFi transmitter) is literally 2 inches away from the closest mesh AP node.
- Audio is coming out of both the headphones AND the TV output (in this case a SONOS ARC connected to the TV via the arc (not eARC, unfortunately) HDMI port. I had expected the headphones to steal all audio output (i.e. gaming would be silent to the rest of the room). What’s the point of having headphones on if the TV is blasting the audio too?

I have not done any kind of firmware update. Are either of these “By Design” or do I have another defective unit?
I just want to address the audio bit of your comment. Thats down to your settings on the xbox that the sound is coming out of both you can literally choose which option you want in audio options.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #4,698 of 7,191

The Penrose transmitter is not Wi-Fi. It is a radio transmitter. It only connects with the headphones. The transmitter likely does not like sitting next to a Wi-Fi hotspot or smothered by other electronics. Try plugging the transmitter into the front of the Xbox. If you still get a bad signal try using a short USB extension cable to move it to the top of the cabinet or some place away from the wireless access point.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,700 of 7,191
anyone tried this one? will the mobius ear gel pad fit the penrose?
IMG_1547.jpg

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #4,703 of 7,191
I just want to address the audio bit of your comment. Thats down to your settings on the xbox that the sound is coming out of both you can literally choose which option you want in audio options.

I assume you mean in the “General -> Volume & audio output” page? It seems to know that the headphone is plugged in because the “Headset audio” controls are enabled while the “Speaker audio” controls are grayed out and also say “Headset format”. But I am still getting audio out of the SONOS ARC.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #4,704 of 7,191
I assume you mean in the “General -> Volume & audio output” page? It seems to know that the headphone is plugged in because the “Headset audio” controls are enabled while the “Speaker audio” controls are grayed out and also say “Headset format”. But I am still getting audio out of the SONOS ARC.

Ok that’s just weird. A few questions.. Did you reset the Xbox ? Did you try reconnecting the headphones ? And lastly did you try turning Sonos completely off repairing with headphones first and try Sonos later ? If you did all of these well I’m out of ideas.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #4,706 of 7,191
The Penrose transmitter is not Wi-Fi. It is a radio transmitter. It only connects with the headphones. The transmitter likely does not like sitting next to a Wi-Fi hotspot or smothered by other electronics. Try plugging the transmitter into the front of the Xbox. If you still get a bad signal try using a short USB extension cable to move it to the top of the cabinet or some place away from the wireless access point.

Yeah, that seemed to fix things. Moving the transmitter to the front resulted in a significant drop in the connection problems (I did not have a “Connected” event in the 20 min I was playing around with this after moving the transmitter).

I still had audio coming out of both the speaker and the headset, though. I’ve been googling around on this issue and much of what I’m finding is that this is By Design. I’ve found articles saying that you should manually turn down the volume on the speaker. This is CRAZY to me. The Xbox clearly knows there’s a headset plugged in. It should shut off the audio stream to the TV. I would just like someone to confirm what I’m experiencing is the designed/expected behavior.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #4,707 of 7,191
Ok that’s just weird. A few questions.. Did you reset the Xbox ? Did you try reconnecting the headphones ? And lastly did you try turning Sonos completely off repairing with headphones first and try Sonos later ? If you did all of these well I’m out of ideas.

Haven’t tried to reset the Xbox yet. SONOS doesn’t turn off. When it gets an audio signal over the HDMI port, it just plays it. IMO, it’s Xbox that should NOT be sending the audio signal out of its HDMI port when a headset is detected.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,708 of 7,191
Quick update: used the Penrose X for 40-50 hours now. My Series X sits on the ground to my right ~4ft from the headphones, with the transmitter connected to the front USB port, and only a desk (sort of) in between. I am using DTS. I've mainly played Apex, Doom, Dirt Rally, plus lots of Spotify and movies.

No connection problems whatsoever. No sound issues either. Adjusting on the android app is a little wonky. Mic is hit or miss. I like the monitoring a lot, and the warm profile of the mic. However, I occasionally get complaints of sounding quiet or muffled. I have been able to address these sometimes, by repositioning mic and making sure mic volume is high or at 100%. The trick seems to be to find that perfect place where the mic picks up your voice clearly but not your breathing (specifically nose exhalation). Still working on that.

All that said, these are by far the best-performing headset I have owned. I look forward to putting them on every day, and to experiencing new and old games, songs, and movies through them. I paid a hefty price, and so far I do not regret it. On the contrary, I'm glad to be fortunate enough to be able to get them.

Good luck to everyone working to optimize theirs or waiting for a fix.

Jan 24, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #4,709 of 7,191
Quick update: used the Penrose X for 40-50 hours now. My Series X sits on the ground to my right ~4ft from the headphones, with the transmitter connected to the front USB port, and only a desk (sort of) in between. I am using DTS. I've mainly played Apex, Doom, Dirt Rally, plus lots of Spotify and movies.

No connection problems whatsoever. No sound issues either. Adjusting on the android app is a little wonky. Mic is hit or miss. I like the monitoring a lot, and the warm profile of the mic. However, I occasionally get complaints of sounding quiet or muffled. I have been able to address these sometimes, by repositioning mic and making sure mic volume is high or at 100%. The trick seems to be to find that perfect place where the mic picks up your voice clearly but not your breathing (specifically nose exhalation). Still working on that.

All that said, these are by far the best-performing headset I have owned. I look forward to putting them on every day, and to experiencing new and old games, songs, and movies through them. I paid a hefty price, and so far I do not regret it. On the contrary, I'm glad to be fortunate enough to be able to get them.

Good luck to everyone working to optimize theirs or waiting for a fix.

Do you have audio coming out of ONLY the headset?

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #4,710 of 7,191
So I have a new and serious issue with this headset in that whenever I move my head I hear a sound in the ear cups like someone 'crinkling' a heavy aluminum foil roasting tray. It started in the right ear and now as of 1 hour ago both ears make the same sound every time I move my head. It is audible above the sound the headset is making and a total deal breaker. I am so disappointed. Popping an cushion off, I can tell straight away that its something to do with the silver material on the top of the planar magnets, it seems that this component is flexing inside the ear cup, pressing on either cup even gently makes this same sound. Guess I will contact my retailer and ask for a refund, not sure i have the tenacity to keep messing around with this product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back