Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #3,543 of 7,191
Blinks when it's trying to connect, then solid once it's stabily connected.
Okay thanks. My light shows it is connected but the device doesn't show up on any of my computers as an output device so guess I am just SOL. At this point, I have to assume I was shipped a DOA dongle and have reached out to support for a replacement.

I understand they were under timing constraints trying to get these out quickly, but not catching a bricked USB dongle tells me there had to be pretty minimal (if any at all) QC on these products.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3,544 of 7,191
There’s certainly something odd going on. Mine have been faultless. Not disconnected once. Everything has been fine from day one. Have my Dongle plugged into the front USB port of my PS5.
As much as I sympathise and Acknowledge the people having issues, I couldn’t be happier with these. The sound quality is superb both on the PS5 on FPS games and connected to devices to listen to music via Bluetooth.

yeah - Mine stay connected with plugged into back port of my PS5, and easily stay connected 5m away. They only drop out just as I move from hallway and into the kitchen. (Victorian terrace so imagine the PS5 near the bay at front of the house beside the chimney breast and kitchen out back via the hallway which also as a kink in it.)

So while it drops out sooner than say a 2.4 MHz wifi router might be expected, given there's no real antenna on these things and given usage I think it's fine.

I also don't understand the feedback of the person above saying that they cannot hear anything or directionality. These things, at least to my ears, excel for directionality.

On the topic of mircrophone quality I find that once the position is dialled in, the mic quality is fine. An easy 2x improvement on the mic built into my Creative as a comparison, which as someone once said to me, sounded like I was calling from inside a tin-box. No such complaints on the Audeze.

My only complaint remaining is auto poweroff disconnects when using as a headset for office/skype duties. The timeout if connected over BT but no audio is around 30 minutes and gaps between skype-calls of over 30 mins do happen. This timeout issue is compounded because when reconnecting back to BT the Windows config for the headset defaults to the microphone as muted (even though not muted by the hardware switch).
My Creative Aurava Trio Wireless do not do this and will happily stay connected indefinitely until they finally power off when the battery is finally flat - and I would like similar behaviour on the Audeze Penrose or at least for the timeout to be adjustable.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,545 of 7,191
I received the penroses (not X) today and am using them on Windows 10. As soon as I connected on TeamSpeak all my friends immediately said "What happened to your microphone?", in fact the quality of this is not absolutely satisfactory, the sound is "muffled" and my voice is not crystal clear. The headset microphone in the Galaxy S20+ package is a professional microphone in comparison ... I really don't know how to solve this problem

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,546 of 7,191
I received the penroses (not X) today and am using them on Windows 10. As soon as I connected on TeamSpeak all my friends immediately said "What happened to your microphone?", in fact the quality of this is not absolutely satisfactory, the sound is "muffled" and my voice is not crystal clear. The headset microphone in the Galaxy S20+ package is a professional microphone in comparison ... I really don't know how to solve this problem
Did you upgrade the firmware, this was fixed

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #3,547 of 7,191
Spatially they’re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I can’t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. It’s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and it’s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Odd, my only complaint and the ONLY reason why I am trying to make them work is how clear and close they sound. My biggest complaint with the GSP670 is the experience you described. Have you adjusted the setting in the spatial options on the PS5?

As for disconnects... I haven't experienced that on the PS5, but it is right next to me and I use the USB port on the front. Ironically enough, on my PC, it has disconnected on and off. I am also getting that whooshing sound when it's quiet. I've upgraded the firmware too.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #3,549 of 7,191
yes I've updated the FW but maybe the update failed despite the audeze hq app telling me that the version is 0.5.1...how can I force the update again?

The mic is very particular. Make sure it's facing the right way straight on dp your not speaking at it sideways. Play with the distance from your mouth
Quite a few pages ago someone played with some of this stuff and it made a huge difference.

Also if TeamSpeak has any post processing it may screw with your quality like discord

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #3,550 of 7,191
The mic is very particular. Make sure it's facing the right way straight on dp your not speaking at it sideways. Play with the distance from your mouth
Quite a few pages ago someone played with some of this stuff and it made a huge difference.

Also if TeamSpeak has any post processing it may screw with your quality like discord

I tried to move it away and closer to the mouth but not much has changed... I think I will opt for the return of the headset, I really dont like the microphone, the voice is extremely muffled, I preferred the mobius mic, at least the voice was clear... if I have to use wired headset in order to obtain a good mic quality i should go for mobius insted of Penrose....for me thumb down for Audeze

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,551 of 7,191
I tried to move it away and closer to the mouth but not much has changed... I think I will opt for the return of the headset, I really dont like the microphone, the voice is extremely muffled, I preferred the mobius mic, at least the voice was clear... if I have to use wired headset in order to obtain a good mic quality i should go for mobius insted of Penrose....for me thumb down for Audeze
Make sure the mic is facing the correct side. There is no way to visually see the mic side is towards your mouth, try rotating it over

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,552 of 7,191
So I just picked up my arctis 7p........ How can a headset half the price feel superior to these in comfort and quality. They literally feel like a dream on your head. Comfort Penrose 1/10, comfort Arctis 7p 9/10. They are charging and will test them out later tonight. The USB dongle on the arctis is also 1/4 the size of the Penrose.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #3,553 of 7,191
Quick Penrose X impressions on Xbox series X

They sound incredible. Coming from the Arctis 9x it is night and day. Impactful and detailed. Just great.

For me the fit is... fine. Arctis is better, but think I can live with it (and I have a pretty big head). Find having the headband a little forward on my head feels better.

My xbox is right next to my router and the Arctis 9x had horrible connection issues. Putting the Penrose dongle in the back of the xbox, had a couple little pops and “connected” messages. But it was much better than my arctis issues. Grabbed a USB extension cable I had laying around and ran the dongle to the other side of the tv and so far so good. Need to use it more to confirm the issue is totally gone.

So far I’m happy. Selling my arctis 9x. It’s such an upgrade in the sound department I could never go back. Also really love how the dongle on the penrose X has the “pc” switch. Can pretty much use it on anything. Hooked it up to my macbook pro and listened to some Qobuz. Sounded great.

Agree the the volume knob needs to be more granular. Glad they are going to fix it in a firmware update. Wish I could set the mic gain to auto and just have the mic gain wheel do game / voice balance. Can’t think of a situation where I want to manually adjust the mic gain.

Have you had an issues with the mic? I was getting a lot of popping sounds when testing the mic yesterday.

Also do you know if you have your Xbox set to Instant On or Energy Saving for startup? I noticed that the popping I was experiencing was directly related to using my Xbox in Instant On mode. A full restart or cold boot seemed to fix the issue.

Also I completely agree about the mic gain/mic chat mix. I wish this was flipped.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,554 of 7,191
So I spent some time with the Penrose X last night. Here is the experience after approximately 8 hours of continued use from a full charge.

Xbox Series X, dongle plugged into the front USB port on Xbox. I sit about 6 feet from my TV/Xbox when gaming. Using wireless + bluetooth.

Once I got the mic issues sorted and didn't have any more popping sounds when testing the mic(I've made a few replies to this issue) I joined a party chat. Had a friend help me set the mic gain and game chat. Hopefully this will be able to be done on the fly in the Android app since there is no way to tell what its set to by adjusting the wheel on the headset.

Gamed a little over 5 hours running continuous wireless + bluetooth. The use of bluetooth in this scenario is mainly for notifications from an Android phone. Connection wise everything was solid. I had zero drops in the 5 hours of gaming sitting directly in front of the TV/Xbox. The only drops I would experience in this time was if I would go into another room. I will say range is not great compared to other wireless headsets I've used on Xbox(Turtle Beach Steath 420, Plantronics Rig 800XL).

After gaming I switched to bluetooth only and listened to music for about an hour on an Android phone. Everything here was solid. My phone was with me the whole time so I'd expect no issues.

After an hour of using bluetooth only on my phone I switched the headset to the bluetooth connection on a Samsung TV and continued to listen to music through YouTube and Spotify. Bluetooth connection was fairly solid. Would drop a bit when going to the other side of the house. I also experienced an issue after I lost bluetooth connection that the headset would no longer work. I had to reset the headset and reconnect to the bluetooth on the Samsung TV.

After about 8 hours of continuous use, 5 hours wireless + bluetooth, the another 3 just bluetooth I got a low battery notification. I don't recall a notification for battery medium but I might have missed it. Battery level is a much needed feature in the app. At this point the bluetooth connection got significantly worse and I decided to call it a night.

I will say that these headphones sound really good for the price point and was very satisfied with the 3 hours of listening to music last night. Will have to do some more testing in single player game experiences.

As for the fit and comfort I didn't experience any issues last night in 8 hours. The are a little tight but hopefully they will strech out a bit over time.

I will say as some other user has suggested I wish the mic gain/game chat mix wheel button was flipped.

Hopefully Audeze can continue to work on the connection issues and other tweaks in future firmware updates.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,555 of 7,191
So I just picked up my arctis 7p........ How can a headset half the price feel superior to these in comfort and quality. They literally feel like a dream on your head. Comfort Penrose 1/10, comfort Arctis 7p 9/10. They are charging and will test them out later tonight. The USB dongle on the arctis is also 1/4 the size of the Penrose.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the 7P. I've used mine off and on with the PS5 for the last week, and have been underwhelmed by the 3D audio performance. Astro's Playroom is pretty good but in Fortnite, sounds that are nearby seem much, much farther away (even reloading your weapon or opening a door).

Three separate occasions I was shot from behind by someone who I either didn't hear at all or sounded 50 yards away. It was bad enough that I ended up going back to playing with Sony MDR-7506's plugged into the Dualsense. They don't sound as "fun" as the 7P, and they're definitely not as comfortable, but spatially they are far more accurate. On my PS4 Pro I had been using a Gen 1 A50/Mixamp, so that's my frame of reference for gaming.

My 7P will be returned. I pre-ordered some pc38x's from the next Drop after much thread lurking & debate. Penrose are very tempting as well, so I'd love to hear from those who have tried both the pc38x and Penrose, especially if it was on PS5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back