Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #3,528 of 7,191
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already canā€™t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad. Music sounds nice but gameplay is horrible. Everything sounds so distant, like thereā€™s a barrier between my ears and what Iā€™m supposed to be hearing. There is no depth or richness to the sound. Everything sounds like itā€™s 10 feet away, not right over my ears.

Spatially theyā€™re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I canā€™t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. Itā€™s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and itā€™s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesnā€™t work. When I hold it down and adjust the wheel, my game/chat balance doesnā€™t change. I even tried adjusting it in the computer program and it did nothing on the headset. My teammates chat was way louder than my game volume and I had no way of fixing it using the headset. I had to do it through the party chat options on PS5. Not ideal.

Iā€™m coming from Astro A40s and Iā€™m switching back immediately. Itā€™s pretty sad when my Gen 1 Astro A40s from 2011 sound way better on my PS5 (which theyā€™re not evenly designed for) than a brand new headset marketed specifically for PS5.

I wanted to love these things so bad, but I just canā€™t get past the terrible audio. To be fair it might also be an issue with PS5 audio in general as I did notice my A40s donā€™t sound as great on my PS5 as on PS4, but thatā€™s likely because theyā€™re only plugged into the controller rather than into a Mixamp thatā€™s plugged via optical cable into my PS4.

At this point Iā€™m just waiting for Astro to develop a new headset designed for PS5. Until then, my old A40s will do just fine.

Try turning the PS5ā€™s tempest audio off.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #3,530 of 7,191
Quick Penrose X impressions on Xbox series X

They sound incredible. Coming from the Arctis 9x it is night and day. Impactful and detailed. Just great.

For me the fit is... fine. Arctis is better, but think I can live with it (and I have a pretty big head). Find having the headband a little forward on my head feels better.

My xbox is right next to my router and the Arctis 9x had horrible connection issues. Putting the Penrose dongle in the back of the xbox, had a couple little pops and ā€œconnectedā€ messages. But it was much better than my arctis issues. Grabbed a USB extension cable I had laying around and ran the dongle to the other side of the tv and so far so good. Need to use it more to confirm the issue is totally gone.

So far Iā€™m happy. Selling my arctis 9x. Itā€™s such an upgrade in the sound department I could never go back. Also really love how the dongle on the penrose X has the ā€œpcā€ switch. Can pretty much use it on anything. Hooked it up to my macbook pro and listened to some Qobuz. Sounded great.

Agree that the volume knob needs to be more granular. Glad they are going to fix it in a firmware update. Wish I could set the mic gain to auto and just have the mic gain wheel do game / voice balance. Canā€™t think of a situation where I want to manually adjust the mic gain.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #3,531 of 7,191
But you can't use the chat mix as a reason for returning unique to Penrose surely

Nope Iā€™m returning because audio sounds like crap and Iā€™d rather get my $250 back and use my old Astros that sound better. I do agree that turning off 3D audio sounds better, however it dramatically reduces spatial awareness. Itā€™s very left and right whereā€™s itā€™s a little more round (3D) with 3D on obviously

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #3,534 of 7,191
Nope Iā€™m returning because audio sounds like crap and Iā€™d rather get my $250 back and use my old Astros that sound better. I do agree that turning off 3D audio sounds better, however it dramatically reduces spatial awareness. Itā€™s very left and right whereā€™s itā€™s a little more round (3D) with 3D on obviously
Iā€™m going to go out in a limb and suggest the 3D audio/tempest engine does nothing for older games that havenā€™t been programmed for it.

The wording of Sonyā€™s press release suggests not even some PS5 games will utilise it so I honestly donā€™t think it works as universally as Windows Sonic for example on Xbox.

Personally, I just think any perceived 3D effect on older titles is placebo. New releases programmed for it are a different matter though.

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #3,535 of 7,191
Iā€™m going to go out in a limb and suggest the 3D audio/tempest engine does nothing for older games that havenā€™t been programmed for it.

The wording of Sonyā€™s press release suggests not even some PS5 games will utilise it so I honestly donā€™t think it works as universally as Windows Sonic for example on Xbox.

Personally, I just think any perceived 3D effect on older titles is placebo. New releases programmed for it are a different matter though.

Ya if you google Warzone and tempest audio a lot of people are having issues. That being said, using Penrose X on a series X with Atmos for headphones and sounds great.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,537 of 7,191
I was using my old headset on the PS5 before the Penrose arrived, but because thereā€™s no optical on the PS5 it doesnā€™t work as it did on the PS4 and I kept getting intermittent ā€œclickingā€ when I used party chat, or can sometimes hear the same, but faint static click as audio starts playing (clicking between YouTube videos for example) just not as loud.

Unfortunately this continued when I started using the Penrose.

No issues using the same devices on PS4.

Any ideas?

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,538 of 7,191
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already canā€™t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad. Music sounds nice but gameplay is horrible. Everything sounds so distant, like thereā€™s a barrier between my ears and what Iā€™m supposed to be hearing. There is no depth or richness to the sound. Everything sounds like itā€™s 10 feet away, not right over my ears.

Spatially theyā€™re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I canā€™t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. Itā€™s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and itā€™s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesnā€™t work. When I hold it down and adjust the wheel, my game/chat balance doesnā€™t change. I even tried adjusting it in the computer program and it did nothing on the headset. My teammates chat was way louder than my game volume and I had no way of fixing it using the headset. I had to do it through the party chat options on PS5. Not ideal.

Iā€™m coming from Astro A40s and Iā€™m switching back immediately. Itā€™s pretty sad when my Gen 1 Astro A40s from 2011 sound way better on my PS5 (which theyā€™re not evenly designed for) than a brand new headset marketed specifically for PS5.

I wanted to love these things so bad, but I just canā€™t get past the terrible audio. To be fair it might also be an issue with PS5 audio in general as I did notice my A40s donā€™t sound as great on my PS5 as on PS4, but thatā€™s likely because theyā€™re only plugged into the controller rather than into a Mixamp thatā€™s plugged via optical cable into my PS4.

At this point Iā€™m just waiting for Astro to develop a new headset designed for PS5. Until then, my old A40s will do just fine.
Try to change audio output to linear pcm. It sounded way better to me and was easier to distinguish footsteps. I agree the mixamp plus any headphone blows these away.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,539 of 7,191
Just as a sanity check...everyone just plugs their usb dongle into your PC and it automatically showed up right? Also, does the light on your dongle blink or just stay solid? Mine seems to
be stuck on solid.

Iā€™m asking this because I am 98% certain my dongle is DOA. Iā€™ve tried multiple computers, flipping the Pc/Xbox switch, re-pairing the dongle and headphones (the lady actually says connected in my ears), and I have even tried resetting the dongle multiple times per the manual instructions. Nothing works. I canā€™t find any evidence any of my 3 machines recognize the usb drive on any windows or Mac settings (sound, devices, etc). I even downloaded AudezeHQ and it canā€™t find my headphones either.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #3,540 of 7,191
I apologize in advance for the beginner question. I just got my Penrose X- and I love it. Iā€™ve got a big head (wear a 7 3/4-8 hat) and I havenā€™t had any issues with comfort. Sound on series X is great, I use primarily for Warzone and can hear a few things my Rig 600 didnā€™t allow me to hear. In warzone at least itā€™s not a HUGE sound difference.
When I first set up my heat set, it seems everything must be controlled on the headset and due to the nature of Xbox canā€™t be controlled in the audio menu.
Game volume works fine, but WHAT does the microphone gain wheel do? Iā€™ve put it all the way down, and all the way up. My mic level in audio Xbox settings stays the same, and my party says itā€™s the same sound. They said I sound good, but everyone said Iā€™m a little quiet compared to last mic.
Sorry in advance if thatā€™s a noob question, Iā€™m not sure if gain adjusts the sensitivity of mic, or volume of mjc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back