Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #3,511 of 7,191
Are this headset good for distinguish footstep locations? I’ve had Astro a50 gen 2 for years and I can hear every sound locations with ease. Are the Penrose better or worse at this?
Yes, but not worth the money. They sound really good and I wish I could keep them, but they are probably the most uncomfortable headset I had ever worn. The padding is nonexistant, and these honestly feel like a piece of Chinese junk when they are on. The earpads are flattened with the clamp, and after a an hour or two, the top headband pad flattens and then the plastic headband contacts your head. This is why people are getting sore spots on the top of their head. I read reviews on the mobius and same exact comfort complaints were made yet audeze didn't address them. Its really nice to have planar tech, but not at the expense to use cheap material. I have worn the A50's and they will feel like the most luxurious headset compared to these but these have an edge in sounds. But when you balance all categories, A50's win hands down easily. Penrose sound 9/10 comfort 1/10 avg score 5/10. A50 sound 7/10 comfort 8/10 avg score 7.5/10

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #3,512 of 7,191
I have a preorder of Penrose X since the 23d of July, but one thing mainly making me thinking of canceling. It is the separate wheel gor mic volume, I dont see the need to change it all the time and I know I will change it by misstake and will have to try to find the correct level again. What I do change often is the level of the ones I am chatting with compared to the game audio. (I am on Xbox)

Could it done to be able to switch the mic volume and game mix. So that chat mix is changed with that wheel and you need to press it and scroll for changing the mic. It would be nice to be able in the app/software have the option to toggle this.

Yeah switching the mic volume wheel on the headset to chat mix control is a great idea! It’s one of my biggest complaints @Audeze that in game chat increases with master volume. You should be able to control this level on the headset and not need to go into the app.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #3,513 of 7,191
Man I've been using Penrose every night since I received them and I'm about to give up. Today I played for 2 hours and got over a dozen disconnects and probably 3-4 dozen dropouts or static which completely took me out of the game. I switched to Arctis 7p for now, sigh. I hope we hear any information from Audeze soon on whether they will improve stability/connection soon.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #3,515 of 7,191
On a side note. Does anyone know why Audeze went with these proprietary ear cups with the pads attached already? It makes finding alternatives impossible (almost) which makes the lack of comfort an even bigger issue. Are there any alternatives besides dekoni?

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #3,516 of 7,191
Kind of disappointed but not surprised. have them on a pillow stretching, but if these don’t loosen up then everything else is irrelevant to me. Best sound in the world won’t mean a thing if I can’t wear them for more than 15 minutes without getting a headache and sore jaw.

The problem I have found is that if you don't keep them stretched out, it will eventually go back to the original shape and feel uncomfortable again. So you either need to wear them every day and possibly stretch it back after a week.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #3,517 of 7,191
I just stretched mine out since they are flexible like the Mobius when first advertised. The gel pads (which are discontinued) have worked quite well in retaining the shape around ear and thus has helped with the comfort issue. Sadly, I cannot find any third party gel pads anywhere...

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #3,518 of 7,191
Man I've been using Penrose every night since I received them and I'm about to give up. Today I played for 2 hours and got over a dozen disconnects and probably 3-4 dozen dropouts or static which completely took me out of the game. I switched to Arctis 7p for now, sigh. I hope we hear any information from Audeze soon on whether they will improve stability/connection soon.

Where's your dongle plugged in?

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,519 of 7,191

I've noticed quite a few interesting "features", but haven't suffered a single disconnect. When it disconnects, does it also drop the USB dongle from device manager? Curious whether it's the PC dropping the USB dongle or the dongle dropping the headset?

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #3,520 of 7,191
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already can’t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad. Music sounds nice but gameplay is horrible. Everything sounds so distant, like there’s a barrier between my ears and what I’m supposed to be hearing. There is no depth or richness to the sound. Everything sounds like it’s 10 feet away, not right over my ears.

Spatially they’re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I can’t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. It’s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and it’s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesn’t work. When I hold it down and adjust the wheel, my game/chat balance doesn’t change. I even tried adjusting it in the computer program and it did nothing on the headset. My teammates chat was way louder than my game volume and I had no way of fixing it using the headset. I had to do it through the party chat options on PS5. Not ideal.

I’m coming from Astro A40s and I’m switching back immediately. It’s pretty sad when my Gen 1 Astro A40s from 2011 sound way better on my PS5 (which they’re not evenly designed for) than a brand new headset marketed specifically for PS5.

I wanted to love these things so bad, but I just can’t get past the terrible audio. To be fair it might also be an issue with PS5 audio in general as I did notice my A40s don’t sound as great on my PS5 as on PS4, but that’s likely because they’re only plugged into the controller rather than into a Mixamp that’s plugged via optical cable into my PS4.

At this point I’m just waiting for Astro to develop a new headset designed for PS5. Until then, my old A40s will do just fine.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #3,521 of 7,191
There’s certainly something odd going on. Mine have been faultless. Not disconnected once. Everything has been fine from day one. Have my Dongle plugged into the front USB port of my PS5.
As much as I sympathise and Acknowledge the people having issues, I couldn’t be happier with these. The sound quality is superb both on the PS5 on FPS games and connected to devices to listen to music via Bluetooth.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3,522 of 7,191
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already can’t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad. Music sounds nice but gameplay is horrible. Everything sounds so distant, like there’s a barrier between my ears and what I’m supposed to be hearing. There is no depth or richness to the sound. Everything sounds like it’s 10 feet away, not right over my ears.

Spatially they’re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I can’t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. It’s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and it’s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesn’t work. When I hold it down and adjust the wheel, my game/chat balance doesn’t change. I even tried adjusting it in the computer program and it did nothing on the headset. My teammates chat was way louder than my game volume and I had no way of fixing it using the headset. I had to do it through the party chat options on PS5. Not ideal.

I’m coming from Astro A40s and I’m switching back immediately. It’s pretty sad when my Gen 1 Astro A40s from 2011 sound way better on my PS5 (which they’re not evenly designed for) than a brand new headset marketed specifically for PS5.

I wanted to love these things so bad, but I just can’t get past the terrible audio. To be fair it might also be an issue with PS5 audio in general as I did notice my A40s don’t sound as great on my PS5 as on PS4, but that’s likely because they’re only plugged into the controller rather than into a Mixamp that’s plugged via optical cable into my PS4.

At this point I’m just waiting for Astro to develop a new headset designed for PS5. Until then, my old A40s will do just fine.

Game/Chat balance isn’t supported on the PS version - it’s Xbox only. That’s a Sony restriction in the main as now the optical port has been removed on the PS5 it’s seems only the official headset has the feature.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #3,525 of 7,191
Another reason these are going back.

If it helps, Warzone audio on Penrose PS5 is horrendous.

But you can't use the chat mix as a reason for returning unique to Penrose surely - when all new wireless headsets will have the same feature omission? Chat balance was not available when these were made available for purchase so its not like its a feature that's been taken away after you made your buying decision?

Agree with you on the Warzone audio though - although, as a test, try turning off the 3d audio in the PS5 UI - I think it sounds much better without this on, on this game and think some titles' own audio engines doesn't play nice with this setting. Warzone sounds clearer and more defined with 3d audio turned off and may help your issue? Personally I'm only turning 3d audio on for those new titles programmed for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back