Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #3,483 of 7,191
My X is out for delivery today. I think I read they would all have this latest firmware update, but can anyone confirm for me? I don’t have a PC or android device in my home, so I’d like to save a trip into the office to check if the firmware is the newest build. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,484 of 7,191
Ok so with the USB cable connected the Mute works, but on wireless it doesn't do anything.
Another feature after all? Running 0.1.5 firmware.

Also experiencing the headset as clamping too tight and causing a slight headache and tired sensation in the ears after a while. This may get better with time though, I suppose.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,485 of 7,191
Does anyone else have a weird sound coming from the left headphone? It's like a quiet fluctuating noise of wind whistling through a window(e.g. ). I'm on the latest firmware, my sidetone is off, the mic is unplugged, and it happens with all types of connections, and even when headphones are not connected to anything. Volume has no effect on it and it can be heard on top of any audio. The right side is dead silent, only the left one has this issue. Sometimes this noise goes away but it's present ~25-40% of the time.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #3,486 of 7,191
Ok so with the USB cable connected the Mute works, but on wireless it doesn't do anything.
Another feature after all? Running 0.1.5 firmware.

Also experiencing the headset as clamping too tight and causing a slight headache and tired sensation in the ears after a while. This may get better with time though, I suppose.
Yes, the clamp and non exist padding is what may cause me to throw in the towel. No audio issues, no disconnects etc. Just comfort issues. Trying to stretch these things all night. Will try this for one week straight, 16+ hours a day.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_092353_01.jpg
    IMG_20201219_092353_01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #3,487 of 7,191
Does anyone else have a weird sound coming from the left headphone? It's like a quiet fluctuating noise of wind whistling through a window(e.g. ). I'm on the latest firmware, my sidetone is off, the mic is unplugged, and it happens with all types of connections, and even when headphones are not connected to anything. Volume has no effect on it and it can be heard on top of any audio. The right side is dead silent, only the left one has this issue. Sometimes this noise goes away but it's present most of the time.

Yeah I have the same. It's not always there but appears from time to time. Even if the headset is not connected to anything this would pop up sometimes. It's not present most of the time however for me.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #3,489 of 7,191
I stretched the penrose out on a pillow, I added the dekoni pillows to the top. It feels like it is hit or miss, depending on the day and how sensitive my head feels. Last night, I couldn't even wear them for more than 15mins before I started to get a small head ache. I love the sound, but I am finding that I may end up compromising on it for comfort. The Sennheiser GSP 670 is where I may end up going. =(

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,490 of 7,191
Does anyone else have a weird sound coming from the left headphone? It's like a quiet fluctuating noise of wind whistling through a window(e.g. ). I'm on the latest firmware, my sidetone is off, the mic is unplugged, and it happens with all types of connections, and even when headphones are not connected to anything. Volume has no effect on it and it can be heard on top of any audio. The right side is dead silent, only the left one has this issue. Sometimes this noise goes away but it's present ~25-40% of the time.

Hello Evil crab

I get that, bit not that loud, lol. Barely audible for me.

My thoughts on this? ...

It sounds to me like a heavily damped-down version of that noise you used to get from putting your mobile phone too close to a portable radio/loudspeaker.

So I'm wondering if picking up from other audio devices maybe, or perhaps some feedback from itself scanning for Bluetooth or wireless (whichever is not connected)

Only audible (to me) when nothing else playing, even if that something else playing is very quiet disappears entirely. Going to try a wave generator to see if 5 Hz signal gives headphones something else to focus on.

Cheers
Chris

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,491 of 7,191
Hello Evil crab

I get that, bit not that loud, lol. Barely audible for me.

My thoughts on this? ...

It sounds to me like a heavily damped-down version of that noise you used to get from putting your mobile phone too close to a portable radio/loudspeaker.

So I'm wondering if picking up from other audio devices maybe, or perhaps some feedback from itself scanning for Bluetooth or wireless (whichever is not connected)

Only audible (to me) when nothing else playing, even if that something else playing is very quiet disappears entirely. Going to try a wave generator to see if 5 Hz signal gives headphones something else to focus on.

Cheers
Chris

It's not very loud for me either, but it's definitely audible over the ambient noises and music in games. Initially, I thought that it's some in game sound in Cyberpunk 2077, before I heard the same noise when my PC was off. Wireless interference is a good theory, though it never happened to my other wireless headphones. Maybe Penrose is more sensitive to this or it's indeed some internal feedback. I'll check tomorrow if that happens in my basement without all the wireless tech I have in my apartment.

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,492 of 7,191
I stretched the penrose out on a pillow, I added the dekoni pillows to the top. It feels like it is hit or miss, depending on the day and how sensitive my head feels. Last night, I couldn't even wear them for more than 15mins before I started to get a small head ache. I love the sound, but I am finding that I may end up compromising on it for comfort. The Sennheiser GSP 670 is where I may end up going. =(
Maybe try stretching them wider? I have mine stretching wide as the clamp is immense. What's more concerning is why is the padding on the pads so weak. I have never owned headphones, be it a 10 dollar pair or 700 dollar pair have such nonexistant padding. To me they almost feel like the 5 dollar store Chinese headphones you buy at like Five Below. The Sennheiser Game One headphones feel like the luxury brand while but sound worse while these sound better but just feel low quality.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3,493 of 7,191
It's interesting seeing all the messages from people having issues with comfort. I wear a 7 3/4 hat size, but have had serveral 6-hour sessions with the Penrose so far without any real discomfort. I'm wondering if there are wide enough manufacturing fluctuations to account for this, or if something about the design of the Penrose is aggravating to certain head *shapes*.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,494 of 7,191
It's interesting seeing all the messages from people having issues with comfort. I wear a 7 3/4 hat size, but have had serveral 6-hour sessions with the Penrose so far without any real discomfort. I'm wondering if there are wide enough manufacturing fluctuations to account for this, or if something about the design of the Penrose is aggravating to certain head *shapes*.
Not sure, I have a round head at 7 3/4. I am in shape, 6'6 230lbs so I have larger ears too. Medium length hair. My issue is the clamp and the quality of the pads. I'm not sure why the Sennheiser at half the price feel like a dream compared to these.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,495 of 7,191
Got my X today. Tried to put them on and the clamp force is insane (7 3/4 size head). I don’t think the ear pads are poor quality though the head band pad is poor. The clamp just compresses the ear pads a lot which makes them feel firm.

Even my wife who is much smaller than me tried them on and her first words unprompted were “these are super tight”.

Kind of disappointed but not surprised. have them on a pillow stretching, but if these don’t loosen up then everything else is irrelevant to me. Best sound in the world won’t mean a thing if I can’t wear them for more than 15 minutes without getting a headache and sore jaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back