Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #3,331 of 7,191
Oh, so you weren't connected to PC 2.4ghz and phone bluetooth.That's where the issue happens from what I've read. Also the reason I'm considering canceling my 6 month old preorder... that's the main feature I care about and it's front and center on their advertised features.

I use mine for PC 2.4 ghz and Bluetooth to my PC for work calls. If I have the PC sound output set to BT and the Zoom app set to BT I get the 90/10. If I have Zoom set to BT and the PC output set to Penrose 2.4 ghz wireless then I don't have this issue at all and can successfully listen to music / the call at the same time with no issues.

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #3,332 of 7,191
I've found the wireless connection to be pretty stable and remained connected even as far as the hallway while wondering into kitchen to top-up a drink. (where it then disconnected). But it then reconnected when I got back into range, although because I've not set PS5 to autoswitch audio sources I then needed to reselect. However, that should be easily changed.

I have had some situations where headphones just "power-off". if they lose BT connection with a device connected / active via headset mode. That then seemed to cause an actual power-off - . I've not quite pinned it down but it seems to be replicated if I force a switch between headset and regular BT mode on my PC while handshake to headset mode is fully active. e.g. play a test-tune over headset and then in sounds control panel "disconnect" the headset. The headphones will then simply power off.

I wonder if THAT is the actual cause of perceived range issues. Are the people having issues doing simultaneous BT and wireless headset and could it be the BT that is actually cutting out?

I've also had the power off issue twice. Both times it happened when I tried to change through the sources quickly. Ex: I'm listening to bluetooth and hit the button to switch to wireless but I pressed it too fast? and it switches in the midst of saying connected and the headset seems to freak out and just power off.

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #3,333 of 7,191
Update after a good amount of use:-

I really like these- great sound quality, no loss of connection and the notification voice is perfect after the update. If I had to pick fault then it would be comfort but only after gaming sessions over 4 hours. I had a 6 hour session last night and one of my ears felt like It had been twatted by a tennis racket. The four hour sessions are fine for me.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #3,337 of 7,191
Hello all,

I received the Penrose last week (still waiting for the Penrose X as well.) I noticed there was some occasional crackling while using the headset. I have it plugged into one of the rear USB ports my PlayStation 5, and I updated the headset firmware the day I received it. Can someone guide me with how to correct this, please? The crackling can get pretty annoying at times. I’m not sure if it’s the PlayStation itself, or if there’s some type of interference going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #3,338 of 7,191
Hello all,

I received the Penrose last week (still waiting for the Penrose X as well.) I noticed there was some occasional crackling while using the headset. I have it plugged into one of the rear USB ports my PlayStation 5, and I updated the headset firmware the day I received it. Can someone guide me with how to correct this, please? The crackling can get pretty annoying at times. I’m not sure if it’s the PlayStation itself, or if there’s some type of interference going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
There's no resolution yet. The crackling is most likely caused by wireless interference, and this is very YMMV. I have a smart home so I get a lot of crackling and dropouts as well (which I don't experience with other 2.4ghz wireless headsets such as Pulse 3D and Arctis 7p). However, Audeze has assured me that their engineers are looking into this issue as we speak in order to determine if there is a better way of improving wireless stability without sacrificing too much latency.

You can try a couple things to help, such as using USB extension cables or using the front vs rear USB ports. I also tried restarting my mesh wifi network after connecting the Penrose in hopes that it would automatically select a different wifi channel from the Penrose. More tips here: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050582971-Troubleshooting-wireless-stability-issues

Personally, I've tried USB hub, 2.0 and 3.0 USB extenders, but have actually settled with just plugging it into the front USB port. I haven't had as many issues lately, though I still do get the occasional crackle. Wireless range is still poor compared to competitors, but I have faith in the Audeze engineers looking into this; their turnaround on the first firmware update to address the "woosh" noise and mic quality was incredibly fast.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #3,339 of 7,191
There's no resolution yet. The crackling is most likely caused by wireless interference, and this is very YMMV. I have a smart home so I get a lot of crackling and dropouts as well (which I don't experience with other 2.4ghz wireless headsets such as Pulse 3D and Arctis 7p). However, Audeze has assured me that their engineers are looking into this issue as we speak in order to determine if there is a better way of improving wireless stability without sacrificing too much latency.

You can try a couple things to help, such as using USB extension cables or using the front vs rear USB ports. I also tried restarting my mesh wifi network after connecting the Penrose in hopes that it would automatically select a different wifi channel from the Penrose. More tips here: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050582971-Troubleshooting-wireless-stability-issues

Personally, I've tried USB hub, 2.0 and 3.0 USB extenders, but have actually settled with just plugging it into the front USB port. I haven't had as many issues lately, though I still do get the occasional crackle. Wireless range is still poor compared to competitors, but I have faith in the Audeze engineers looking into this; their turnaround on the first firmware update to address the "woosh" noise and mic quality was incredibly fast.

Thanks for the tips; good to know that it's not an isolated issue on my end (though it sucks overall.) I'll try moving it to the front and some of the other tips you gave me. I hope they get this situated soon. Much appreciated for the thorough response; thank you so much. Cheers

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,340 of 7,191
Just bought the Penrose and it should be here on Friday. I also purchased the Arctis 7p today and I pick it up on Monday. I currently use the Sennheiser Game One and a mixamp. I primarily play Call of Duty Multiplayer and only game competitively for SnD. So footsteps and positional accuracy are huge for me. I will put up my thoughts on the Penrose vs the 7p vs the Sennheiser either here or somewhere more relevant. Hoping the Penrose are my answer.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,341 of 7,191
Just bought the Penrose and it should be here on Friday. I also purchased the Arctis 7p today and I pick it up on Monday. I currently use the Sennheiser Game One and a mixamp. I primarily play Call of Duty Multiplayer and only game competitively for SnD. So footsteps and positional accuracy are huge for me. I will put up my thoughts on the Penrose vs the 7p vs the Sennheiser either here or somewhere more relevant. Hoping the Penrose are my answer.

Good to know, keep us posted what else you do have, what you are going to buy and in general what you are doing on a daily basis - this is very important for all of us to know.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #3,342 of 7,191
Good to know, keep us posted what else you do have, what you are going to buy and in general what you are doing on a daily basis - this is very important for all of us to know.
There have been several questions asking for this information here, not all of us are sweaty about high fidelity. Not all of us need to walk around our house wearing headphones. Not all of us need to connect to multiple devices. Not all of us need to know one speaker is 1 db louder than the other.
Some of us just want to spatial resolution and pinpoint accuracy in regards to soundstage and dont care about accuracy. This has not been addressed here. All I see are a lot of people who are casual gamers and people using these for multipurpose. Dziekuje

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3,343 of 7,191
From Audeze’s Twitter if no one saw:

We are once again putting all hands on deck 👴 Marketing, support, and sales will be offline for a while today as the whole company works to pack up and ship #penrose X units. Today's stream will be cancelled as we're prioritizing getting these units out to you.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,344 of 7,191

We are once again putting all hands on deck 👴 Marketing, support, and sales will be offline for a while today as the whole company works to pack up and ship #penrose X units. Today's stream will be cancelled as we're prioritizing getting these units out to you.

Great thanks for the update. My mid July preorder is still unfulfilled.

I'm cool supporting small companies, I've been there myself on crunch time with all hands on deck packing product, but all of these issues do worry me. The 90/10 2.4ghz/bluetooth and the wireless interference issues do give me pause.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,345 of 7,191

So my Penrose kicked the bucket on Monday and I sent an RMA request. The 30 day return period ends on the 18th. I really hope I can get a replacement soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back