Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,136 of 7,191
Now go listen to Diana Krall's Live in Paris album or Yosi's Bubbles song I linked earlier :D
Sounds lovely.
I'm genuinely surprised at how these headphones sound. I did not expect to be surprised after experiencing the HD600.
I don't think these have more detail, but they sound more pleasant for movies and video games.
The sub-bass/bass remind of those Dolby setups in the cinemas. So authoritative.
I might end up tuning the highs up a bit, still haven't decided.

So far, my only complaint it the background hiss I hear, I did not expect that. But I'll get used to it.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #3,137 of 7,191
Sounds lovely.
I'm genuinely surprised at how these headphones sound. I did not expect to be surprised after experiencing the HD600.
I don't think these have more detail, but they sound more pleasant for movies and video games.
The sub-bass/bass remind of those Dolby setups in the cinemas. So authoritative.
I might end up tuning the highs up a bit, still haven't decided.

So far, my only complaint it the background hiss I hear, I did not expect that. But I'll get used to it.

The HD600 and HD650 have just enough mid-bass thump for music listening but overall bass is definitely not its strong point. From a basshead's perspectively, it can be considered anemic. The HD800 is even worse.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,139 of 7,191
Thanks for linking this test! Curious to see how my 7Ps will compare against my Penrose headset.

There are a lot of really cool songs that can be used for headphones testing. My favorite beyond live recordings of vocal ensembles and piano concertos are either Bubbles by Yosi or Time by Pink Floyd. Keep in mind though, the quality of the source file or streaming service can really affect the SQ. The difference between your Penrose and 7P are a lot more pronounced when listening to Tidal vs Apple Music for example.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,140 of 7,191
Other things I've noticed: From my PC, I get about the same range I used to get with my Bluetooth headphones (sony xm2). From my PS5, connected to th front port, I get more, my house is not big enough to disconnect.
They are both close to a router.

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,141 of 7,191
There are a lot of really cool songs that can be used for headphones testing. My favorite beyond live recordings of vocal ensembles and piano concertos are either Bubbles by Yosi or Time by Pink Floyd. Keep in mind though, the quality of the source file or streaming service can really affect the SQ. The difference between your Penrose and 7P are a lot more pronounced when listening to Tidal vs Apple Music for example.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Is tidal the best to test against? I don't have a sub for Tidal but I do for Spotify. I've mostly been testing with Spotify and Youtube.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,142 of 7,191
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Is tidal the best to test against? I don't have a sub for Tidal but I do for Spotify. I've mostly been testing with Spotify and Youtube.
I created a Spotify playlist a while back with some test tracks:

Spotify has a more comprehensive list, though I don't know these songs well enough for personal A/B'ing. You may enjoy one of these more though:

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #3,143 of 7,191

Ideally, what you are listening to is a high quality, well recorded and mastered audio file from the computer. For streaming, Tidal is definitely the best. Spotify, I believe, streams at 320kbps.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3,144 of 7,191
Has anyone used the Penrose for Call of Duty for competitive gameplay? I know a lot will laugh at that, but its what I play. How are the footsteps? Spatial resolution? Not worried about anything other than being able to pinpoint player movement. I will never listen to music through them or watch movies, or talk on the phone, or create videos, or anything else. Just need to be able to hear sounds with accuracy in location

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3,145 of 7,191
@Audeze Regarding yesterday's indication that Penrose X will start shipping out next week and that most orders made by a certain date should be received by Christmas - I've ordered through a local dealer here in Canada and they indicated to me yesterday that they would be getting theirs in January. Is there a backlog of orders such that I'll have to wait a bit longer, or is there a chance they may get their X's earlier than they think? (Not sure when they placed their specific order. I pre-ordered it with them back in September. Absolute Audio/Video by the way).

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #3,146 of 7,191
Has anyone used the Penrose for Call of Duty for competitive gameplay? I know a lot will laugh at that, but its what I play. How are the footsteps? Spatial resolution? Not worried about anything other than being able to pinpoint player movement. I will never listen to music through them or watch movies, or talk on the phone, or create videos, or anything else. Just need to be able to hear sounds with accuracy in location

Second this!

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #3,147 of 7,191
@Audeze Regarding yesterday's indication that Penrose X will start shipping out next week and that most orders made by a certain date should be received by Christmas - I've ordered through a local dealer here in Canada and they indicated to me yesterday that they would be getting theirs in January. Is there a backlog of orders such that I'll have to wait a bit longer, or is there a chance they may get their X's earlier than they think? (Not sure when they placed their specific order. I pre-ordered it with them back in September. Absolute Audio/Video by the way).

Thanks!

Absolute told me they couldn't order until they had a minimum of 4 orders and they had 2. A week ago I ordered 2 from them as my partner wanted one too so they definitely ordered now.

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3,148 of 7,191
Really cool test for the sound quality of these (or any other) Headphones. Passed with flying colours in my opinion...

The last part of this video, the dynamic range test, was quite interesting (a drum beat at constant volume at the same time as a bell ring at decreasing volume). I think the Penrose noise floor is perhaps slightly higher than my Sennheiser 4.50 BTNC.

However, with the Penrose on both bluetooth and the 2.4 Ghz (dongle) wireless connection, when the bell was at its lowest volume, I could hear a very faint whooshing sound in the run-up and decay of the sound, somewhat like a wind gust at a great distance. I think there is still some dialing in to do with the firmware to deal with quiet music and games.

Overall, I'm so pleased with the Penrose overall sound and comfort that for me this is not a show stopper, but I hope that as the company continues to iterate the firmware they can further reduce the noise floor (if that's possible) and tweak so that quiet scenes/music don't have any shwooshiness (for lack of a better description).

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,150 of 7,191
Absolute told me they couldn't order until they had a minimum of 4 orders and they had 2. A week ago I ordered 2 from them as my partner wanted one too so they definitely ordered now.

Thanks for the info. It was yesterday that I last checked in with him and he mentioned that they were expecting them in January (and yes, that he had to accrue a minimum order). I find that a bit disappointing actually, as they'd seemed to indicate initially that an order had been placed for mine back in September when I first contacted them. If they waited until this week to place the order, no wonder there's a delay.

Oh well, it still beats paying the shipping and import fees. The retail price is $395 CDN apparently which is basically less than my now-cancelled direct order with Audeze WITH the preorder discount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back