Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #2,416 of 7,196
Then it's a poor choice of chipset, and something else should have been chosen instead to meet the competition's features. Was there just zero market research going in? The hardware clearly exists to have functional mixing on most platforms and an otherwise functional headset on all platforms.

If it helps Windows 10 can do volume mix as a built-in feature using the Xbox game bar (accessed by Win+G).

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #2,417 of 7,196
I’ve been listening to mine for a few days and loving them overall. The sound is great and I find the fit comfortable. The main issue I’ve had so far has been experiencing a lot of WiFi interference and drop outs. The headset has to reconnect every 20 min or so when sitting about 8 feet away from my PS5.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,418 of 7,196
I’ve been listening to mine for a few days and loving them overall. The sound is great and I find the fit comfortable. The main issue I’ve had so far has been experiencing a lot of WiFi interference and drop outs. The headset has to reconnect every 20 min or so when sitting about 8 feet away from my PS5.

I was having a ton of connection issues with the front USB-A port on my PS5, but switching to the rear port fixed it. I was afraid of the heat generated by the rear USB ports though, so I ultimately ended up buying a small USB-A to USB-C adapter to use the dongle on the front USB-C port.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2,419 of 7,196
I was having a ton of connection issues with the front USB-A port on my PS5, but switching to the rear port fixed it. I was afraid of the heat generated by the rear USB ports though, so I ultimately ended up buying a small USB-A to USB-C adapter to use the dongle on the front USB-C port.
Yeah, I’ve been using the front port, but thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try the back and see if that helps.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,420 of 7,196
If it helps Windows 10 can do volume mix as a built-in feature using the Xbox game bar (accessed by Win+G).
Not really, no. If I'm at the computer I have plenty of ways to adjust relative volume. If I'm around the apartment doing other stuff and want to adjust Discord higher when people are talking and Youtube higher when people are silent I'm reliant on the mixing wheel like the Arctis has. It's annoying that even with a $300 headset I'm going to have to use a different one 60-70% of the time because they couldn't be bothered to match the most basic functionality of their competitors save for on one single platform.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #2,422 of 7,196

I understand the front USB A port on the PS5 is a lower standard/speed than the C port or rear USB A ones so that might explain it.

I’m only using the front USB A port for charging duties. Haven’t got my Penrose yet but have a short USB extension cable which would help move the dongle away from the rear of the console if the heat is a concern.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #2,423 of 7,196
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #2,424 of 7,196
No. We cannot do that. The design depends on the radio chipset that is used. We have a separate USB bridge chip + a separate Radio chip that precludes the possibility of making a very small dongle.

I would be interested in it. Bluetooth is not a requirement, as I would rather just have a dedicated dongle that just auto pairs.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,425 of 7,196

Anyone else having problems with ps5 and the dongle?
I won't buy an adaptor because penrose is for playstation it says, so it better works without cuts

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,426 of 7,196
Anyone else having problems with ps5 and the dongle?
I won't buy an adaptor because penrose is for playstation it says, so it better works without cuts

As another user stated, it’s an issue with that front USB port, not their dongle. The rear ports work fine. Other users on Reddit have reported similar issues with other wireless headset dongles on the front USB port as well.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,427 of 7,196
Then it's a poor choice of chipset, and something else should have been chosen instead to meet the competition's features. Was there just zero market research going in? The hardware clearly exists to have functional mixing on most platforms and an otherwise functional headset on all platforms.
Do you think they chose a chipset that was worse for that particular feature without it being better for anything else? For example, what if this particular chipset is a large part of the reason the Penrose headset sounds so much better than other wireless headsets including the Steelseries?

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #2,428 of 7,196
Those who have the penrose and use it on the ps5 where do yall put the dongle

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #2,429 of 7,196
Do you think they chose a chipset that was worse for that particular feature without it being better for anything else? For example, what if this particular chipset is a large part of the reason the Penrose headset sounds so much better than other wireless headsets including the Steelseries?
I would consider it extraordinarily unlikely that the final reason was anything but cost or complete lack of researching how their competition implemented chatmix solutions. If that chipset really does sound better, and it's already a stretch to say the wireless componet, which by any objective measure should be beyond the limits of human hearing, is the limiting factor in other headsets rather than the obviously lacking drivers, they could still have had it present as two devices and allow universal chatmix by simply doubling up on them in the dongle.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,430 of 7,196
I understand the front USB A port on the PS5 is a lower standard/speed than the C port or rear USB A ones so that might explain it.

I’m only using the front USB A port for charging duties. Haven’t got my Penrose yet but have a short USB extension cable which would help move the dongle away from the rear of the console if the heat is a concern.

I don’t have my Penrose yet (from UK) but I read up on the manual in anticipation for the headphones and it says on therethat Audeze advise using usb 2.0 as 3 can give interference, I wonder if that’s why Ps5 users using the back USB ports have connectivity issues as the back ones are 3.0 and are experiencing better performance when swapping them around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back