Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 29, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,281 of 7,191
"TL;DR: Sound good, comfy enough, good mic, annoying as **** whooshing sound that I have never experienced in any other headphone. If they fix that, these are the best in class wireless headphones."

Whooshing sound, mediocre mic, sound balance issues, clamping, gamer look.... Best in class.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2,285 of 7,191
I’ve given the Penrose another full day of use, and the clamp is still too much for me. After 3 hours of use I have a headache, and past that I’d rate it as actually painful.

I really want to love this headset. It sounds great, my experience with the mic is great, and the dual wireless and connection have both worked flawlessly for me. As far as I can tell, the Penrose is the only set on the market other than the Arctis 9 that provides both simultaneous dual audio and USB based wireless. But the other thing I’m looking for is all day comfort and the Arctis 7P I’m able to try out as a comparison is a night-and-day comfort difference from the Penrose. I’m going to continue to stretch these and try to break them in, but I considered my old Bowers and Wilkins P7 as tight as I could take, and this is significantly tighter.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,286 of 7,191
I’ve given the Penrose another full day of use, and the clamp is still too much for me. After 3 hours of use I have a headache, and past that I’d rate it as actually painful.

I really want to love this headset. It sounds great, my experience with the mic is great, and the dual wireless and connection have both worked flawlessly for me. As far as I can tell, the Penrose is the only set on the market other than the Arctis 9 that provides both simultaneous dual audio and USB based wireless. But the other thing I’m looking for is all day comfort and the Arctis 7P I’m able to try out as a comparison is a night-and-day comfort difference from the Penrose. I’m going to continue to stretch these and try to break them in, but I considered my old Bowers and Wilkins P7 as tight as I could take, and this is significantly tighter.

That is going to be my main problem because I play a lot. Hopefully with my headphone stand it will stretch
Well see....

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #2,287 of 7,191
It's been said various times. USE A PILLOW to loosen the clamp.

I'm off tomorrow so I can take some pictures and what have you.

Yeah when you read this:

Penrose uses our award winning 100 mm Planar drivers. We needed a really good microphone to go with it. So we contacted our friends at Shure, the world most respected microphone brand. Shure’s input was instrumental in helping us create a new standard of voice quality for the Penrose microphone

And then everyone here talking about the rubbish mic.
I don't know
The mic isn't the issue. It's the wireless connection for the mic that is the issue.

You plug in the 3.5mm cable to the Penrose to connect the mic to a wired device, and that mic is absolutely one of the best boom mics available on ANY headset.

So its NOT the mic that's the problem.

You CAN use a wired connection for the mic, and the wireless connection for main audio. Since mic chat isn't a high importance to me in general, I don't mind going wired for the few times I need voice chat. My Schiit Hel is within arm's length, so plugging the cable for the mic output is 100% fine to me, and sounds astronomically better than the wireless connection.

I do hope the mic improvement patch does enough to satisfy everyone else though. The wireless mic connection is DEFINITELY a problem.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,289 of 7,191

I'm off tomorrow so I can take some pictures and what have you.

The mic isn't the issue. It's the wireless connection for the mic that is the issue.

You plug in the 3.5mm cable to the Penrose to connect the mic to a wired device, and that mic is absolutely one of the best boom mics available on ANY headset.

Headphone Stand, Wooden Gaming Headset Showing Display Holder Hanger U Shape Desk Headset Hanger For Home, Office, Study, Shop, or TV set https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J9T9K48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_51eXFb5DRZ787

Would this be better than a pillow to help with the clamp issue? I have one on my desk just wondering whether to use this stand or pillow. There is no chance of damage doing this is there?.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,290 of 7,191
Headphone Stand, Wooden Gaming Headset Showing Display Holder Hanger U Shape Desk Headset Hanger For Home, Office, Study, Shop, or TV set https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J9T9K48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_51eXFb5DRZ787

Would this be better than a pillow to help with the clamp issue? I have one on my desk just wondering whether to use this stand or pillow. There is no chance of damage doing this is there?.
I don't feel the width of that is enough to loosen clamp. You want the cups to separate with some force and distance so the plastic gives in a little.

You can detach the pads beforehand so you don't compress them while leaving the headphone stretched out over a pillow. I'll show the example tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #2,291 of 7,191

I think there are two seperate issues at play, yes the wireless mic sounds slightly worse than wired but I don't think the muffled discord mic complaints are IRT that.
From what I can gather from searching "discord muffled voice" it seems that discord conducts some sort of mic filtering on its end and if your headset also has mic filtering then it will make you sound muffled. It sounds like the software is having some sort of conflict with discord and hopefully there's an easy software fix.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,292 of 7,191
I think there are two seperate issues at play, yes the wireless mic sounds slightly worse than wired but I don't think the muffled discord mic complaints are IRT that.
From what I can gather from searching "discord muffled voice" it seems that discord conducts some sort of mic filtering on its end and if your headset also has mic filtering then it will make you sound muffled. It sounds like the software is having some sort of conflict with discord and hopefully there's an easy software fix.
Discord does do a bunch of things, which people can easily just turn off. I personally turn off all discord filters and instead use Nvidia Broadcast, where it has a noise suppression option which works incredibly well.

I have already posted my comparisons with the Penrose mic wired vs wireless without any filters. It's not like the Penrose mic is incompatible with Discord. People just need to change settings accordingly. Discord does not like the wireless connection one bit.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,293 of 7,191
I've been using a folded pillow since receiving the headset. It is certainly more bearable than day 1, but I would still not call it comfortable, and I personally can't imagine using this for a full day. I may be more sensitive to clamp than others, but it's a serious problem for me on this headset. Sorry to be so negative but the comfort of this headset all around is a problem for me.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,294 of 7,191
Discord has a quite a bit of post-voice processing going on. Have those with issues tried adjusting some of those settings?
mics.PNG

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,295 of 7,191
how much latency is there? I need a solid number and not an assumption solely based on 2.4GHz technology.
Wired is 7ms for example. And probably a stupid question, but can these also be used 'wired'? My Playstation VR and Oculus Quest 2 I plan on getting next year have an audio jack and are not compatible for wireless headphones. Unfortunately my DT770(250ohms) aren't loud enough when connected to the PSVR, that, and the long coiled wire completely gets in the way. The 80ohms i'm assuming would be louder and also have a basic cable instead of coiled, which i could fold to decrease the length.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back