Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,251 of 7,196
We are testing it. One of the first customers who posted about the issue came by Audeze yesterday and had their unit updated/tested.
We will probably test it with a few more people next week before releasing it.
Hopefully soon, its pretty bad when in Discord just hear the wooosh when anyone talks unless i crank the volume to unbearable levels.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,254 of 7,196
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Dekoni pads will replace the blue plate, its only a replacement for the ear pad cup. The Audeze replacement ear pads do come with the coloured plate - I bought the carbon coloured one. Though I don't have a Penrose yet to see how it all looks yet...

I talked about this a few tens of pages back; the Dekoni pads will NOT replace the very, very blue trim. You pull off the existing pads themselves off the mount and then put them on. If you want to change the colors, you have to get the carbon or whatever other color pad replacements from Audeze.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,255 of 7,196
Ah interesting, thanks for the heads up. So to get rid of the color, I'd need to pay $30 for Mobius replacement ear pads and then potentially more for Dekoni pads if they are more comfortable?

That is correct. I am waiting for Audeze to ship me my carbon replacement pads to get rid of these blue ones. The Dekoni ones stick onto the colored mounts via sticky tape. I have emailed them asking how reusable the sticky tape is.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,256 of 7,196
Edit: more addressed in my next post.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #2,257 of 7,196
That is correct. I am waiting for Audeze to ship me my carbon replacement pads to get rid of these blue ones. The Dekoni ones stick onto the colored mounts via sticky tape. I have emailed them asking how reusable the sticky tape is.
Thanks for the info. Are you waiting for the carbon pads before attaching the Dekoni pads to try them out? If so, I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions!

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2,259 of 7,196
Been lurking this thread and just chiming in for clarification - have you tested the Penrose X on the PS4/5 yet and can you confirm it functions when set to the PC/non-Xbox switch toggle? Or are you unable to answer just yet? Thanks!
I already discussed this in the thread. The X works on PS5 when set to PC mode on the dongle. It's not officially supported, so who knows if it will remain this way. If you're a ps5/pc only gamer and don't plan on getting an Xbox, I still believe you should get the one officially supported for it, which is the Non-X.

For anyone else who plans on getting an Xbox at any point, then yes I recommend the X, which atm it will also work perfectly with PS5. I'm not Audeze or Microsoft and so I don't know if it's impossible to change this down the line.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,260 of 7,196
I've been using this headset for over 5-6 days now non-stop. Have read through all 151 pages of this sub and share many of the same opinions on the Penrose as others have mentioned.

Some points to consider:
  • Not an audiophile
  • PC user
  • Heavy gamer - primarily competitive FPS (CSGO/Apex/COD MW-Warzone/Valorant)
  • Previous wireless headsets: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless, HyperX Cloud Flight
  • First time experience with Audeze as a brand and their products

Bottom line:

• Audio is top notch on these. It's the reason we bought them right? Bass is a bit lacking though for my liking, was expecting a bit more. I've played around with EQ settings but have yet to find one that gives me a good bass feel that I prefer, any suggestions please do share! Aside from that no complaints with the sound which is good. Audio in games come to life and these are awesome for hearing footsteps in FPS games, definitely feel more aware in games due to the clarity. No bull hype here. My previous SteelSeries APW had a very muddy sound to them which I didn't like.

• MAIN issue with these: Mic is absolutely TERRIBLE in discord (as many others have noted) Literally all of the people I regularly speak to on discord all immediately said "whats up with your mic?" as they're used to hearing my voice via the SteelSeries APW. The main thing everyone has said is my voice sounds muffled. It's embarrassing to tell them this is the mic coming from a $300 headset from an Audiophile company who touts they've got broadcast quality and collaborated with a well known brand like SHURE. All of them have said my SteelSeries mic sounded much more crisp and clear which blows my mind. For a company to sell a GAMING headset, where voice chat goes hand in hand, to have a terrible sounding mic just ruins these for a lot of people with no secondary standalone mic and are looking for an all-in-one solution. Edit: I should add that they do sound reasonable when I record via Voice Recorder in Windows 10 - so it's definitely possible that Discord might also be making it worse. Will have to play around with the settings and report back.

• Clamp force for me hasn't been an issue. They definitely feel tighter than my SteelSeries/HyperX did out of the box but it's not so bad that I'm at a discomfort - out of the three the HyperX were by far the comfiest but these felt good to me and most importantly the build on these feel like good quality $300 headphones. For reference, when I wear a snapback hat, I close it all the way except for 2 dots.

• Bluetooth/Wireless - When I use both at the same time, I definitely feel like the audio goes lower, or some weird audio levelling is going on here that I never experienced with the APW.

• Range isn't great on these. Both my APW/Cloud Flight were better for range and would still be connected 2 rooms over but these struggle and the lady constantly screaming CONNECTED is super annoying and way too loud. I would have appreciated a simple beep to let me know it's connected

• Cant control system volume via windows or my keyboard volume adjustment knobs sucks but just a minor annoyance. I use my keyboard volume adjustment all the time.

• Audeze HQ app definitely needs work. Would be nice if Audeze gave us some different preset EQ's that they've tuned for different scenarios (FPS, Music, Movies etc) for noobs like me who aren't good at this stuff. Having to plugin the headset just to adjust the EQ or see what volume my mic gain is at is super inconvenient. If the headset isn't plugged into the PC via USB the Audeze HQ app shows no info at all. There should be a way to do this without needing to plug the headset in

• There is definitely a slight whooshing noise in the background that is only noticeable if you really look for it in quiet sound settings.

• No battery indicator???? This is the first headset I've used that never gave me any info on how much battery I have left. Really don't understand this decision

To sum things up, I really do like this headset, they absolutely sound great and the best sounding headset I've owned by far, however I feel like they were a bit overhyped as the product that arrived still obviously has a number of issues that need fixing. Mainly the mic which I think could be a deal breaker for some. I'm still on the fence on keeping these or not, depending on how fast Audeze fixes these problems (which most seem to be fixable via a firmware update).

For the amount I paid for these, I was hoping to receive a more polished product experience like I did with the SteelSeries APW but instead these overall as a complete package (sound, usability, functionality) feel more like a beta test

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #2,262 of 7,196
Clamp force can be addressed with a pillow overnight.

This is genius! I did that for a few hours, and it solved the problem completely. In all the years, I have never thought to do this.. but it makes total sense! Thanks dude!

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #2,263 of 7,196
Is it possible the gel cooling pads are still in stock anywhere? Having just gone through a 40+C weekend here in Australia (in Spring still!) it is going to be pretty unpleasant having to wear these leather style closed headphones through Summer when they arrive, so any way to cool things down is a necessity.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2,264 of 7,196
I've been using this headset for over 5-6 days now non-stop. Have read through all 151 pages of this sub and share many of the same opinions on the Penrose as others have mentioned.

Some points to consider:
  • Not an audiophile
  • PC user
  • Heavy gamer - primarily competitive FPS (CSGO/Apex/COD MW-Warzone/Valorant)
  • Previous wireless headsets: SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless, HyperX Cloud Flight
  • First time experience with Audeze as a brand and their products

Bottom line:

• Audio is top notch on these. It's the reason we bought them right? Bass is a bit lacking though for my liking, was expecting a bit more. I've played around with EQ settings but have yet to find one that gives me a good bass feel that I prefer, any suggestions please do share! Aside from that no complaints with the sound which is good. Audio in games come to life and these are awesome for hearing footsteps in FPS games, definitely feel more aware in games due to the clarity. No bull hype here. My previous SteelSeries APW had a very muddy sound to them which I didn't like.

• MAIN issue with these: Mic is absolutely TERRIBLE in discord (as many others have noted) Literally all of the people I regularly speak to on discord all immediately said "whats up with your mic?" as they're used to hearing my voice via the SteelSeries APW. The main thing everyone has said is my voice sounds muffled. It's embarrassing to tell them this is the mic coming from a $300 headset from an Audiophile company who touts they've got broadcast quality and collaborated with a well known brand like SHURE. All of them have said my SteelSeries mic sounded much more crisp and clear which blows my mind. For a company to sell a GAMING headset, where voice chat goes hand in hand, to have a terrible sounding mic just ruins these for a lot of people with no secondary standalone mic and are looking for an all-in-one solution.

• Clamp force for me haven't been an issue. They definitely feel tighter than my SteelSeries/HyperX did out of the box but it's not so bad that I'm at a discomfort - out of the three the HyperX were by far the comfiest but these felt good to me and most importantly the build on these feel like good quality $300 headphones. For reference, when I wear a snapback hat, I close it all the way except for 2 dots.

• Bluetooth/Wireless - When I use both at the same time, I definitely feel like the audio goes lower, or some weird audio levelling is going on here that I never experienced with the APW.

• Range isn't great on these. Both my APW/Cloud Flight were better for range and would still be connected 2 rooms over but these struggle and the lady constantly screaming CONNECTED is super annoying and way too loud. I would have appreciated a simple beep to let me know it's connected

• Cant control system volume via windows or my keyboard volume adjustment knobs sucks but just a minor annoyance. I use my keyboard volume adjustment all the time.

• Audeze HQ app definitely needs work. Would be nice if Audeze gave us some different preset EQ's that they've tuned for different scenarios (FPS, Music, Movies etc) for noobs like me who aren't good at this stuff. Having to plugin the headset just to adjust the EQ or see what volume my mic gain is at is super inconvenient. If the headset isn't plugged into the PC via USB the Audeze HQ app shows no info at all. There should be a way to do this without needing to plug the headset in

• There is definitely a slight whooshing noise in the background that is only noticeable if you really look for it in quiet sound settings.

• No battery indicator???? This is the first headset I've used that never gave me any info on how much battery I have left. Really don't understand this decision

To sum things up, I really do like this headset, they absolutely sound great and the best sounding headset I've owned by far, however I feel like they were a bit overhyped as the product that arrived still obviously has a number of issues that need fixing. Mainly the mic which I think could be a deal breaker for some. I'm still on the fence on keeping these or not, depending on how fast Audeze fixes these problems (which most seem to be fixable via a firmware update).

For the amount I paid for these, I was hoping to receive a more polished product experience like I did with the SteelSeries APW but instead these overall as a complete package (sound, usability, functionality) feel more like a beta test

So they cheated us with those examples with the mic, right.
And headset without battery indicator for dedicated gamers is an epic fail!!!!!!!!

And yes nowadays we are beta testers
With new games that constantly needs patching from day 1 , with ps5....

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #2,265 of 7,196
Is it possible the gel cooling pads are still in stock anywhere? Having just gone through a 40+C weekend here in Australia (in Spring still!) it is going to be pretty unpleasant having to wear these leather style closed headphones through Summer when they arrive, so any way to cool things down is a necessity.

Yeah i don't understand why remove something instead of adding more choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back