Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,026 of 7,191
Besides the wind noise, which to be fair I only noticed after it was pointed out to me here with song examples, they sound great to me. The only other actual headset I've used before is a Corsair Virtuoso. The virtuoso sounded awful to me, but I only tried it for a couple hours so I can't really comment on the details. Before getting the Penrose I was using Fidelio X2's with a vmoda boom mic, which I still have, but they're kind of falling apart. Between the X2's and the Penrose I actually prefer the sound of the Penrose, but if they're not able to fix the wind noise, or at least significantly reduce it, I'll probably go back the the X2's for now and return the Penrose.
Didn't they say tonight they have a fix coming for this?. I hope they fix it because it does sound like it's quite bad. Was the wind noise loud during gaming?

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #2,027 of 7,191
I may go on record and say these have my favorite sound signature of any headphone I've used. Not as airy as my AKG K701, but damn they're just solid with any genre of music.

This is my first experience with planars. I guess I just really like planars.
Yay! Someone talking about the sound quality :)

Reiterating the posts above - We will be able to fix most, if not all issues with simple firmware fixes. We will start testing some of these fixes with customers as early as next week. Many of the features in Penrose were added after feedback on Mobius.

Regarding some of the features like side-tone and even EQ, from our experience with Mobius, a vast majority of customers never used the App to change any settings. Less than a percent of the users even changed the EQ settings even once. Whilst it is a heavily requested feature, a majority of users do not use them. With Penrose we think it will be very similar. Majority of the customers wont change the default EQ. A small percentage will change it using the App once and once it is saved, will never change it again. Very few people will modify it frequently. But we do understand that this and want to provide the tools for people who want to modify / change it frequently.

Most of the recent platforms are quite flexible and we will be able to add new features and fixes.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,028 of 7,191
Wait what? About the Sidetone function? I never said that's a useless function in general.

You sure didn't.

It was implied with every eh and uh. Go back and read.

I am not sure what you're reading there, but I can't see any implications from MLE about it being useless.

Eh, I talk fine enough with voice chat without having to hear myself. In fact, sidetone is one of the most distracting options and I turn it off with everything that has it. I only turn it on to make sure a mic is working then immediately turn it off.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,029 of 7,191
Didn't they say tonight they have a fix coming for this?. I hope they fix it because it does sound like it's quite bad. Was the wind noise loud during gaming?
They did say that earlier today, I hope they are able to solve it like they say. Also, I wouldn't really say it's that bad, it's just that once you hear it you can't really unhear it. I wasn't able to tell if it was just ambient noise or if it was actually the headphones until I tried the penrose and my X2's side by side.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,031 of 7,191
Yay! Someone talking about the sound quality :)

Reiterating the posts above - We will be able to fix most, if not all issues with simple firmware fixes. We will start testing some of these fixes with customers as early as next week. Many of the features in Penrose were added after feedback on Mobius.

Regarding some of the features like side-tone and even EQ, from our experience with Mobius, a vast majority of customers never used the App to change any settings. Less than a percent of the users even changed the EQ settings even once. Whilst it is a heavily requested feature, a majority of users do not use them. With Penrose we think it will be very similar. Majority of the customers wont change the default EQ. A small percentage will change it using the App once and once it is saved, will never change it again. Very few people will modify it frequently. But we do understand that this and want to provide the tools for people who want to modify / change it frequently.

Most of the recent platforms are quite flexible and we will be able to add new features and fixes.
What platform are we able to change the EQ on? Windows?

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,035 of 7,191
They did say that earlier today, I hope they are able to solve it like they say. Also, I wouldn't really say it's that bad, it's just that once you hear it you can't really unhear it. I wasn't able to tell if it was just ambient noise or if it was actually the headphones until I tried the penrose and my X2's side by side.
Good to know thanks I think I will keep my pre-order then give them a try.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,037 of 7,191
Regarding some of the features like side-tone and even EQ, from our experience with Mobius, a vast majority of customers never used the App to change any settings. Less than a percent of the users even changed the EQ settings even once

Ugghh, I feel your pain, the tens upon tens of thousands of dollars of stuff I have in my warehouse of MUST HAVE items that barely have any use prevents these things from being considered later in life.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,038 of 7,191
I've been playing Spiderman the past hour with the mic on and I still can't hear any woosh. That's one problem I can't seem to replicate. I honestly would love to hear it to confirm it, lol. I mean if Audeze hears it, then I have no reason to state otherwise. But it's so weird.

I didn't turn sidetone on, since people are saying it occurs with or without it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #2,039 of 7,191
Mac? will Iphone be supported too then?
Mac - yes. We do not plan to support apps on IOS. The headset will work with Iphone/Ipad etc. But to have an app control we need to have MFI certification with a special chipset.

Out of curiosity, does any gaming headset have an IOS app for control (EQ or firmware update). Not mainstream bluetooth devices, but low latency gaming devices.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 25, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,040 of 7,191
I've been playing Spiderman the past hour with the mic on and I still can't hear any woosh. That's one problem I can't seem to replicate. I honestly would love to hear it to confirm it, lol. I mean if Audeze hears it, then I have no reason to state otherwise. But it's so weird.

I didn't turn sidetone on, since people are saying it occurs with or without it.

So with Spider-Man I only really noticed it in the pause menu, and in areas where there’s not much sound going on, and a character starts talking. It’s that same whooshing sound I hear when browsing between items in the PS5 menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back