Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,011 of 7,191
Look I am not saying what you say isn't valid but it's been said a hundred times in a mere matter of days on this thread alone. Expedited just means accomplished more quickly People need to learn the art of patience. And yes there have been delays but during a pandemic and with restrictions in place in parts of the world I.e China its no wonder there have been delays you need to take this into account take a step back with a nice deep breath and chill, If the headset isn't up to your standards that's the time to return it And its not just about upgrading it to 2 day shipping as you point out they will only be able to dispatch so many each day this isn't amazon we are dealing with I doubt very much audeze has the capacity to ship everything out in 1 day.
It’s been said a hundred times and addressed never. The only thing that is stated is a round about blanket statement that sits on a fence and won’t commit either way. People are expecting answers and are going to base their decision wait or cancel on those answers. We just got another estimate. We’ve been there twice already. It’s time to command ensure delivery in a timely fashion. If it costs them a few extra bucks per shipment it’s not going to put them out of business, is it?You’re waiting for the x so it’s easy for them to say it’s on Microsoft and you can understand that.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2,012 of 7,191
Something to note on ps5, 3D audio setting HEAVILY, HEAVILY distorts bass, like explosions.

Like it's REALLY noticeable. And it's on everything. Controller input, G6, Penrose, etc.

The moment you turn it off, it goes away.

I haven't had that experience (Logitech G933). I have settled on the lowest position after toggling constantly between 4 and 5. Re did it again when I put my Bose QC20s into the controller the other night too.

To me, Tempest 3D boosts everything, bass, mids, highs, I am still not sure I am happy with it doing this, but I don't find it distorts the bass heavily. I have only played Destiny 2 so far, so no other reference point.
I did notice how much clearer and how many more subtle notes I could pick up with the QC20s over the G933s, so it will be interesting to see the expected improvements from the Penrose.

Of interest re Tempest 3D, I no longer really notice the positional sounds I did when I first calibrated it on day one. Even toggling it off for a while then back on doesn't highlight those positives.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,013 of 7,191
It’s been said a hundred times and addressed never. The only thing that is stated is a round about blanket statement that sits on a fence and won’t commit either way. People are expecting answers and are going to base their decision wait or cancel on those answers. We just got another estimate. We’ve been there twice already. It’s time to command ensure delivery in a timely fashion. If it costs them a few extra bucks per shipment it’s not going to put them out of business, is it?You’re waiting for the x so it’s easy for them to say it’s on Microsoft and you can understand that.
Because it is on Microsoft I have links to them so I checked up and Microsoft uses third-party for Certification and with COVID it led to a delay. Do you not understand that the courier services are strained beyond belief during Covid? A time when deliveries have increased by ten times what it was before Covid. And yes estimates given the situation people should be more understanding they knew this would happen given whats been going on in the world.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,014 of 7,191
Not sure about others but I've tested the range and 25ft is pretty spot on with a direct line of sight to the dongle, for my unit at least. If you have to go through walls or if you have the dongle plugged into the back of your pc hidden away under a desk then yeah your range is gonna be lower, but I still wouldn't really call it limited. What is annoying is the "connected" voice when you do get out of range, but that's fixable. Bluetooth range is also significantly larger, but you're giving up the quality and latency there.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,015 of 7,191
I haven't had that experience (Logitech G933). I have settled on the lowest position after toggling constantly between 4 and 5. Re did it again when I put my Bose QC20s into the controller the other night too.

To me, Tempest 3D boosts everything, bass, mids, highs, I am still not sure I am happy with it doing this, but I don't find it distorts the bass heavily. I have only played Destiny 2 so far, so no other reference point.
I did notice how much clearer and how many more subtle notes I could pick up with the QC20s over the G933s, so it will be interesting to see the expected improvements from the Penrose.

Of interest re Tempest 3D, I no longer really notice the positional sounds I did when I first calibrated it on day one. Even toggling it off for a while then back on doesn't highlight those positives.

I've noticed it on my Astros it's quite noticeable.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,016 of 7,191
Not sure about others but I've tested the range and 25ft is pretty spot on with a direct line of sight to the dongle, for my unit at least. If you have to go through walls or if you have the dongle plugged into the back of your pc hidden away under a desk then yeah your range is gonna be lower, but I still wouldn't really call it limited. What is annoying is the "connected" voice when you do get out of range, but that's fixable. Bluetooth range is also significantly larger, but you're giving up the quality and latency there.
How is the sound quality? Have you had a headset previously which is better for audio?

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #2,018 of 7,191
Thanks to many feedback here and the first person (I think) who agreed to RMA his pair, we understood what was happening and were able to reproduce the low level
feed-back wind-like swooshing sound. It had flown under the radar due to a combination of factors but it was a very simple fix once we knew what was going one. We still want to get some direct user feedback, so we are cautiously optimistic. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for your prompt response and action with regard to the issue. Hope the whooshing noise problem can be fully fixed with just a simple firmware update or such.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,019 of 7,191

Just fyi, on an Arctis Pro Wireless I can go up 2 floors through closed doors and plaster walls, no issues.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,020 of 7,191
Sidetone is a feature. Having it is necessary to me, especially for closed back headsets that have any kind of seal. How do you voice chat without yelling otherwise?

I talk like I normally talk, not everyones brain is the same, yours has difficulty separating the incoming audio with the outgoing expectations, mine doesn't. I wish my other half was like you, she talks to me at the same level regardless of any and all atmospherical audio. Inside house, no external audio, speaks at level A, outside in a thunder, hail, fire, tsunami, earthquake, rock concert, war zone, while walking away with a scarf over her mouth, continues to speak at level A.

On the other hand, on a plane with ANC headphones in, I speak to people as though they have the same lack of noise assault going on as I do.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,021 of 7,191
How is the sound quality? Have you had a headset previously which is better for audio?
Besides the wind noise, which to be fair I only noticed after it was pointed out to me here with song examples, they sound great to me. The only other actual headset I've used before is a Corsair Virtuoso. The virtuoso sounded awful to me, but I only tried it for a couple hours so I can't really comment on the details. Before getting the Penrose I was using Fidelio X2's with a vmoda boom mic, which I still have, but they're kind of falling apart. Between the X2's and the Penrose I actually prefer the sound of the Penrose, but if they're not able to fix the wind noise, or at least significantly reduce it, I'll probably go back the the X2's for now and return the Penrose.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,022 of 7,191

Outside of the woosh and a very slightly noticeable noise floor (pretty normal for wireless cans), the sound is sublime.

The mids are obviously great, and the highs are detailed without being fatiguing. But what really impresses me is the bass. I expected a lack of bass, but I really can't say that's the case. It's not boomy whatsoever, it's just punchy and tight, and has a lot of weight behind it without overwhelming any of the other sounds. Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California sounds amazing.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,023 of 7,191
I may go on record and say these have my favorite sound signature of any headphone I've used. Not as airy as my AKG K701, but damn they're just solid with any genre of music.

This is my first experience with planars. I guess I just really like planars.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,024 of 7,191
I may go on record and say these have my favorite sound signature of any headphone I've used. Not as airy as my AKG K701, but damn they're just solid with any genre of music.

This is my first experience with planars. I guess I just really like planars.

lcd-2 pre-fazor were one of my favorites. I eventually downgraded to my Fostex as I started working at the office more.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,025 of 7,191
Outside of the woosh and a very slightly noticeable noise floor (pretty normal for wireless cans), the sound is sublime.

The mids are obviously great, and the highs are detailed without being fatiguing. But what really impresses me is the bass. I expected a lack of bass, but I really can't say that's the case. It's not boomy whatsoever, it's just punchy and tight, and has a lot of weight behind it without overwhelming any of the other sounds. Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California sounds amazing.
I must admit this Woosh thing does worry me a bit, They said they have a fix coming?. Good to know the sound quality is good that's what counts for me, and the fact that they are wireless. Do you think you will keep them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back