Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,742 of 7,191
No ill intent there, you will notice two handles responding here either 'Audeze' which is our official handle or me (KMann). I am not located at Audeze HQ and do not have up-to-date information on logistics etc, nor do I directly deal with CS issues. I respond and try to help with technical issues in my spare time.

i should have been specific and said not kmann but I just mentioned audeze as I thought that was the username who was handling the issues that I mentioned were not being addressed. I assumed by my post that it was clear which issues I was referring to.
-Expedited shipping
-site stating shipments will go out launch week
-email promise to ship in date order
-email promise to ship by last week.
None of this happened. I’ll wait for that user to comment but thanks for your time with the technical stuff. I’m sure it is appreciated by everyone.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,743 of 7,191
In terms of smoothness: I was/am having trouble adjusting the band by each click. It either doesn't move or I end up applying too much force and adjust by 2-3 clicks when I am trying to adjust by one.

I am also having some disconnect/reconnect issues during meetings, but I have yet to troubleshoot for interference, firmware, and/or different ports for the USB dongle.

Good news is that as use adjust it more, it should get smoother over time due to wear. It might also be worth reaching out to Audeze to see if using silicon lubricant is safe if you want a possible workaround.

For the disconnect/reconnect issues, are you using a USB port on the computer or on a hub of some sort? There was a member here who ran into similar issues attaching the dongle to the USB hub on their monitor. Also, make sure you are plugging it into a USB 3.0 port if you have one.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,744 of 7,191
Is this for the PS5 or PC?
Is the connection stable on the Windows PC (i.e you don't hear windows saying device is connected and disconnected) and the disconnect happens only on your headphone? if yes this could indicate interference or obstruction. Best results are when you have line of sight, when we tested in a large empty room, we were able to get up to 30m range. One simple solution if the dongle is behind are in-between a whole other bunch of connections and ports is to use a simple USB extension cable (1-3feet) so the dongle is easily accessible and visible.

PC only, dongle about 2ft from headphones, clear line of sight. From the looks of it, the dongle is resetting. Maybe pulling too much power while pairing and faulting from IR drop?

Edit:
I made the assumption the dongle was resetting because Windows was losing the audio device each time. On second thought, that's not necessarily the case because turning off the headphones while the dongle remains in place causes Windows to drop the device. One nice-to-have would be leaving the dongle enabled as an audio device when the headphones are off, which prevents defaulting to another device when you turn off the headphones.

The other possibility is that the headphones themselves are consuming too much power during pairing, but that's less likely because having them plugged in/unplugged from power has no effect on the dc->"connected" cycling, and the LEDs don't dim at all.

I just tested by power cycling the headphones, leaving the dongle plugged in, headphones plugged in to a power source, and the dongle 6 inches from the left can. It took 14 disconnect->"connected" cycles to pair, then it was rock solid.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,745 of 7,191
I think we are about to find out what they are all about when it comes with returns and refunds. If they are good and proud of their product, they will stand behind their return policy and offer free refunds to anyone that is having issues or is unhappy. But if they change their tune and give folks a hard time, it won’t be pretty. I do want to say the fact that they even post on forums is more than most companies I deal with, so I have to give them that. Also, the people working there are people as well - and the world right now sucks. So I am going to just say I’m not happy, ask for a refund, and move on. If they make things difficult, that is when I’ll start getting nasty.
Upon looking at Audeze's return policy, they may charge a restocking fee AND customer has to pay return shipping.

I don't know where this "Free Returns" is coming from and how it is "no risk". This would be a hassle if you are out of the US too.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,746 of 7,191
PC only, dongle about 2ft from headphones, clear line of sight. From the looks of it, the dongle is resetting. Maybe pulling too much power while pairing and faulting from IR drop?

Edit:
I made the assumption the dongle was resetting because Windows was losing the audio device each time. On second thought, that's not necessarily the case because turning off the headphones while the dongle remains in place causes Windows to drop the device. One nice-to-have would be leaving the dongle enabled as an audio device when the headphones are off, which prevents defaulting to another device when you turn off the headphones.

The other possibility is that the headphones themselves are consuming too much power during pairing, but that's less likely because having them plugged in/unplugged from power has no effect on the dc->"connected" cycling, and the LEDs don't dim at all.

I just tested by power cycling the headphones, leaving the dongle plugged in, headphones plugged in to a power source, and the dongle 6 inches from the left can. It took 14 disconnect->"connected" cycles to pair, then it was rock solid.

If windows is dropping the device, it certainly points to USB power issue and not a range issue (it should not be a range issue at 2ft, line or sight or not) . With increased distance, the transmitter does require a little more power but at two feet it is still very close.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,747 of 7,191
Same exact issue here. I can even hear it during quiet parts of songs. Its pretty damn bad honestly

For those who are hearing the 'wind noise', are you connected to any other device simultaneously (BT for example), do you hear it when you stop the music vs quite passages in music? Are you using Penrose as the default device and if other applications are open that could potentially use the same device?

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,748 of 7,191
I am curious, does anyone who has gotten their Penrose actually like the bluest blue colors? Trellus is the closest to liking it with his "meh", but I am genuinely curious if that fashion choice jives with anyone.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,749 of 7,191
For those who are hearing the 'wind noise', are you connected to any other device simultaneously (BT for example), do you hear it when you stop the music vs quite passages in music? Are you using Penrose as the default device and if other applications are open that could potentially use the same device?

in wireless mode for me with PlayStation 5 and with aux on Xbox. I’m not connected to Bluetooth as well. No other app and I am pretty sure I hear it all the time.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #1,750 of 7,191
Upon looking at Audeze's return policy, they may charge a restocking fee AND customer has to pay return shipping.

I don't know where this "Free Returns" is coming from and how it is "no risk". This would be a hassle if you are out of the US too.

I am looking at the return policy and it says 30 day return with no penalty. I don’t see any restocking fee.From their FAQ:

“We hope you love your new Audeze headphones, but if you don't, we offer a 30-day return policy with no penalty (assuming nothing is missing or damaged). The customer is responsible for return freight to Audeze using a shipping method with tracking, and we don't refund shipping costs or import duties/taxes. If you decide you need to return your headphones, contact us at support@audeze.com before the end of the 30-day period after delivery.”

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,751 of 7,191
I am curious, does anyone who has gotten their Penrose actually like the bluest blue colors? Trellus is the closest to liking it with his "meh", but I am genuinely curious if that fashion choice jives with anyone.
I dont like the blue at all. I first put the carbon pads from my replacement mobius on, but got curious and tried gel filled copper pads i had on my mobius. This is the sound I became accustomed to! If you have the gel filled give em a try!

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,752 of 7,191

I noticed it immediately upon putting the headphones on and connecting them with the USB wireless. No bluetooth, etc. And I mostly notice it with parts of songs that have quiet spots in between notes. For example, the beginning of “If You Have Ghosts” by Ghost. It’s super obvious at any volume during the beginning of that song.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,753 of 7,191
Once again, objectively false. Stop fearmongering, shill.
Somehow I'm now a shill.

This isn't fearmongering, it's what I was TOLD. It may not work in the future. If you have a problem with my uncertainty, well, I prefer to err on the side of caution and what was told to me by the makers of the product, instead of your assurance of the impossibility because... you somehow have deep knowledge on the inner workings of a product that somehow *I'M* a shill of.

Yes guys, get ONE AUDEZE INSTEAD OF ANOTHER AUDEZE of the same price because, LOGIC. :rolling_eyes:

I'm shilling a specific model because... huh? I must be a terrible shill when I've expressed my disappointment with its mic sound quality in wireless mode, as well as certain usability concerns.

The moment anyone throws out wild accusations, is the moment they get blocked. I don't have the energy to deal with this kind of negativity.

I think it's logical to choose the model that is officially supported for your console of choice, instead of some notion that the X is the ONLY choice.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,754 of 7,191
in wireless mode for me with PlayStation 5 and with aux on Xbox. I’m not connected to Bluetooth as well. No other app and I am pretty sure I hear it all the time.
I noticed it immediately upon putting the headphones on and connecting them with the USB wireless. No bluetooth, etc. And I mostly notice it with parts of songs that have quiet spots in between notes. For example, the beginning of “If You Have Ghosts” by Ghost. It’s super obvious at any volume during the beginning of that song.
Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,755 of 7,191
Pasting in the some user impressions from the Reddit thread, as people are starting to receive their orders:

I got my Penrose yesterday. First few impressions:
  • Sound quality is pretty good. Mids and treble sound great. Soundstage and separation are good. I'm playing mostly FPS and they're pretty good for footsteps and general gaming soundstage. I would have liked more impact and presence on the bass but I'm EQing with Dolby Atmos and seems to be better. EQing on Audeze App lowers the volume even if you increase/decrease any frequency by 3db, so not really using this until we get an update (only used to turn sidetone off). Generally, definitely a step up above my Arctis 7 for sound quality. I have since been using my Philips Fidelio X2HR running through a FiiO K3 DAC/Amp but if I'm going to be honest, the Penrose don't hold up anywhere close to those (granted slightly unfair since comparing against an open back + dac/amp).
  • 2.5 Ghz wireless dongle range is worse than Arctis 7. Not a big deal since I'm mostly at my desk but worth pointing out.
  • I wish there was an easy way to tell battery life. As I understand, the only way is via the light that blinks on the left headphone - blinks yellow when it's getting low.
  • Also can confirm that you can't control volume via Windows, can only be adjusted via the slider, though Spotify volume bar does change volume. I know Audeze is working on a fix for this so props to them on that.
  • I have a smaller head and generally clamping force seems OK to me but I can totally understand people with larger heads may find it to be high. I find the earpads comfortable and no issues with ears heating up so far.
  • Microphone quality is by far the most disappointing. This wasn't that far that up in my priority list but I just expected this to be the same if not better than the Arctis 7. I didn't mention anything to my friends but I hopped onto the discord last night with my Penrose and all 5 people remarked completely independently "hey what's up with your mic man? sounds a bit weird and muffled. not as clear as your mic normally is. check your settings". Surprising that they're implying that the Arctis 7 sounded clearer and they couldn't be biased since they didn't know I switched headsets. Anyway, I was wondering if this could be due to the pop filter that's on the mic. Tried to remove to test but it seems like it's really ON there - maybe glued? Did anyone else have any luck with that or generally improving mic quality? Could this be achieved via software?
Overall, I wish I could say I'm blown away by the Penrose especially at this price point. Maybe my expectations got the better of me. That being said, it's just been Day 2 so I may grow into them more. I'm definitely keeping them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine. I think the mic is pretty good for what it is.

Here's a comparison to my g933

Penrose - https://vocaroo.com/1n73uzqV6ugp

G933 - https://vocaroo.com/1ivKbTUS4J1t

As everyone's mentioned, the headband does fit closer in, so the clamping force is a little more than my G933. Probably will get better as I keep using. It covers my ears more snug than my G933 as the G933 I think has a wider size for your ears. The audio does sound quite better on G933. I'm not pro in audio but it definitely sounds nicer to my ears.

Windows volume as everyone mentioned, don't control the headset volume.

The app needs help. In order to use it at all, you have to be connected via USB. Once you're disconnected, adjusting the mic volume directly from the headset, the app doesn't pick up the value meaning the app completely stops when the headset is unplugged via USB.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed... I want to use it for a few days before making sweeping statements.

I bought it as a replacement to my TB stealth 400x headset, as something that I used for work calls, music and gaming.

Calls and mic quality

The mic itself sounds decent in wireless mode, but seemed sort of flat. I took a voice recording off my old turtle beaches and these and the TB sounded better imo (they are also usb wireless by the way) Also, while on a few calls, my wireless connection dropped once or twice in which prompts the electronic female voice to say "connected!". Also, at times, when there wasn't a real drop i would get crackling / dropping audio... I am about 2 to 4 feet from the USB dongle too.

Music - sounded great. No surprise here, this is audeze and where these really shine. Im no audiophile so I won't lie and try to make any real qualitative assessment on these but I will say they easily sound better than my TBs .

Games - only tried a few minutes on destiny 2 so far but I'd say theyre... "ok". I feel like these would benefit from more bass as it seemed explosions and gunshots etc lacked real punch. Directional audio seemed sufficient. The max volume seems a tad low imo.

Also my fears about this head of mine are probably correct. These are TIGHT. Im legitimate concerned with these long term. I did get used to the clamping force though.

Just got mine about an hour ago. I've noticed a few things immediately:

- The Audeze HQ software can't detect the phones on both mobile and desktop lol (bluetooth for mobile, 2.4GHz adapter for PC)

- the audio definitely skips and distorts over the 2.4GHz connection very frequently, at least every 10-20 seconds listening to Spotify on a PC

Overall, I can't recommend these quite yet until these problems are addressed or fixed.

So if your using Dolby atmos for eqs this is through the pc/console right? I am only asking because I intend to use that on the series X but I am not sure how it will implement wireslessly given we load eqs onto the headset. And then use an eq through Dolby atmos I wonder would they clash? Should I leave the eq blank on the penrose to use atmos? It’s all very confusing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back